mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Vermont Fat (bikepacking, exploring, enjoying)

Group of 4 struck out on Pugsleys to explore the Green Mountains from Pittsfield to Silver Lake and back. We had a first gen Pugsley with Surly racks and panniers, an IGH Nerco with Porcelain Rocket Kit, a single speed with bikepacking kit, and a geared machine with bikepacking kit.

Good times. Lots of pushing. Incredible, if difficult terrain. 56+ miles over 2 days. Day 2 was mostly pave after we got out of camp on the Leicester Hollow trail. We cut out some trail and a longer route option due to freezing rain / snow coming over Brandon Gap.

Day 1 weather was great - cold, but clear. Blue skies. Moving higher into the mountains we had snow on the ground. Lower we had mud and slop and fun. As we setup camp at Silver Lake under headlamps we had snow flakes falling. That came down all night as snow / freezing rain. At 2am everything was white. By the time I got up at 6 to try and build a fire it was all wet and gone.

fatbikes by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2132 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2148 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

chittenden reservoir by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2164 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

QBP glamour shot by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2198 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2220 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

leicester hollow trail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

campsite by mbeganyi, on Flickr

pugsley and contrail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

my contrail and wil's moment by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2280 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

freezing rain, wind, brandon gap by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2316 by mbeganyi, on Flickr
    Last edited by bmike; 11-14-2013 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks like a great trip, thanks for the report and pics!

beer thief
    Excellent, thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    I concur. That's some rugged territory over on the GMNF side of things. The farmers at Amee Farm were blown away by the bikes. That was the first time they ever saw rigs like that. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The more I look at those pictures, the more I wish I could have been able to tag along. I've got a frame bag for my 29er on order, so I'll be ready to go next year!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Awesome trip report. I've never ridden over Brandon Gap but man, that road seems like it'd be brutal. Love this overland MTB stuff.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Nice! Last overnighter of the season, or will you guys get out still when winter comes for good?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    Nice! Last overnighter of the season, or will you guys get out still when winter comes for good?
    Jstews, I was one of the lucky ones to have gone on that trip. It's no cliche to say that it was epic. I have/will do more overnights even as winter sets in. I did one earlier this year to little river state park. Stayed at a leanto. Fatbike now, rigid 29er previous. Hopefully I can get Mike out for another one soon. Maybe a two night adventure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Jstews, I was one of the lucky ones to have gone on that trip. It's no cliche to say that it was epic. I have/will do more overnights even as winter sets in. I did one earlier this year to little river state park. Stayed at a leanto. Fatbike now, rigid 29er previous. Hopefully I can get Mike out for another one soon. Maybe a two night adventure.
    i really want to explore cotton brook / little river on skis... lean to, camping gear.
    of course, fatbike would be good too.
    i'll need a winter bag, or a serious over bag or something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Count me in. I'm in Stowe and out at Cotton Brook a lot in winter, though I usually stay down low on the banks of the reservoir. A couple years ago, I skied out a ways, built a quinzhee, and spent the night. Also, I found a map that shows a connection over the ridge (like we discussed before) between the high point of the Cotton Brook road and Bolton. I'm pretty sure I know where it takes off from, but I'll have to check it out. MTB is out of commission for a week or so (rear wheel **** the bed), so hopefully I can get up there again before the snow settles in. I've run that loop (up Cotton brook road and back down) a couple times, and it is a lot of climbing. Ought to give it a go on skis this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bikecycology I promise to bring lots of fake jerky if you and Mike let me come again. Skis, Bike, whatever