Thread: VT bike parks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

VT bike parks

My wife and I are going to be traveling (back home) to the northeast. We since moving to the west coast have gotten more into downhill / freeriding types of riding. Whistler is close by so we have spent plenty of time there.

If one were looking for a good representation of Vermont down hilling, which bike park would you recommend? We are staying in the Burlington, VT area. Looking for a half day of riding, leaning more towards natural type terrain, some jumps and wood stunts would be cool but not necessary.

We are both pretty comfortable on black diamond whistler trails

We would both be renting bikes so on mountain or nearby facilities would be helpful. If pedaling is a must would rent a 6x6 or 7x7 freeride-y bike.

From searching it looks like
    Killington = some pedaling (or a lot depending on who you ask)
    Mount Snow = some goods got to know where to look
    Sugarbush?
    How are the DH Kingdom trails off of Burke mountain?
    No more lift-served at Bolton?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    sugarbush is good, went last summer for a race and they had great trails. the chair lift crew said they were building up more trails for this year too

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you have your passports, go up to Bromont.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Funny, based on what I had been reading so far that was a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, any more information is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you dont want jumps or many features then Sugarbush isnt that bad of an option because it is pretty close to burlington and pretty much all singletrack DH stuff

I love burke but they really just have 2 jump trails and 2 mellow singletrack trails on the chairlift. You need to get someone to Shuttle you to the peak to really get the DH goods but the stuff from the top is amazing.

Highland is amazing and has everything but they are over in NH so Im not sure that you want to go that far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. We are leaning towards Sugarbush right now. DH single track sounds good, Banshee Ledgend MKIIIs to demo too

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Make sure you hit east of eden. My fave trail at the place. Domino and ruffed up are nice too.
    Those Legends look like a good time to me.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Welcome to Sugarbush ... if you do make it up here. Be sure to check out Grand Stand>Wood Lot>Big Birch>Burley Maple too. The Racer's Edge mountain cross, Gondolier terrain park and Kyle's Park (just north of the parking lot, you'll see it on the way into the lot) are all worth a spin or two also.

If you have your pedal bikes, you can car shuttle some of the Valley's best trails with significantly reduced climbing. I can suggest routes. jatkinson at sugarbush.com. Check out the map and trail descriptions at madriverriders.com too.

Enjoy the riding where ever you go!

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Short trip report

So we ended up riding Sugarbush, fun natural tech. Unfortunately Irene took out a bridge on burly maple which forced the closure of a few trails in that area that would normally be on the list to check out.

East of Eden was a sweet section of trail; probably my favorite of what was open. The rocks and roll / over the ledge trails were fun too

For the demo bike the 8x8 Scythe was a little overkill, but still fun. Tall short geometry was good for rock clearance, bike was feeling more comfortable by the end of the day. Anyone looking to demo a bike might consider bringing pedals. The cast pins were pretty cheesy and even 5.10s were struggling to maintain traction.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Mr. Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by ortedd View Post
    So we ended up riding Sugarbush,
    good call! nice riding up in them parts

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    I don't like going to bromont for crosscountry... we still prefer waste 2-3h by waiting to cross the line.

I would have some great recommandations in Quebec, but it's damn far from Burlington