mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Vermont Bicycle Registration Proposal

This is regarding riding on road primarily but thought readers would be interested:

MONTPELIER, Vt. - "I think they've had a free-ride for quite a while and it's time that they need to be part of this," said Sen. Norm McAllister, R-Franklin County.

McAllister represents residents from the Northwest corner of the Green Mountain State. He's proposing a $20 state registration-- similar to a license plate-- for those 18 and older who want to ride bicycles on Vermont roads. He says millions have been poured into widening roads and creating paths for bikers. McAllister says tags would lead riders to adhere to the rules of the road, and help track down stolen bikes. He also sees an opportunity to cash in on Canadian tourists headed south under pedal power.
    Should Vermonters have to register bicycles? - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2014...ntro/S-136.pdf

mtbr member
    I would pay if it meant better enforcement of bike theft laws and harsher penalties. Not being able to register a bike with a filed serial number may also help. Obviously would send stolen bikes out of state so it would be good for all states to adopt something similar. And it should be reciprocal so you only need to register in your home state. Similar to an auto registration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    no support for this from me. paying enough in taxes as it is. what next, toll booths on the sidewalks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    he has a point that SOME communities have done a lot investing in different types of cycling programs, however its still a bad idea. I think it would really hurt the those who maybe use a bicycle to commute to work because they cant afford another method of transportation. I also think that if you are going to tax bikers, why not make joggers and walkers get a special type of registration for the sidewalks? Kinda opens up a rabbit hole that you dont want to go down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i'm pretty sure the cops in my town wouldn't give a shart. population 6,000 and maybe 12 of us ride bikes on public roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Vermont Bicycle Registration Proposal

I would pay if it meant I could get the cops in NH to give a crap about the way motorists treat cyclists. I must get clipped by mirrors 2-3 times a year at intersections....

mtbr member
    i truly don't get it. With problems like obesity, climate change, sprawl, etc. do we need a disincentive like this? How much money do cycling tours and out of state cyclists bring to Vermont? Will they be required to put goofy little plates on their bikes as well? This is assuming such a statute would even be enforceable. The die hards would rebel in droves and the sedentary wouldn't even bother. I imagine enforcement would be fairly arbitrary. What a joke!

icanseeformiles(andmiles)
    altho' I reside in Maine, I live in Ludlow during the winter. What are the chances of a republican getting any legislation passed in Montpelier?
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    To differentiate riders by the type of surface frequented is IMO the height of foolishness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraxis View Post
    I would pay if it meant I could get the cops in NH to give a crap about the way motorists treat cyclists. I must get clipped by mirrors 2-3 times a year at intersections....
    Well, now it's illegal to throw things at cyclists in VT...I wasn't aware that it was ever legal...

Yes pretty soon you will be taxed on how many times per day you crap in VT. Oh wait, i pay $250/qtr for water and sewer nvm.

JDM
    mtbr member
    meh. It doesn't seem to be worth getting worked up for either way. I'd pay it without complaint if it came to NH, but I'm not dying for it either. It would probably help a little with some of the things mentioned. The extra safety and quality of roads would probably be worth about what you'd expect to get for $20/yr.

I'd love to get at least 1 hr of trail work a year from each mountain biker. We could really do something with that!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would voluntarily contribute to a fund in NH, if they actually used the money for the designated purpose of widening or improving our lousy road. However, the legislature is famous for robbing funds like this to enhance the general fund. They did so with designated funds for land protection, and any number of other programs....

JDM
    mtbr member
    Lousy roads!? We have great roads in NH.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but the kicker is this bill may not even raise enough money to help pay for infrastructure, assuming it was proposed for that reason. It just appears to be, in effect, another incentive to keep people sedentary, and certain constituencies happy.

I found this from Localmotion, a major voice for human powered transportation in VT.:

BIKE REGISTRATION: This Senate bill would require Vermont adults to annually register their bicycles with the State. Local Motion opposes this bill for three main reasons:
    1) It is unlikely that a bike registration would raise substantially more money than it would cost to administer this additional program
    2) It could put a damper on Vermont's growing bicycle tourism industry -- how would police know which cyclists are tourists (and don't need a registered bike) and which cyclists are residents -- without pulling them over?
    3) It puts up another barrier to Vermonters partaking in a healthy activity that many of our State's plans are trying to encourage

Support 3-Foot Passing; Opppose Bike Registration