Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

VMBA's Vt MTB Festival at Ascutney Trails July 13-14

New location - 50 miles of great singletrack rides.
    Info:
    VMBA - 2013 Vermont Mountain Bike Festival

FB Site
    VMBA's Vt MTB Festival at Ascutney Trails July 13-14-vtmtbfest_2013logo.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A sample of the riding at Ascutney Trails:

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Many thanks to STAB for hosting the Fest and building an incredible network. VMBA is lucky to have so many great chapters!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My girlfriend and I are coming up from northeast PA and can't wait ti sample some of VT's trails. Looking forward to a good time. The people that maintain the trails as well as put on these festivals need to be applauded, and not taken for granted.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    My wife and I discovered Ascutney last Monday. We'll be back for sure. We didn't have enough time to bike everything, but what we "sampled" was fantastic. We were alone on the mountain (with our dog...) and had a blast. Camped at the State Park that night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney Trails Glimpse

Mile Long Field is central to the Ascutney Trails Sytem. It always a great place to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Already Booked a 2 bed room condo at Ascutney for the weekend.

This will be a great location for the VT Fest.

Hey, Jim: Will the the other great trail systems of great Ascutney (other than Mountainside-STAB trails) also be featured at the advent??? I hope so!

Liam

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Already Booked a 2 bed room condo at Ascutney for the weekend.

Hey, Jim: Will the the other great trail systems of great Ascutney (other than Mountainside-STAB trails) also be featured at the advent??? I hope so!

Liam
    Liam,
    We plan on a couple of guided rides on the private stash, provided that we get landowner approval. Glad to hear you are coming.

Jim

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My buds and I are really looking forward to it...and I just renewed my Stab membership...summer is looking good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Comment/Question:

1. A major plug for this festival. I came up from southern new england last year, had not really explored VT trails much before and this was an awesome eye opener. Great people, great riding, all around great event. In fact, it inspired me to set up a camping vacation for this year (subject of a later post). Can't wait for this year's event - especially because it's going introduce me to yet another area.

2. On my third year of trying, I finally got into VT50. Will this year's festival feature the 40-50 mile epic ride on Saturday? I hope so. If not, anyone interested in organizing one?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IF2004 View Post
    Comment/Question:

2. On my third year of trying, I finally got into VT50. Will this year's festival feature the 40-50 mile epic ride on Saturday? I hope so. If not, anyone interested in organizing one?
    Unfortunately, the VT50 crosses the land of about 50 different landowners, who give permission for that day and event only. Riding those trails in July might put the race in jeopardy. You wouldn't want to be known as the rider who killed the 50.

The Fest presents about 50 miles of singletrack (the VT50 is about 1/3 singletrack) that you don't ride in the race. This includes guided rides on Ascutney Trails, nearby Cornish Town Forest and French's Ledges, plus some one-time access to some of STAB's private stash. We'll have rides for Techies, Flowsters and Newbies as well.

See you then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry if my question was misleading. Wasn't suggesting a VT50 course ride, I was just wondering if there will be a 40-50 mile guided ride option like there was on Saturday of last year's festival. Just a thought as I'm getting psyched up for the festival. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

We're working on an epic tour for Saturday. It won't be 40 miles, but will include a lot of technical terrain, so it will feel longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are there any shuttle trails on the mountain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Are there any shuttle trails on the mountain?
    No. It is all cross-country biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I can make it up for Saturday only. Is there a 1-day option or do I have to be stealth?

Will there be group rides for all levels (looking for 'advanced' option)

I have 23 tooth cog for my SS that so-far I have only needed for Ascutney..looking forward to it!
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry, we don't have a 1-day price for Saturday. Most of the activities that are included in the price (most of our costs) occur on Saturday - BBQ, band, MTB Olympics, night ride w/ demo lights, guided epic ride, etc. Sunday is just guided rides, vendors and demos, so we are offering a reduced rate for those who can only make it on Sunday. (If you want another guided ride, I'll set you up with a local next time you are here.)

There will be guided rides for all levels.

As far as being stealth, we are planning for retina scanners at all trailheads and surveillance drones will be circling overhead :-) Seriously, just like at last weekend's NEMBA fest (which was way more expensive), we'll be looking for wristbands. Remember, this is the prime fundraiser for VMBA and STAB, and it all goes toward trails!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

"Guided epic rides' ... Do tell more. I probably won't make it but if there is some truly epic riding (worth $50) I may.

How many miles and difficulty is the referenced epic ride?

Have a blast.
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    What's the riding like there? I do most of my riding in the KT/Stowe/Millstone area. I've never been to STAB. Lots of climbing, technical, flowy? Curious what we'll be in for.

beer thief
    I'll chime in to say the riding at STAB is excellent; a nice mix of tech & flow and plenty of climbing if you want it. Jim is a genius at trail layout. Worth $50? Hell yes, worth double that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wondering what tires are best for riding there. Coming from PA with rocks, roots, etc. Ride an RM Element with Trail King up front and a Bontrager XR4 in the rear. GF rides a Giant Trance X2 with Knobby Nics. Will these be ok or would a lower knob tire work better?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    depends on the weather ^

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    "Guided epic rides' ... Do tell more. I probably won't make it but if there is some truly epic riding (worth $50) I may.

How many miles and difficulty is the referenced epic ride?

Have a blast.
    The epic ride is almost 30 miles, of which about 22 miles is single track. Since most of this ride is off the public Ascutney Trails, there are sections of dirt road and double track to connect these trails. There is a lot of climbing and rocky sections. About a third of the singletrack is very technical (no drops or jumps, all XC), and a majority of the rest would be rated Black Diamond at KT.

Since these are private trails, we have to limit the number of riders. Festival attendees who register early are given priority on all ride sign-ups.

mtbr member
    Jimbikeski...Your description (The epic ride is almost 30 miles, of which about 22 miles is single track. Since most of this ride is off the public Ascutney Trails, there are sections of dirt road and double track to connect these trails. There is a lot of climbing and rocky sections. About a third of the singletrack is very technical (no drops or jumps, all XC), and a majority of the rest would be rated Black Diamond at KT.

Since these are private trails, we have to limit the number of riders. Festival attendees who register early are given priority on all ride sign-ups.).......................................

Sounds great! Thanks, We will be there Friday night to sign up for the guided rides. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    I'm planning on going. What little I've ridden down that way was excellent VT terrain. Definitely looking forward to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast