mtbr member
    Aug 2010

video at STAB's Sport Trails at Mt. Ascutney

Just a taste of the 30 miles of XC we've been riding at Mt. Ascutney in southeastern Vermont.
    Biking Sport Trails at Mt Ascutney - YouTube

mtbr member
    nice vid and a fun network
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rode there for the first time last month. Good stuff!

vermonter
    Very nice and the riding is fantastic
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You can now Bank On It!

The crew of 14 that showed up last weekend got Bank On It in pretty good shape. And after a week's work, it is ready to roll. Best ridden from south to north - finally, an act to follow Sluice on the low route back to the kiosk.

Starting out through a scree field (which now has about 300 fewer rocks) it climbs to the top of a short half-pipe, then twists through tight, banked turns and spills out onto Home Again, where you can continue down the bermed turns to Mountainside Drive or head down the boardwalk toward home.

mtbr member
    No POV footage? WHATTT??
    Just what I needed after getting home from Sleepy Hollow but before going to work
    Was that Jimmy or Stevie Ray? Does it really matter?

Finally, how does one get the job of cutting single track with a lawn mower down a ski slope?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Finally, how does one get the job of cutting single track with a lawn mower down a ski slope?[/QUOTE]

Ha ha.
    Of the 50-plus miles of singletrack I've built over the years, Hayride was the easiest mile and a half ever. But it's gotten kudos from the most different riders, from newbies to ninjas.

beer thief
    Planning to get over there in the next week or so. Are the new trails on the map?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Glad you are coming back. I'd join you but still recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

Bank On It and Hayride are both on maps available at the Brownsville General Store (along with spare tubes, etc. a place to wash your bike, and some great food.)
    Last edited by jimbikeski; 08-09-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: came through blank

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    Glad you are coming back. I'd join you but still recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

Bank On It and Hayride are both on maps available at the Brownsville General Store (along with spare tubes, etc. a place to wash your bike, and some great food.)
    Thanks Jim, will pick up a new map and some goodies in Brownsville. Hope you heal well, injuries are no fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Way-To-Go is again the way to go. The big, downed trees have been removed and some flow and fun have been added.

Heading out - Arrow Route > Quiver (don't miss the rock roll-over) > past gravel pit and snowmobile bridge go right and look for 30A on left.

Returning on Paradise Hill double track, watch for Way-To-Go splitting left.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Trails looking solid right now or soggy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum View Post
    Trails looking solid right now or soggy?
    Solid. They were tending toward dusty, so any showers are welcome and absorbed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    HAYRIDE

They hayed it.
    Had to.
    That's what it's for.
    It's what you gotta do.

Don't hate it.
    Don't have to.
    The trail is nearly hidden,
    But still, it can be ridden.

So,
    Got my trail mower out,
    and I knew without a doubt,
    I can fix it - take it slow,
    Clip it close, blades set low.

I mowed it.
    Rode it.
    You'll be doin' fine,
    if you're stickin' to my line.

Or,
    Don't do it.
    Screw it!
    Here's your chance to let it run
    Riding freelance can be fun.

But,
    When the grass begins to grow,
    Random tracks disrupt the flow.
    let the trail become your guide
    'Cuz no rhythm's no Hayride.
    Last edited by jimbikeski; 08-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Beautiful place, hats to all those involved with STAB.

mtbr member
    That place looks sweet. I am definitely going to try to get over there in the next few weeks. I had never really looked into riding there. I watched the vid and and realized what I have been missing. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Trail Day Tomorrow (Saturday)
    STAB volunteers will be prepping/repairing some of the trails used in the Vermont 50. If you want to join us for 3 hours, we meet at the Albert Bridge School in Brownsville at 8:45, heading out to several project locations at 9, returning at noon. Bring gloves, water and rake or loppers or saw or weed-whacker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just heard of STAB today, but I head to VT 3-4 times a season for riding from MA. I think this just made the next trip destination! Thanks for all the great vids and links!

mtbr member
    Does anyone have camping information? Is there any in Ascutney State Park? or somewhere nearby?
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mt.Ascutney State Park and Wilgus State Park (3 miles further away) have camping.

WARNING! This Sunday is the VT50 MTB Race and Ultra Run. It starts and ends at Mt. Ascutney, so half the trails will be closed all day Sunday.

More info: Sport Trails at Mt. Ascutney.

mtbr member
    we camped at mt ascutney state park this past weekend. we had no problem getting a site without a reservation. might be different this weekend with the race. the campground was nice, bathroom, shower, site, fire ring was clean. wilgus looks nicer with sites on the river, as suggested by a guy we met at the parking lot. either one you still have to drive to the trail head.

!snotrocket!
    when do the trails close for the season?
    coastin' along

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rottendan View Post
    when do the trails close for the season?
    In past years, STAB has closed the town forest half of the trail network from November 1st through mid-December for hunting. The other half of the trails, on the ski resort property, remained open.

This year, STAB does not have an agreement with the resort directly, but rather through the town of West Windsor. We will be discussing the closing dates at the select board and town forest committee meetings (both) on Monday night, after which I will report back here. (As well as posting on our website and Facebook page.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Ascutney Sport Trails (all but the hiking trails to the summit) close to all but hunters on November 1st, reopening December 10th. I'm hoping we can ski and snowshoe them then, but if not we'll have to ride (or run or hike.)