Huckin' trails

Trails near Burlington for this weekend ??

Heya form canada guys

I'll be going down to Burlington area this weekend with my dad and brother. Dads gonna go fishing and me & my bro are getting ur bikes haul down for free

So I know about Kingdom trails (I've heard about it), but since my transport will be dropping me in a max 30min radius from Burlington, I can't make it that far. So I'm looking for some trail riding around there, me and my bro will be dropped in the morning and our transport will pick us up in the evening.

What are the conditions right now ? Mud, dry, cold, windy, etc ? Just to be prepared

Any suggestions and info or links ?

I'm looking for XC to AM, but no hardcore AM.

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Most of the riding is closed as of today, but should dry out by the weekend. Next two nights will be about freezing temps, but days will be warming into the 60's then 70's by the weekend. Should be a great riding weekend,

Fellowship of the Wheel - Home

Huckin' trails
    Sunny Hollow Park looks like its the way to go for this weekend, thanks

But is there any trail head/office where we need to check in/paid for the trail access and use ?

And I just google it and found trails.mtbr.com info on it... Looks like a park and go trail, no? Just go there and ride ? Is a 4" (100mm) FS bike will do great ? I think so.

Thanks,

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    No need to check/sign in. It's a town park with open access. Just park, unload, and rip. And sure, a 4" bike will be great there, the upper trails are pretty buff and the advanced trails aren't really that techy, so you should be good to go. Jus tgot back from a lunch time ride there a little while ago, it's riding very nicely right now, and not very wet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sunny hollow will fit the bill that close to town... otherwise hinesburg town forest if it is open, but it might be further out than you want to travel.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    sunny hollow will fit the bill that close to town... otherwise hinesburg town forest if it is open, but it might be further out than you want to travel.
    Well as long as I get to ride my bike somewhere else then downtown traffic, I'm happy. And I'm even happier when I don't have silly asphalt under my wheels

And the closest to town, the easier it will be to get there soon and get out late, with minimum PITA for my dad who wanna go catch salmons...

You guys are lucky being there in VT... although you might be saying the same about Quebec

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can ride from town or back. Not a ton of trails there, but you cab get lost in some of the unsigned stuff. And there is some really local stuff tucked in town behind the high school, which I ride 2 or 3 times a week before the little one gets up.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    You can ride from town or back. Not a ton of trails there, but you cab get lost in some of the unsigned stuff. And there is some really local stuff tucked in town behind the high school, which I ride 2 or 3 times a week before the little one gets up.
    Yeah, I've seen the high school trail map today on the webz. Might give it a try too... And I got a GPS. Is there enough trails to ride for at least half-day in Sunny Hollow Park ?

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Come to Stowe and ride the Leafblower Classic. Stowe Mountain Bike > HOME

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Come to Stowe and ride the Leafblower Classic. Stowe Mountain Bike > HOME
    Hey ! That look awesome man !

I guess I'll change my plans to get that race going on !

I've never been into a race before, and this one looks like a good opportunity to have fun while riding with nice people

Too bad it's my bro who have the GT XCR i-Drive at 27lbs, full suspension 100mm... I will have to do with my 36lbs, 80mm full suspension trail bike... But I have the advantage f a 203mm disc brake on my rear, while he has only v-brake, so if its a bit muddy, I might have a chance with my trusty BB7 !

But still nice. I don't have to win to have fun !

Are you gonna be there ?

David

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Hey ! That look awesome man !

I guess I'll change my plans to get that race going on !

I've never been into a race before, and this one looks like a good opportunity to have fun while riding with nice people

Too bad it's my bro who have the GT XCR i-Drive at 27lbs, full suspension 100mm... I will have to do with my 36lbs, 80mm full suspension trail bike... But I have the advantage f a 203mm disc brake on my rear, while he has only v-brake, so if its a bit muddy, I might have a chance with my trusty BB7 !

But still nice. I don't have to win to have fun !

Are you gonna be there ?

David
    this isnt a race, just a ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    this isnt a race, just a ride.
    and you'll hopefully learn some secret handshakes for riding in stowe!

Huckin' trails
    Race... ride... what's the difference ? I'm riding my bike in the dirt with fellows MTBers...

That's all we need to have fun

David

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Where in Burlington will you be staying? You can put together a ride right from town. Head down the Burlington Bike path to the trails behind the High school then cross North Ave. into the trails in Eath Allen Park. Take the bike/walking bridge over route 127 to the intervale (dirt farm road) up to riverside ave into Winooski,( a few miles of pavement), to Sunny Hollow. End in Burlington hitting the farmhouse for a post ride brew. P.M me for more details

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by murph62903 View Post
    Where in Burlington will you be staying? You can put together a ride right from town. Head down the Burlington Bike path to the trails behind the High school then cross North Ave. into the trails in Eath Allen Park. Take the bike/walking bridge over route 127 to the intervale (dirt farm road) up to riverside ave into Winooski,( a few miles of pavement), to Sunny Hollow. End in Burlington hitting the farmhouse for a post ride brew. P.M me for more details
    Sounds good. I'll be staying about halfway between Converse bay and The sandbar at Apple Island, so maybe a bit south of Burlington town... Last time we ended up at the NorthStar Motel, might go back there again...

I'll PM ya.

Thanks,

David

Huckin' trails
    Is there anyone looking to get riding with us this weekend ?

It would be great to have some locals to show us around We know a few fishermen from the Lake Champlain, but no much bikers... And you guys are very nice people too

Thanks,

David

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Is there anyone looking to get riding with us this weekend ?

It would be great to have some locals to show us around We know a few fishermen from the Lake Champlain, but no much bikers... And you guys are very nice people too

Thanks,

David
    I wish I was off, id show you around. You get to the leaf blower yesterday?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I wish I was off, id show you around. You get to the leaf blower yesterday?
    Unfortunately, we were not able to make it in time, but we went to Sunny Hollow from 9 to 5 today and had a very nice day on the trails. We did more then 30km, split in 3 periods of riding.

Pics soon

David

Huckin' trails

Good job! Here's the ride details :)

We were planning on getting to the Leaf Blower on saturday, but we were too short in time, so we decided to leave home saturday before lunch, and visit friends around Burlington and maybe hit the trails a bit. Unfortunately, we got stuck to the borders for 2h long... Meanwhile, a guy on a bike that we passed on the road about half-hour ago just came right behind us while we were waiting for the borders, so I spoke with him... Funny, he was coming from Montreal too, 73km, 3.5 hours non-stop, and he was going to Vermont for a little ride... So I took my bike out, mount the front wheel and I went riding the neutral zone with him... at least we had a great sunny day and it was calm.

We hit a fly with the antenna

Then we finally went through the customs and hit the highway to Milton where we visited a fishing buddy who helped us with airbrush painting (airbrushing is sick ) Then we went to Essex to have dinner with another fishing friend... Afterward, already 8 PM, we headed back to Sunny Hollow Park to try to find a motel/hotel to spend the night... Due to the leaf fall tourists, every single placed were full... so we had to sleep in the car, right at the trail head... Then the next morning (sunday), one of our friend from Montreal drove down to Winooski and he went fishing with my dad, while me and my brother went for a full day of trail riding

We first did the easy sections, then mediums and find ourself in the expert ones a bit... At first, my brother (Martin) was a bit afraid of the bridges and the skinny, but he did great on all of them. We rode for about 2 hours, from 9 to 11, then got back to the car and took a lunch. Then two more hours and another break. Unfortunately, my iPhone has no service in the US, so even with the 3G turn off, the battery was going down with the GPS running, so we didn't tracked our last 1h of ride, but it was about 9km, only on the easy green sections.

We did about 30km and more then 5 hours of riding. The day was beautiful, warm, no wind, a bit chilly in the morning (normal) and people there were very nice. I had myself going down 2 times, one when going up a super steep climb, and lost momentum, then I grab the brakes, the bike just start to flip over and we both felt back... Martin was laughing at me and I had my saddle kicking up my crotch a bit... Not the smartest move Then the second time was after another steep climb, with thigh corners and lot of roots, since Martin was behind me, I had to always keep audio contact with him to make sure he was okay, and I did not focus enough on the climb and slip my front wheel from the roots I put it on, then my rear tire lost traction and I did a nice face plant right in front of him... Like a noob But no damage and no hurts and I was back on track

Here's the tracking : Maps

It only shows the stats for the first ride, but the whole tracks for the day.

So we had a great time and really enjoyed the place. We did find a motel for the night and monday, me and my dad went fishing at Apple's Island and caught 1 salmon and about 30 perch. Martin has stayed in the car to study for his exams...

And we got back home around 8 PM on monday, after being stuck at the border for another hour or so... I love Nexus pass, but when they close the Nexus line at the custom, it's kinda silly...

So thanks everyones for the info, Murph for the directions and it was a great pleasure riding your trails this weekend

David