mtbr member
    Sep 2009

VT 50 trails conditions?

Anyone know the conditions of the trails, esp. regarding the amount of mud present? Up here around Stowe its pretty dry, but race director is talking about a lot of mud next weekend. Thoughts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    two solid days of continuous rain before race day. it will surely suck. more like VT50 mud wrestling marathon. really disgusted by this! if it weren't for a riding mate, I'll pull myself out of this one and just stay home

MC MasterShake
    I didn't think it was that bad. There was only a couple of un-rideable spots. It's been much worse before. I did not like the re-route in the very beginning. Way too much roadie climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I pushed or carried my bike for about as many miles as I rode it, but I did finish in time. Dismounting every 2-3 minutes hour after hour was a total drag, not my vision of MTB riding. Would anyone know if the Hampshire 100 (km) is half as bad as VT50 trail conditions? it can't possibly be!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I didn't think it was that bad. There was only a couple of un-rideable spots. It's been much worse before. I did not like the re-route in the very beginning. Way too much roadie climbing.

It was pretty bad, not atrocious, by the time I came through. I had to deal with two punctures on my friends bike (from a staple used for sign markers!!), and my chain braking 3 times (and my tool breaking during the second fix). So I had to walk/hike/lower my seat and paddle my feet much more than I wanted to, until a great group of guys helped me get going again.

I agree with all the road miles at the beginning, though. That was a brutal start for me, and I think I went out too fast. Also, I didnt particularly enjoy it. I'm gonna look for more mtn bike dedicated races next year to enjoy I think. I really enjoy the singletrack immeasurably more than the road climbs.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Still running tubes I see...
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No one is happy with the new start route, but it was that or no race. The old route, Brook Road was totally obliterated by TS Irene without a trace, and will likely never return. Be aware that many people spent hundreds of extra volunteer hours dealing with over 16 inches of rain in the last month, saturated soil and washed out roads and routes. Among the several new trails that had to be built was part of a reroute when a town road continued to crumble into the stream and was deemed too unsafe, just 4 days before the race. (And it's not just building or repairing, it's also negotiating with over 80 private land owners.)

I have nothing but admiration for the bikers who persevered through these conditions, but please, don't think that these conditions are what the VT50 was intended to be or will be in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    No one is happy with the new start route, but it was that or no race. The old route, Brook Road was totally obliterated by TS Irene without a trace, and will likely never return. Be aware that many people spent hundreds of extra volunteer hours dealing with over 16 inches of rain in the last month, saturated soil and washed out roads and routes. Among the several new trails that had to be built was part of a reroute when a town road continued to crumble into the stream and was deemed too unsafe, just 4 days before the race. (And it's not just building or repairing, it's also negotiating with over 80 private land owners.)

I have nothing but admiration for the bikers who persevered through these conditions, but please, don't think that these conditions are what the VT50 was intended to be or will be in the future.
    I certainly wasn't dissing the event or the monumental efforts it took to make it happen, this year especially. I would just rather do miles in the woods than on the road, simple as that.

and yes...still running tubes. Why? I have no idea, other than being too lazy to make the switch.

life is a barrel o'fun
    The road parts are probably unavoidable, due to all the private land being used.

Slogging through mud for 11hrs still beats a boring day at work! In addition to all the mud, there was heat and humidity. At least it didn't rain!

Yeah that first climb was cruel, but understandable.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Vermonter to the Core
    I loved the route this year!! The road ridind allowed me to recover and hit the ST with some speed and fun!!!
    Jim- your the man and I love that re-route after GLDW!!!
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)