Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

VT Riding this weekend?

Thinking about riding Pine Hill this weekend, they seem to be mostly open from what I've heard. Any other VT locations rideable right now? Or perhaps NH? I'm in Northern VT, near KT and Millstone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Fellowship of the Wheel posted this on Facebook earlier...

"Sunny Hollow has been leaf blown and is now OPEN!

Most of the trails are in great shape although some softer areas still exist. The Trail Crew will be out Thursday and Friday leaf blowing Saxon Hill and Mud Pond, respectively. Plan to have them both open by the weekend!"

mtbr member
    What sort of trails can be found at Sunny Hollow or Saxon Hill? I haven't ventured into the Burlington area for riding as of yet. How's the signage?

Moderator Moderator
    If you join Fellowship of the Wheel online, then you can print out maps to both areas.

mtbr member
    It's looking like we're a couple weeks away considering that there's still snow in some of the shady parts. Look to the valleys for the time being.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    What sort of trails can be found at Sunny Hollow or Saxon Hill? I haven't ventured into the Burlington area for riding as of yet. How's the signage?
    Honestly, I have no idea. I live in southern VT and don't have any experience with either trail system yet.

mtbr member
    Sunny and Saxon are both well marked, and both have a sign post with a map at the main loop trail heads.

Conditions at Sunny are great, I rode it yesterday. Looking forward to Saxon, maybe this weekend.

Flo at Saxon is one of the best trails in the state IMO. Sunny has some good stuff, too. In general, the trails are pretty buff.

Climbs on both networks are relatively short, Sunny is steeper, although they are creating more and more switchback routes at Sunny. There are technical sections at both networks, more so at Saxon than Sunny, but nothing super gnarly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

VT Riding this weekend?

Hey 8valvegrowl, that's some great info. Thanks for sharing! Both locations have just been added to my "must ride list" for 2013.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Burlington proper, (Bhs woods and Ethan Allen park) are mostly raked and riding nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Please do not rake in EAP. You will get anti mtn bike group stirred up.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to shoot for PHP tomorrow and try to hit up the BTV area later on. Lots of riding in VT, we're lucky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

VT Riding this weekend?

Pine Hill Park is in good form. I was there today hiking for a few hours. Still a few soft spots, and a few of the trails I trekked had sections with a lot of leaf cover, but overall PHP is very rideable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    You could theoretically get yourself in trouble at both spots too because the fotw trails intertwine with trails on posted land, Camp Johnson being posted land at Sunny Hollow. If you ride out the dirt lane at Saxon Hill, stay on the left as the property on the right is posted and there have been disputes with land owner. The $35 donation to FOTW is well worth it and opens up a TON of riding in Chittenden county.

mtbr member
    Took a ride at Pine Hill today. All the trails I hit were very dry, a couple small damp spots, nothing I would call mud. I have some friends who ride in the BTV area, I'll have to ride with them, sounds like a guide would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Both trail systems are on pretty small parcels of land so you would never really feel lost. There are posted signs at Saxon so It's pretty easy to stay on the right trails (Flo, extendo, and free fall). I've seen on several occasions, giant groups of college kids bombing the old trails through private property. Enough of my rambling. I just secured Monday off from work and the Mrs. and I are going to go ride PineHill Sunday and Monday. Can you spend two days there? I really have no idea of what to expect.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can ride all of Pine Hill in 3 hours. Less if you're fast. But on the second day you can start linking the trails to make them more fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Stowe townloops are open.

mtbr member
    ...Can't wait to hear about Milstone and Waterbury...?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I would imagine Millstone is close. NU trails in Northfiled are close, but that hill is the town aquifer and the many springs are still running above ground. Another week here before it's ready. Waterbury is closed by the state reguardless of conditions until mid-may, but I doubt it's ready to be opened to te public anyway. Wondering what's goingon at STAB and in Pittsfield as far as conditions go. I also hear the Midd town trails are good, and raked. Stuff along the TAM and Chipman Hill Trails I imagine. Also betting Hardack is close. Could be a good time to check that spot out if you haven't. Could do that and Sunny Hollow in the same day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info DaveVT. I'm a member of FOT (for the last 3 years, I'm from the Montreal area) and I might head to Sunny Hollow. I don't know anything about Midd Town trails, TAM, Chipman Hill Trails and Hardack, no idea where those are. I've been to Pittsfield a few times and loved climbing to the top on my SS.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    The issue with both Sunny Hollow and Saxon is that you can't get in a long ride without looping over and over again. If you stay on the Fellowship trails at Sunny Hollow, there is maybe 30 minutes of riding without looping. I can't wait for Sleepy Hollow/HTF/Carse and Catamount to open. Originally it looked like Catamount was coming online this weekend, but now the site says next weekend.

mtbr member
    I rode the entire system today in Pittsfield. Things looked good. There were a few wet spots but they were pretty isolated. I posted the following on FB-- We will OPEN ON SUNDAY for riding (hiking and running all weekend) under the following conditions:
    1.Park at the Bikram Yoga Studio and ride to the Noodles Revenge Trailhead or park at the cabin at the top of Tweed River Drive at mid mountain. There is no way across the river from Amee Trailhead. Need directions? Ask at the Pittsfield Original General Store.
    2.Marginal conditions exist on Green Trail. We will keep it open, but please walk any muddy sections (the same applies for the trail system as a whole.) Riverside Run and Middle Ravine Trail will be closed and we will tape off these trails.
    3.New maps are still about a week or two away. We will try our best to provide updated maps for free at the Pittsfield Original General Store.
    4.About a half dozen fall downs are still scattered around the system. We will cut several of those on Saturday, but doubt we’ll be able to remove them all. Be cautious.
    5. Bubba, our new trail, is some incredible rugged fun, just as we remembered it. It will gain sweetness as it gets ridden in. If you like advanced gnar, give this one a shot.

mtbr member
    How about Leicester Hollow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney Trails (STAB) are about 70% open. But please stay off the closed (red taped) trails - some poachers did major damage yesterday. Here's what's open:
    VT Riding this weekend?-screen-shot-2013-04-26-8.50.50-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Stowe townloops are open.

Did a trail work day on Saturday here and then rode Sunday. For the most part it's bone dry, a few very small wet spots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast