Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fda47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    268

    Trails in New England similar to posted pic

    I'm dumb, don't know how to describe the trails so I'll just show the pic {taken from ferday's post on Passion forum}. Suddenly had the urge to make a 1-day epic ride but want it to be at a place similar to the pic below, without leaving the confines of New England. I live in NH, btw.

    Just want to ride and have that on-top-of-the-world feeling I like riding in the woods and all the technical terrain I can handle but there's just something about trails like this.


    2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    That isn't in new england is it?

    I've seen someone post some pics from the camden ME area that pretty epic. But not all day epic i don't think.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fda47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    268
    Yeah I don't think that pic is in New England though I wish it was.

    I may have overstated the full day epic ride, kinda. Really just looking for an epic ride of some sort on higher elevations. Not gnarly type trails either, but something that can be enjoyed for hours without killing me

    2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

  4. #4
    cranktankerous Mainer
    Reputation: Toddski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    597
    2003 NH trip up and over South Baldface from Highwater Trail. Pre "Wilderness" so not legal anymore, bummer. It was a major slog, but we were high and it was epic!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Toddski; 10-07-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    383
    Closest place I can think of is Heaven's bench/ Upper J-bar at Kingdom trails.

  6. #6
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11 View Post
    Closest place I can think of is Heaven's bench/ Upper J-bar at Kingdom trails.
    The top half of Upper J-bar is anything but the buff singletrack shown in his photo. But the lower half and most of J-bar is pretty smooth and flowy.

    The fact is there is very little smooth "high elevation" singletrack like that in New England. I found tons of it on a recent CO trip, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trails in New England similar to posted pic-monarch-crest-1-large-.jpg  

    Trails in New England similar to posted pic-rainbow-tr-2-large-.jpg  


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manchvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    928
    ummm, all day ride... northconway?
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

  8. #8
    2OFME
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    128
    We've mtn biked the whole Belknap range before. It's not like your picture, but it is all day epic and is about as much hiking as it is biking.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski View Post
    2003 NH trip up and over South Baldface from Highwater Trail. Pre "Wilderness" so not legal anymore, bummer. It was a major slog, but we were high and it was epic!
    Wow, that's pretty sick! I've been there many times. Never on a bike though. And only in the winter.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fda47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    268
    Thanks all.

    Bummer the pic posted by Toddski would've been awesome.

    @manchvegas & onrhodes: north conway and belknap? May have to look into that.

    @radair: too bad we'd have to go to CO to experience such trails. One day, I just might convince myself to make the trip.

    Haven't ventured into the burke mountain trails yet. I'll see if we'll have time this weekend.

    2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

  11. #11
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,206
    FDA, check out the Wapack Trail, 21 miles, lot's of on top ridge riding, guessing lots of hike a biking as well.
    beaver hunt

  12. #12
    2OFME
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    128
    Not to be a buzz kill, but bikes are not allowed on the Wapack trail. See their website.
    Frequently asked Questions - Friends of the Wapack

  13. #13
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes View Post
    Not to be a buzz kill, but bikes are not allowed on the Wapack trail. See their website.
    Frequently asked Questions - Friends of the Wapack
    Note that your link is to the Friends of the Wapack's website, not the land managers' sites. Their wording is a bit suspect: The Wapack Trail is a footpath. It is not appropriate for use by wheeled or motorized vehicles of any kind. The tread way is fragile and easily damaged by wheels of any kind. Damage made in a moment can last for years, causing severe erosion and serious damage to fragile plant and animal species. Most, if not all, of the federal and state agencies, and private landowners who own the Trail land, do not permit wheeled vehicles to traverse the Trail across their lands. Please respect their wishes, and respect this historic, fragile Trail's integrity as a footpath.

    If the Wapack is as fragile as they suggest, then they shouldn't be hiking on it either.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1

    Chile

    Hi Guys,

    You are all invited to Chile. There is tons of trails and places to go, where ever you look you see a mountain, so great place for mountain biking.

    A big hug to all
    Sebastian

  15. #15
    2OFME
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Note that your link is to the Friends of the Wapack's website, not the land managers' sites. Their wording is a bit suspect: The Wapack Trail is a footpath. It is not appropriate for use by wheeled or motorized vehicles of any kind. The tread way is fragile and easily damaged by wheels of any kind. Damage made in a moment can last for years, causing severe erosion and serious damage to fragile plant and animal species. Most, if not all, of the federal and state agencies, and private landowners who own the Trail land, do not permit wheeled vehicles to traverse the Trail across their lands. Please respect their wishes, and respect this historic, fragile Trail's integrity as a footpath.

    If the Wapack is as fragile as they suggest, then they shouldn't be hiking on it either.
    I'm not going to get into a useless debate with you about the authority they have to make that statement or not and how "suspect" their wording is.
    I can say that I am going to abide by that request.
    Unless things have changed, I know that Windblown XC center told me back in the winter of 2007-2008 that they did not allow mtn bikers on their property, including the Wapack section. I skied there and heard it directly from the employee (owner?) when I asked if they allowed mtn bikes in the summer months.
    Since the trail goes right through their property, I'd say that is a pretty definitive answer that gives a lot of weight to the statement from the Friends of the Wapack.

  16. #16
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,206
    WahhhhhPackk... Just leave no trace, it's all good then.
    beaver hunt

Similar Threads

  1. Most Technical Trails in New England?
    By gnar602 in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM
  2. Pemberton - Similar Trails?
    By orangedog in forum Arizona
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
  3. Best bike for me? (new england trails)
    By vomitron in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 09:25 AM
  4. Google Map of New England Trails
    By woodsguy in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
  5. Tire recomendations for New England trails?
    By MTB1986 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 11:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •