mtbr member

Trails in New England similar to posted pic

I'm dumb, don't know how to describe the trails so I'll just show the pic {taken from ferday's post on Passion forum}. Suddenly had the urge to make a 1-day epic ride but want it to be at a place similar to the pic below, without leaving the confines of New England. I live in NH, btw.

Just want to ride and have that on-top-of-the-world feeling I like riding in the woods and all the technical terrain I can handle but there's just something about trails like this.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    That isn't in new england is it?

I've seen someone post some pics from the camden ME area that pretty epic. But not all day epic i don't think.

mtbr member
    Yeah I don't think that pic is in New England though I wish it was.

I may have overstated the full day epic ride, kinda. Really just looking for an epic ride of some sort on higher elevations. Not gnarly type trails either, but something that can be enjoyed for hours without killing me

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

cranktankerous Mainer
    2003 NH trip up and over South Baldface from Highwater Trail. Pre "Wilderness" so not legal anymore, bummer. It was a major slog, but we were high and it was epic!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Toddski; 10-07-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Closest place I can think of is Heaven's bench/ Upper J-bar at Kingdom trails.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11 View Post
    Closest place I can think of is Heaven's bench/ Upper J-bar at Kingdom trails.
    The top half of Upper J-bar is anything but the buff singletrack shown in his photo. But the lower half and most of J-bar is pretty smooth and flowy.

The fact is there is very little smooth "high elevation" singletrack like that in New England. I found tons of it on a recent CO trip, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trails in New England similar to posted pic-monarch-crest-1-large-.jpg  

Trails in New England similar to posted pic-rainbow-tr-2-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    ummm, all day ride... northconway?
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    We've mtn biked the whole Belknap range before. It's not like your picture, but it is all day epic and is about as much hiking as it is biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski View Post
    2003 NH trip up and over South Baldface from Highwater Trail. Pre "Wilderness" so not legal anymore, bummer. It was a major slog, but we were high and it was epic!
    Wow, that's pretty sick! I've been there many times. Never on a bike though. And only in the winter.

mtbr member
    Thanks all.

Bummer the pic posted by Toddski would've been awesome.

@manchvegas & onrhodes: north conway and belknap? May have to look into that.

@radair: too bad we'd have to go to CO to experience such trails. One day, I just might convince myself to make the trip.

Haven't ventured into the burke mountain trails yet. I'll see if we'll have time this weekend.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

the train keeps rollin
    FDA, check out the Wapack Trail, 21 miles, lot's of on top ridge riding, guessing lots of hike a biking as well.
    beaver hunt

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Not to be a buzz kill, but bikes are not allowed on the Wapack trail. See their website.
    Frequently asked Questions - Friends of the Wapack

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes View Post
    Not to be a buzz kill, but bikes are not allowed on the Wapack trail. See their website.
    Frequently asked Questions - Friends of the Wapack
    Note that your link is to the Friends of the Wapack's website, not the land managers' sites. Their wording is a bit suspect: The Wapack Trail is a footpath. It is not appropriate for use by wheeled or motorized vehicles of any kind. The tread way is fragile and easily damaged by wheels of any kind. Damage made in a moment can last for years, causing severe erosion and serious damage to fragile plant and animal species. Most, if not all, of the federal and state agencies, and private landowners who own the Trail land, do not permit wheeled vehicles to traverse the Trail across their lands. Please respect their wishes, and respect this historic, fragile Trail's integrity as a footpath.

If the Wapack is as fragile as they suggest, then they shouldn't be hiking on it either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Chile

Hi Guys,

You are all invited to Chile. There is tons of trails and places to go, where ever you look you see a mountain, so great place for mountain biking.

A big hug to all
    Sebastian

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Note that your link is to the Friends of the Wapack's website, not the land managers' sites. Their wording is a bit suspect: The Wapack Trail is a footpath. It is not appropriate for use by wheeled or motorized vehicles of any kind. The tread way is fragile and easily damaged by wheels of any kind. Damage made in a moment can last for years, causing severe erosion and serious damage to fragile plant and animal species. Most, if not all, of the federal and state agencies, and private landowners who own the Trail land, do not permit wheeled vehicles to traverse the Trail across their lands. Please respect their wishes, and respect this historic, fragile Trail's integrity as a footpath.

If the Wapack is as fragile as they suggest, then they shouldn't be hiking on it either.
    I'm not going to get into a useless debate with you about the authority they have to make that statement or not and how "suspect" their wording is.
    I can say that I am going to abide by that request.
    Unless things have changed, I know that Windblown XC center told me back in the winter of 2007-2008 that they did not allow mtn bikers on their property, including the Wapack section. I skied there and heard it directly from the employee (owner?) when I asked if they allowed mtn bikes in the summer months.
    Since the trail goes right through their property, I'd say that is a pretty definitive answer that gives a lot of weight to the statement from the Friends of the Wapack.

the train keeps rollin
    WahhhhhPackk... Just leave no trace, it's all good then.
    beaver hunt