mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Upset TWO BIKES STOLEN at Bradbury Mountain State Park, Maine

Hello,

My name is Holly Blanchard and I live in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York. This past weekend, after a fun-filled VMBAfest at Ascutney, I traveled to Maine to ride at Bradbury Mountain. My BIKES (yes, plural) were stolen from our campsite. The thief was so determined to steal them that he cut through a Kryptonite lock in broad daylight in a public place.

Stolen were: 2013 STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP EVO 29er
    2011 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX COMP COMPACT SAXO BANK EDITION

I've created a Facebook page and am hoping to spread the word among the greater New England biking community in hopes of recovering my bikes. One of my bikes has already appeared for sale on Craigslist in Massachusetts (unbelievable, I know) - and we tried to track down the thief, but have been unsuccessful.

Please visit the page, share it, and keep your eyes open for these bikes. They are my pride and joy!!

Thank you!!!

-Holly

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-F...70753666439760
    Last edited by HollyB; 07-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    That sucks. We do not have a big bicycle theft problem in Maine. Even in the urban areas. I would think it was a crime of opportunity but with the Kryptonite lock cut it would seem it was targeted. I was there on Sunday riding. I will keep an eye out in Portland. I live and work downtown and see lots of bikes. I can usually tell when a bike does not match it's rider.

That is pretty ballsy as the campsites are near the road and lots of bikers go right by them on the trails.

Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? Most policies will cover bikes. Also, Kryptonite might be worth a call if you have the cut lock.

If you have proof you own the bike that is on Craigslist then the local police for that area should be able to help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks so much for replying. I had no qualms about leaving my bikes locked up at Bradbury. I wouldn't have left them just sitting there, but totally secured I was fine with. I was shocked to say the least! The fact that they left my boyfriend's bikes sitting there (which are much more custom/boutique brand - less "street value", no flashy logos...) indicates to me that this person is a professional. He had the stumpjumper posted on craigslist less than 24 hours after he stole it and offered to sell it to me for $3,000 cash (I was posing as a potential buyer).

Renter's insurance doesn't cover fancy bikes over $300. I could have purchased a rider for each of my bikes...but that would have cost a lot (I looked into it...and decided against it). Kryptonite lock was not mine, so I can't go that route.

I do have proof of ownership of both bikes. Receipts, serial numbers and the like.

Thanks for keeping an eye out in Portland. Let's catch this dude!

In the meanwhile...I'm accepting donations for new bikes

Seriously though - the bike community has been amazing. Even if I never see my bikes again, my faith in humanity has been restored.

mtbr member
    Good luck Holly and great attitude in spite of the lousy circumstances. Social media is a very powerful tool and hopefully it can be used to track down this SOB. Most if not all of the bike shops and EMS in Maine have FB pages. Make sure you hit all of them. We are a fairly tight knit group in Maine so I suspect the thief is not a rider or is not from around here.

Maybe your BF's bikes were left alone because someone came by.

Did you report this to the rangers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes, we reported to the rangers (very helpful) and police (took a formal report). There is an update that I'd like to spread here, which is posted on my FB page as well. Without getting into details, too many of the facts line up for me not to post this.

POTENTIAL PERSON OF INTEREST: When we were at Bradbury, there was a guy driving a silver Prius with Colorado plates loaded to the hilt who was camping solo directly across from our campsite. He had a Wave Sport EZ kayak and a Turner Flux mountain bike mounted on the trunk. We have been contacted by people who spoke with him at the campground on Sunday (the day the bikes were stolen) and suspect him. He may have been headed to New Hampshire (where the thief tried to sell me my bike back) or the Kingdom Trails in Vermont.

If the car is spotted and the bikes are present please call the cops. We don't know if the person is the thief so please don't overreact. He may just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time and attracted unwarranted suspicion. Just something to keep your eyes open for.

Thanks again!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Holly,
    Sorry to hear it. That was a nice bike - I rode with you at the VT MTB Fest. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get my serial number, picture, etc. together. You had a donation site, but now I can't find it.

mtbr member
    If not the Prius then maybe he saw something. The Rangers should have his license plate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Small world, Jim! Jim - our guide for the day? That was a great ride you took us on, thank you. Hope to see you out there soon!

Help Holly Get Back on the Road and Trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yep - I've contacted the Ranger and have asked for their help.