the train keeps rollin

Trail Loss at Bear Brook, please read, and take action.

Hi All,

Park Manager at Bear Brook has decided to close two singletracks, after they logged the area, they feel they're redundant, this code name for lazy state officials wanting to shut down as much trail as possible, so they can log the PARK in peace. Don't stand for this crap! Write Patrick below, write your state reps, state secretary, you name it. Do something about.

"Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to let you know that the trail day for this Saturday at Bear Brook State Park has been cancelled. I met with park/DRED officialls yesterday and they have decided not to re-open (after the logging operation) the single track trails that ran parallel to One Mile Road. The trails were Bear Brook Lower and Bear Brook Extension (see attached map). The park manager feels that the trails are redundant and park users can use the One Mile Road. Both of these trails have been in place prior to the construction of One Mile Road. Please send an e-mail to Patrick Hummel, State Parks volunteer coordinator, and let him know that these trails need to be re-opened because it's the single track trails that bring you to the park to ride. Kathy"

Patrick Hummel patrick.hummel@dred.nh.gov
    beaver hunt

banned
    Sep 2008
    ugh. will send email(s)

rog

mtbr member
    Please read up on the Division of Forest and Lands. While it does suck to lose trails, you need to also realize the State owned lands serve multiple purposes. Mtn biking is a privilege and not a right on these lands........as much as we wish it was the other way around.

mtbr member
    I agree with offrhodes that everyone needs to remember that as much as we might hate it we always have to play by our various land manager's / owner's rules. It always is and always will be that way.

The thing that frustrates me with decisions like this is the reasoning and motivation behind the decision. I suppose on one hand redundant trails does seem a bit silly but that would be more if your only concern with said trails was to get from point A to point B as efficiently as possible. One Mile Road is perfect for point A to point B and would be the obvious choice. But point A to point B is not always the only concern for users looking for recreation in a State Park.

I'm looking for interesting trails that take in the topography and challenge me physically. One Mile Road does not do that which means I am somewhat less likely to choose Bear Brook as a recreation destination.

What do they gain by closing these trails? NEMBA builds and maintains them so not much savings on the labor/manpower side. Seems to me they don't gain anything, they only lose members of a user group that has dedicated thousands of hours of volunteer labor to the park.

IMO using the trail redundancy argument is a bit of a cop-out when recreational trails are being considered. As much as I would hate to see this happen; If they don't want mountain biking at Bear Brook they should just ban it and be done with it so NEMBA can dedicate its resources elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Was there an open public forum on the topic? Maybe you can request one.

mtbr member
    The management of the park really doesn't care about the overall aesthetic of the park. For years they have scarred the forests there, usually close to the road for easy access. It's a pity and a shame that they don't seem to get it. There are people, most of you who have done considerable work year in and out to improve and clean that place up in the spring. You should be commended for your work and contribution.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Please read up on the Division of Forest and Lands. While it does suck to lose trails, you need to also realize the State owned lands serve multiple purposes. Mtn biking is a privilege and not a right on these lands........as much as we wish it was the other way around.
    Maybe you should read up on the situation before responding. They closed a trail that has been on the park map since 1991. There's no reason to close the trails, they can sign them closed when logging. There's volunteers ready to clean up the trails. The state does very little trail upkeep in the park, it's all NEMBA and other trail users. Close the Park, run it as a logging operation, if money is all that matters.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    For some reason you seem to reply with anger on the posts I mention that the state parks are a bonus for us not a requirement. Relax.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    For some reason you seem to reply with anger on the posts I mention that the state parks are a bonus for us not a requirement. Relax.
    Maybe instead of siding with DRED, you could be more passionate about the sport, and protecting the trails.

BTW, Nemba met with DRED officials, saved one of the trails. Sometimes instead of rolling over, and saying oh well, its good to take a stance.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Agree with that^^^

the train keeps rollin
    BTW, you might think it's a bonus, but Bear Brook was founded as a Recreational Demonstration Area. Per the states website, recreation is a big part of the state park charter, timber harvest should be balanced in with it, not take front seat, causing excessive trail closures on a repeat basis.

State Parks and Forests

State Parks are properties with developed or otherwise specific recreation uses available for visitors. Most offer many activities such as swimming, hiking, camping, picnicking, and hunting but not necessarily to the exclusion of other uses such as timber management, water resource protection and wildlife habitat management.

State Forests are properties associated with undeveloped forest land managed for many uses including demonstrations of sound forestry practices, public access for forest-based recreation, protection of threatened and endangered species, preservation of historic resources and rural culture, and conservation of biological diversity.

State parks and forests are open for public use and managed for a multiplicity of uses. Some state parks contain forestland managed for timber, all state forests are open for recreational activities and, some state parks and forests have natural preserves and sites of geologic and historic interest. Bear Brook State Park, for example, in the towns of Allenstown, Deerfield, Candia and, Hooksett offers developed and undeveloped recreation (e.g. woods roads and skid trails for hiking), wildlife and natural preserves, and timber management areas.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    I'm going to partially hijack this thread for a second to give you guys a break from sword fighting with your internet egos. On a slightly related topic, can anyone tell me what trail this is at bear brook? I'd love to hit it next time I go there.

Bear Brook State Park Mountain Biking GoPro HD - YouTube

the train keeps rollin
    It's closed, Old Little Bear.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Well that's ironic. Thanks

mtbr member
    I never sided with DRED. I also said it sucks to lose trails. So again, relax. And before you state I just roll over maybe you should actually find out what I do and do not do for the sport.

the train keeps rollin
    Sorry dude, Bear Brook is dear to my heart. I've watched the logging trash trails, and lose trails. I'm pissed off, and not going to take it. I don't feel mtn biking is a privilege. I feel like Bear Brook is a place for recreation, take in the mountains, fresh air, nature. A place not just for cyclists , but hikers, equine, fishermen, field trips, campers. I understand there's valuable timber there, and the state needs to pay their bills. When DRED closes beautiful singletrack, stating it's Redundant for no good reason, we need to challenge them, try to save our resources. I hope your with me on that. Sorry if I've been a dick about it.
    beaver hunt

banned
    Sep 2008
    if anyone's interested in riding bear brook from 9-1130/noon today, a coupla of us will be doing a nice 20-25 mile loop from south road.

1st bear brook ride of the season for me.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    bear brook rode so good this morning. took my 33lb lovely beast of a fatbike for a 23.5 mile loop riding all the goods and then some. fatbikes make things sooo much funner and easier.

logging area only seemed to take a lil bit of the one track along one mile road. expected much worse.

rog