mtbr member

VMBA Festival, Great Time....Post some

Of your pics too.....here is a quick rundown of our trip to VT in July to go to the VMBA Festival. This is my 4th year in a row to go and we have always made it into a 4 day weekend. I connected with LT, Denis and Joe on Thursday at the General Store in Pittsfield VT to ride the Green Mountain Trails(GMT) aka Aimee's Farm. After a relaxed lunch on the porch we saddled up for the climb up the mountain. We started at the Riverside farm trail head and rode Noodles Revenge, Luvin it , Stonewall, Warman,Green Traul ,Labyrinth, Zebedee, climbed to the cabin ,Luvin It , Upper Bubba, Fusters, Escalatoer, and finished on Noodles. Broke a ti rail on my WTB Silvarado SilverLine series saddle right at beginning of ride . We did a nice field repair and it made the whole ride. When we were on Labyrinth we kicked up a yellow jacket nest and I got hit twice and so did Denis. We ran into Matt the trail builder/GMT website creator out on the trail, always good to get the latest 411 on trail conditions and route recommendations from Matt. The riding was great! We also met a very helpful local resident who runs the Kayak service at Kent Pond, had a good talk about the trails and the area. Needed a new saddle so opened my VMBA membership book and called Green Mtn Cycles in Rochester. They had just closed but were going to be working on the owners sons newly build frame(he built it!) , a Hendrix I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VMBA Festival,  Great Time....Post some-image.jpg  

VMBA Festival,  Great Time....Post some-image.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 07-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

Rochester and Green Mtn Cycle....

.....Rochester was about 20 miles away and we made the drive up RT 100. It was a beautiful ride up in the early evening......we arrived to find about 15 vehicles in the shop lot, Thursday night ride going on! Green Mtn Cycles is like no other shop I know, you have to visit to experience it, lets just say I could have spent hours Checking out the merchandise. I bought a WTB Speed V and we got a great recommendation on a place to eat across the street. We made the drive south to Ascutney resort to check in our lodging for the weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VMBA Festival,  Great Time....Post some-image.jpg  

mtbr member

Friday...day 2.....

We loaded up and made the drive north to MillStone, one of our favorites. It had been closed a few days due to the continuous rain Vermont experienced in June. Conditions were just fine on Friday. We did the huge loop and enjoyed great weather too! I did flat at one point down near the FellowShip Area. A new shop has opened up in the Millstone trail building and museum. It was nice to see this addition. We headed back to Ascutney but stopped at Harpoon to enjoy some seasonal s only available on tap and ate dinner there to boot. We got back and went up to e lodge register for the festival and sign up for guided rides.

mtbr member

Saturday....day 3 .....day 1 of festival...

We signed up for the turquoise ride with HunterVT leading and Tom sweeping. There were 12 of us and we left promptly at 9:30 with Hunter and Tom giving us some local color on the area and trail system. They laid out a great route that gave us an overview of the trails to later explore on our own. One of our riders fell off the long bridge on the falls trail....luckily he was OK but he took a pretty nasty spill including being dunked in the water! Conditions were very good with many recent repairs clearly evident and you could also see how high the water got in many spots. Thanks goes out to the STAB group who really made it right for the festival. We stayed together as a group and the ride was perfectly paced. We finished just before noon and headed back to the Holiday Inn Resort and our condo for some lunch.

mtbr member

We decided to explore on our own .....

...for the afternoon....we picked up some GForm Pads and Really nice demo bikes from the Cannondale crew....a Scalpel and a Trigger..both 2014 models....expertly set up and nicely tuned we started on the Demo Loop that the organizers set up and added a bit onto that route....including my 2 favorites of the Ascutney system...Gracie's Loop and Falls
    From Grace. Oh yeah really like almost everything but there was one more that is on the top 3 for me...Hayride...we finished riding at 4pm, showered up and got back to the tents for the evening BBQ.

mtbr member

Saturday evening was really......

......fun...the dinner was very good with plenty of choice on items and you could go back for more if you liked. It was a good time to connect with those you rode with on the guided rides(we heard from friends that the Epic and the Cornish ride were expertly led and put together)...... as well as see friends from earlier festivals.....Martin who rode with us last year at Stowe's Sterling Ridge stopped by to talk along with many others. The Mtn bike Olympic events were a blast, I was laughing out loud at some of the antics....the race on 12 inch bikes w kids tossing water balloons had the crowd go wild. Also the limbo and slow race were really good. The organizers did a super job with the dinner and evening activities.

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 07-18-2013 at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member

Sunday....day 4 of our trip to VT..day 2 festival...

....we arranged to demo 3 Cannondale Scalpel Team Issue bikes for an 8 am start....wanted to get an early start and we were rewarded with a beautiful morning and absolutely empty trails. The Cannondale crew woke early and had the bikes ready for our dawn patrol run. We rode for 2 hours and just caught the 9:30 riders going up the mountain as we were heading down Hayride. Found a couple trails we had not hit on the previous day including Pass the Buck and Quarry Chase, both challenging fun trails.
    We headed back to the resort and cleaned up and checked out. We headed back to Harpoon for more fresh seasonal ales and lunch. A couple people headed home from there but I came back to the festival to watch the raffle and wrap up. We had a great trip to VT and the VMBA festival. The venue was really good and hope it will be there next year, the Sport Trails Ascutney Basin group and VMBA did a great job. Thanks goes out to all who planned and worked the event. Ride on! Post some of your pics from festival here. Thanks.

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 07-18-2013 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    You really got the whole experience, Jeff! Great seeing you guys again. Wish I could've made the festival this year. I'm going to make a point of it next year. From the looks of it, a lot of people decided to combine STAB with GMT to make it an epic weekend. I'll definitely be encouraging the same thing next year.

Just for the record, our trails are on private land and don't have any association with the national forest. Contest Trail and Hayes Brook Trail in the area predated GMT and were the first trails developed for mountain biking in the Green Mountain National Forest. I think I saw a VYCC crew preparing to work on Hayes Brook a couple days ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

VMBA Festival, Great Time

Bikergirl69 and I had such a great time. This was her first festival and she's already asking me when and where the next one is, and can we go. The ride up from PA was scenic and enjoyable. We were able to check in almost immediately when we arrived at Ascutney. The accommodations were very nice and plush. Friday evening we met others we knew from PA, and signed up for Saturday and Sunday morning rides. Afternoons we left to ourselves to explore the many miles of trails. What a blast. So many trails and only 2 days to have fun. It is definitely a place we will visit again to ride. We do hope that STAB and VMBA have it again at Ascutney. Many thanks to all that put in so much time and effort. VMBA Festival,  Great Time....Post some-img_1776.jpg
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

VMBA Festival, some pics

some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VMBA Festival,  Great Time....Post some-img_1751.jpg  

VMBA Festival,  Great Time....Post some-img_1776.jpg  

LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    nice I might have to go next year, and thanks for the topper!

mtbr member
    Looks like you had a great time. I heard all about the McGuyver rig on the seat rails. Very nice.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    We signed up for the turquoise ride with HunterVT leading and Tom sweeping. There were 12 of us and we left promptly at 9:30 with Hunter and Tom giving us some local color on the area and trail system. They laid out a great route that gave us an overview of the trails to later explore on our own.
    It was an excellent weekend. I was in your "turquoise" group ride too (the guy in the NEMBA jersey, SS bike, far right in the group photo). Very fun.

My report for the weekend is on MTBVT.com: Vermont Mountain Bike Festival at Ascutney

mtbr member
    Thanks for your comments and additions MtnBiker64,GMTrails, SlowDave, KuhlKat, and Ant Eater. ......btw Ant Eater....great write up on MTBVT....you really captured the feel of the festival.....certainly didn't realize you were nursing you knee based on how you were riding....and riding Single SPeed to boot.....Ride On!

mtbr member
    This years festival is approaching.....won't be making it for the first time in 4 years....wish I could be there as I am sure it will be fun.....RIde On!