mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Tire choice for southern New Hampshire (29er)

I'm currently riding a medium-framed hardtail 29er and using Geax AKA tires and find them to be innappropriate for the terrain I'm riding. I ride around the Keene, NH area (Drummer hill, Stonewall farm, Yale forest, etc, still exploring...), the terrain tends to be moist, rocky, rooty - not finding much traction with the AKA that came with my bike.

Any recomendations for me?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    first run tubeless...... if your not running tubeless your getting less out of your tires.

The Highest end Maxxis Ikon do surprising well on the terrain you describe(I used them at the stonewall farm race last year), but the High Roller 2 is even better.

other options IMO include the WTB bronson, Conti Mountain King II, Conti Trail King, and Geax Gato.

mtbr member

Tire choice for southern New Hampshire (29er)

I've not been impressed with the Contis lately. Had to send a whole back batch as they came from a bad mold and had a wicked wobble wobble. I'm a huge fan of the Ardent.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    29er tubeless...
    Ardent 2.4 in front. Like fast roller in back...Really like cross mark 2.1 or igniter 2.1 in back. Exeter is my local ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    so, tubeless is that big of a deal huh? I'll look into the process of making a tire tubeless, here is a picture of my frame so you know what I'm trying to fit these tires into. I suppose it's just the back that I'm concerned with but I suppose having a 2.2 in both means I should be able to at least fit that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    heh ya tubeless blah blah. I've run both tubed and tubeless, but have been happy with tubes for decades. maxxis ikon 29 with tubes at 22-24 psi. no issues and work well in all conditions as all tires made of rubber do. don't blame tires, look at you technique.

rog

mtbr member
    Nah, tires make a difference. I love tubeless, but tubes work fine. I have the 2.1 ardent in front, and 2.1 igniter in back and agree that it's a great setup. The ardent has a little dead spot as you get into a turn, but lean a little more and it locks up. I hear the 2.4 doesn't have the dead spot.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    even at the same PSI tubeless will preform better than tubes.....and give you less flats. Also with 2.3/2.4 on I can easily run 16-18 psi on slower speed rooty/rocky stuff and literally ride on my rims with out flatting. try that with a tube in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    [QUOTE=Schott;10708758]I've not been impressed with the Contis lately. Had to send a whole back batch as they came from a bad mold and had a wicked wobble wobble. I'm a huge fan of the Ardent.

Ditto. I've always run contis in the past. Not too impressed lately with both quality and design offerings. Picked up some Schwalbe Hans Dampfs a while back and really like them. Set up tubeless and they just blow away the Conti XKings they replaced. I ride the typical SNH stuff too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Pug View Post

Ditto. I've always run contis in the past. Not too impressed lately with both quality and design offerings. Picked up some Schwalbe Hans Dampfs a while back and really like them. Set up tubeless and they just blow away the Conti XKings they replaced. I ride the typical SNH stuff too.
    I'll check those out, where in SNH do you typically ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    heh ya tubeless blah blah. I've run both tubed and tubeless, but have been happy with tubes for decades. maxxis ikon 29 with tubes at 22-24 psi. no issues and work well in all conditions as all tires made of rubber do. don't blame tires, look at you technique.

rog
    Gotta say tubeless is a noticeable improvement over tubes in traction, rolling resistance, and cushion for me. I honestly never cared about tires when I rode a 26er, but since going 29, I have developed strong opinions on tire performance since day one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    even at the same PSI tubeless will preform better than tubes.....and give you less flats. Also with 2.3/2.4 on I can easily run 16-18 psi on slower speed rooty/rocky stuff and literally ride on my rims with out flatting. try that with a tube in there.
    I would NEVER need to run that low pressure. rocky rooty? fully rigid with knee and elbow suspension technology. best technology out there for suspension and traction. still.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geohound View Post
    I'll check those out, where in SNH do you typically ride?
    The Monadnock Region. Peterborough, Greenfield, Crotched Mtn area.
    The tires i have are the dual compound; high duro in the middle for wear, softer sides for hooking up in the corners. The beefy sidewall and big volume casing allow for much lower PSI which is a big plus on a hardtail around here. I've got them on an El Mariachi with 100mm fork and the rear will just barely rub the back of my ft derailleur in granny and only if I have them aired up around 35PSI (like never). They do clear my fork and frame just fine. I haven't tried them yet, but the Conti Mountain King II 2.4 tubeless ready looks like it could be a winner as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Pug View Post
    The Monadnock Region. Peterborough, Greenfield, Crotched Mtn area.
    The tires i have are the dual compound; high duro in the middle for wear, softer sides for hooking up in the corners. The beefy sidewall and big volume casing allow for much lower PSI which is a big plus on a hardtail around here. I've got them on an El Mariachi with 100mm fork and the rear will just barely rub the back of my ft derailleur in granny and only if I have them aired up around 35PSI (like never). They do clear my fork and frame just fine. I haven't tried them yet, but the Conti Mountain King II 2.4 tubeless ready looks like it could be a winner as well.
    Same area I'm in. I'm 20 minutes north in Langdon, but typically head to Keene to do some riding.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Geohound View Post
    I'm currently riding a medium-framed hardtail 29er and using Geax AKA tires and find them to be innappropriate for the terrain I'm riding. I ride around the Keene, NH area (Drummer hill, Stonewall farm, Yale forest, etc, still exploring...), the terrain tends to be moist, rocky, rooty - not finding much traction with the AKA that came with my bike.

Any recomendations for me?

I ride very similar trails in upstate NY and am a timid beginner to MTB but like to take my road bike over light mtb trails so I'm some-what used to traction limitations.

Until you get some new tires, what pressures are you running your AKA's at? I had serious traction problems when I first got my bike (came with AKAs,) but started experimenting with traction and found that my best traction comes below 35psi. I am currently running tubed 32 front/35 rear at a rider weight of 245 geared and no issues, good traction. I ran them at 28/28 for a little while and never had issues on the trail with flats but did flat goofing around in town so figured if it can happen there it can happen on trail.

It isn't ideal for roots or rocks (unless they're dry, then they do stick really well) but they will suffice at low pressures until you can find a combo you like. I'll be going Ardent 2.4/Ignitor 2.1 once I wear the AKA's out but until then I can manage.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    rog there is no one winning WC XC race on tubes any more, nor your average cat 1 races.

Your elbows and knees will not out do large tubeless tires or suspension. No way no how..... if you like riding rigid cool but it is not faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ride Bontrager 29-3 (I think they've been renamed to XR-3). The other guys I ride with at the shop ride the same thing or 29-4/XR4. They are the same tread pattern but the 4s have a higher profile for better grip. The 3s are better for racing because they still grip really well but have lower rolling resistance.