skiing/biking is life....

Update on Gas Can trails in Randolph, VT

Ok, so here's a little update on the trails near the old Gas Can trail in Randolph, VT. I was up there this past Sunday morning and attempted to ride the trails since I haven't been up there in a few years. I was slightly surprised instead.

A little background.. 8 years ago my college buddies and I would ride these trails all the time, they were ultra buff, kinda kingdom trails style flowy trails... ok now fast forward to the present......

I'm not sure what's happened in the past 3 years since i've been there, but I couldn't find a trace of some of the old trails I'd previously loved and ridden on a lot! I managed to find the end of the Rock and Roll Glades (across from the cabin), and only was able to ride about 200 feet of it before the trail became un-traceable. I did manage to find Solar Junkyard and Twister. I rode down Twister and climbed back out and ended up on the fire road the brought me back up to the main road. Found a "New" to me trail called Bump, looked neat, but needed some cleaning out. I'm hopeing that it's still just early in the season, and that these trails aren't lost forever. I knew about the Gas Can closure, but I didn't hear about any others. I didn't head down the hill far enough to ride X-files, but I imagine that is in the same shape as the others..

I didn't get a chance to stop in a Zac's and ask him what the scoop was since it was mothter's day and I was running late.. but till next time I suppose! Maybe all the place needs is a trail day!

Dave
    Last edited by djspookman; 05-18-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Black Lion
    Very cool.
    I rode those trails a bit back in the day as well, and loved them.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We used to pilgramage down the every year as well, then Gas Can got closed and we kinda stopped. Gas Can is the ****. Thanks Zac. Even if it's gone, it's not forgotten.

One-Winged Angel
    I rode those trails (my first season on a bike) three times last year and they were pretty lung-blowing trails. really kicked my butt.

But you're right: hard to navigate, and a little sloppy.

mtbr member
    I moved to Randolph last fall, and never had time to ride (job searching, then working, then winter)

I've picked up on the legend of Randolph, and the Gas Can trails, but have never had a chance to ride them (maybe this weekend i'll finally check it out). What happened to this place? There used to be a MTB festival here, and i guess this place was a bit of a mecca for Northeast riders.

If any of you guys live in the area, or know how to get in contact with Zac (i've never met him, but already he seems legendary), i'd love to help clean up those trails, and get this place back to its former glory.

-MrMook

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There is some access issues at the bottom of the Gas Can.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    I moved to Randolph last fall, and never had time to ride (job searching, then working, then winter)

I've picked up on the legend of Randolph, and the Gas Can trails, but have never had a chance to ride them (maybe this weekend i'll finally check it out). What happened to this place? There used to be a MTB festival here, and i guess this place was a bit of a mecca for Northeast riders.

If any of you guys live in the area, or know how to get in contact with Zac (i've never met him, but already he seems legendary), i'd love to help clean up those trails, and get this place back to its former glory.

-MrMook
    MrMook,

The only way I know how to get a hold of Zac is by knocking on his door. He lives in the field at the top of the Braintree Hill Rd. My guess is he's been busy finishing his house.

I'd be up for doing some trail days up there, but I live so damned far away from there now, that's not really an option... but this summer will tell for sure!

dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    There is some access issues at the bottom of the Gas Can.
    I always go up Braintree Mountain road instead and park at the towers and follow the class 4 road thru the cornfield and into the woods. No access issues know there.

dave