mtbr member
    Feb 2012

VT Riding Question

One weekend in October I'll be back up to KT to end their season with some good friends. Traditionally I head up a night early for drinking and debauchery with an old pal in Burlington.

My question to you, seasoned MTBR fellows, where do I hit on my drive from Burlington to Burke?

I know of Millstone and Perry Hill, one of those? Others? I'm looking for a quick two hour tour on VT trails I haven't ridden. Prefer nothing that will cook me for the weekend ahead at KT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Have you ridden either of those? They are both very worth doing. Perrry Hill is a short ride but has some real climbing in it. If you want a quick loop handed to you come up and do the Stowe Town Loops - flowy and fun and not too taxing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Neither. I want something new besides KT in VT and have a few hours between leaving Burlington and meeting my friends. I was hoping to pick something on the way (last year I got off in Montpelier and took Route 2).

Climbing is okay, since KT is so flowy a little technical, more "classic New England" might be fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You should probably ride Perry Hill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great, also lets me hopefully scoop up some Heady Topper....

Is it easy enough to find info on trails/parking online? Shops I should stop at?

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good advice all around, but good luck getting Heady's on a Friday afternoon! That stuff is getting to be like unicorn horn around here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Eek, that is like, 90% of the reason to ride in Waterbury. Luckily my friend should have some when I see him in Burlington (if he is a good friend that is).

A little googleing shows other trails in the Stowe area (and some threads on here with maps). Granted, Perry Hill requires the least going out of the way, but would someone highly recommend Cady Hill over it? Or anything?

mtbr member
    Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are your best bet to score some HTs. Perry Hill is a great all-mountain experience. Climb up and go back down. Repeat as much as you'd like. More travel the better.

Norwich University trails are another option. They're very close to Millstone and are a ton of fun.

Norwich University Shaw Outdoor Center on Vimeo
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are just going to ride one thing in the area, ride Perry Hill. The Stowe stuff is great, but you'd enjoy it more with a guide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There's some great riding to be had around Chittenden county too. Check out fotwheel.org - local club for the Burlington area. There's Carse hills and the town forest in Hinesburg, and Sleepy Hollow in Huntington - they are all nearly contiguous too, with little stretches of road to connect. Bet there's nearly 40 miles of trail to ride. With just two hours you could probably get the best parts of Carse done - a decent amount of climbing and descent, Preacher and Crucible are some of the best feature riddled trails I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Perry Hill is some of the most fun I have ever had on a Bike. It is worth multiple laps.

Have fun.

trail magician
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    One weekend in October I'll be back up to KT to end their season with some good friends. Traditionally I head up a night early for drinking and debauchery with an old pal in Burlington.

My question to you, seasoned MTBR fellows, where do I hit on my drive from Burlington to Burke?

I know of Millstone and Perry Hill, one of those? Others? I'm looking for a quick two hour tour on VT trails I haven't ridden. Prefer nothing that will cook me for the weekend ahead at KT.
    Waterbury or Carse, you really can't go wrong if you want climbs and thrills. Waterbury is very easy to navigate, and even if the Heady has run dry, you can still hit a really good bar in town for apres. They usually have some cheap HT cans. You can probably find some route suggestions on here, or DM me. Have fun dude.
    Too many trails, so little time!

http://www.strava.com/athletes/645372

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Millstone is actually a really unique experience around here too. It is most definitely worth a visit - naturally cool air blows around the quarry, which are filled with this soft hazy blue water and some really great views too.

Sorry, haven't really answered your question, but you cannot go wrong at any of the places mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Millstone is actually a really unique experience around here too. It is most definitely worth a visit - naturally cool air blows around the quarry, which are filled with this soft hazy blue water and some really great views too.

Sorry, haven't really answered your question, but you cannot go wrong at any of the places mentioned.
    Great mix of old and new. Locomotion out to Fellowsip Ring, then back over to the Rollercoaster/Screamn Demon/Harrington Hgts area. The features on the harrington heights/rdge trails are some of the coolest natural features you can ride and the rest of the work on that side is awesome too.

mtbr member
    Perry Hill is a nut buster for climbing and the trails are a good.

You can consider Sleepy Hollow as well - some real nice loops there - but if you're from Burlington, you've probably hit there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Perry Hill would be your best bet, great trails, easy to navigate, close to 89.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you've got the time and the legs do Perry Hill in the morning. If you ride all of the main trails (climb to Spear - Green, Rasta - Blue, back up to Joes - Red, Yellow out) plan on a good 2 hours for your first run through. It turns into a lot of climbing. It's worth it. Grab a decent lunch and head to Stowe for the afternoon and ride Cady Hill. It's not as technical but it's a good ride. Plan on about an hour if you stay in the town loops, add another hour if you venture off to stickhouse (easy to navigate - there are mall maps complete with the 'You are Here' arrows).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome! Habs, I'm in Mass., my old buddy is in Burlington. Sounds like Perry Hill is my choice. A coworker had an old map and showed me along with recommending it.

SSearch, thanks for a rough time frame. Probably just looking at doing Perry for two hours (the two climbs/loops you describe are what my coworker suggested). I'll be meeting my other friends in Burke for a weekend at KT.

I'm on my Kona Unit set up as 32x18, too aggressive? I rode 34x19 this June at KT but may switch this time to 32x20, would that be better for this climbing up Perry too?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I ride a 36:20 and can make everything there, but often walk up out of Rasta Man, the one that ends down near the Hwy. The first 1/4 mile is a kick in the pants but nothing too nuts. Once you're up in there it climbs really nice on a one speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome! Habs, I'm in Mass., my old buddy is in Burlington. Sounds like Perry Hill is my choice. A coworker had an old map and showed me along with recommending it.

SSearch, thanks for a rough time frame. Probably just looking at doing Perry for two hours (the two climbs/loops you describe are what my coworker suggested). I'll be meeting my other friends in Burke for a weekend at KT.

I'm on my Kona Unit set up as 32x18, too aggressive? I rode 34x19 this June at KT but may switch this time to 32x20, would that be better for this climbing up Perry too?
    when did you get the unit? bike is unreal. geo is spot on.

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A month ago Rog. Although in another thread I believe you called out my choice of adding the 100mm fork haha. So my geo is a bit different.

You've also encouraged me to just ride with the gearing I have, and I have. Don't really see the point in switching so far.

On another note, rode with a buddy and his friends at Mount A this past weekend. Living on Cape they asked if I knew "the Rog". With a bit of 5th grade logic I figured it was you. If you ever make it back this way let me know, SS night Otis tours have been a happening occurrence lately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A month ago Rog. Although in another thread I believe you called out my choice of adding the 100mm fork haha. So my geo is a bit different.

You've also encouraged me to just ride with the gearing I have, and I have. Don't really see the point in switching so far.
    good on ya. gearing down for defying gravity is for the weak

On another note, rode with a buddy and his friends at Mount A this past weekend. Living on Cape they asked if I knew "the Rog". With a bit of 5th grade logic I figured it was you. If you ever make it back this way let me know, SS night Otis tours have been a happening occurrence lately.
    heh. I should take you on my lil 50+ mile cape cod offroad tour where we link up Otis and trail o tears and many other conservation areas and old ancient ways. it's a good one!

I live 6 miles from mt A and haven't ridden the place in years. and only rode there when I lived in nh. time to get back there I guess.

I come down to the cape from time to time and will try to give you a heads up.

"the rog"

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

32x19 works well for most anywhere in Vermont on 29 inch wheels.... I can use it at Perry Hill but I am faster up the climb on a 32x20.

With that said I prefer not to take my SS to Perry Hill in the first place.....

I use 32x20 at Perry, Northfield, Hinesburg, and Carse, and Waitsfield and prefer a 32x19 everywhere else up here.