Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    347

    A thought on Killington vs. other VT lift access mt. biking

    Ok - so I've now hit almost (i think) all lift access places in VT (Killington, Mt. Snow, Sugarbush, etc) and I think i can safely say that Killington offers the only "true" all mountain experience. You've got great downhills, BUT you also have nice switchbacks where you can/need to climb....the other lift access areas only seem to have one speed - bomb down, and fast.

    I like my downhills, but I also love to work and feel a burn. Killington is the only place where I feel i have the perfect bike for the situation - my Spesh Enduro with FOX 36 Talas on the front. Burly enough, but not a huge need there for a full downhill sled (in fact those can hurt you on those switchbacks).

    Would others agree with this? just more vast and varied terrain....any other lift access places that you would argue rival Killington from this perspective?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    Ok - so I've now hit almost (i think) all lift access places in VT (Killington, Mt. Snow, Sugarbush, etc) and I think i can safely say that Killington offers the only "true" all mountain experience. You've got great downhills, BUT you also have nice switchbacks where you can/need to climb....the other lift access areas only seem to have one speed - bomb down, and fast.

    I like my downhills, but I also love to work and feel a burn. Killington is the only place where I feel i have the perfect bike for the situation - my Spesh Enduro with FOX 36 Talas on the front. Burly enough, but not a huge need there for a full downhill sled (in fact those can hurt you on those switchbacks).

    Would others agree with this? just more vast and varied terrain....any other lift access places that you would argue rival Killington from this perspective?

    thanks!
    your forgot Kingdom/Burke which does rival in what your talking about.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    77
    Ideally, I think a mountain should have a variety of offerings that appeal to riders. not every trail should be buffed out for rocket descents. I think capturing the All Mountain type experience is a good balance between full on DH and gut busting XC. At least that's my vision for the mountain that I'm building at in Maine.


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by rockville View Post
    Ideally, I think a mountain should have a variety of offerings that appeal to riders. not every trail should be buffed out for rocket descents. I think capturing the All Mountain type experience is a good balance between full on DH and gut busting XC. At least that's my vision for the mountain that I'm building at in Maine.


    YES...totally agree. Wow, best of luck in your effort! Where will it be?

  5. #5
    slap happy
    Reputation: istandalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    418
    that's great....it's also exactly what i was thinking about mt snow....limited variety of terrain.

    killington opens tomorrow (july 2nd) and now i've got to decide if i want to drive the extra 40 minutes to get there...or just go to mount snow.
    in lieu of making another thread i might as well as here.....is anyone going to either killington or mt snow this saturday?
    i'd love to meet and ride with some new people.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,694
    Glad I found this thread. I'm heading to Killington this weekend to ride and was curious about the trails. How much pedaling is involved? Should I gear up for pedaling or wear my full face and pads? Thanks!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    948
    ^^ Full face and pads for sure. There are a few trails where a bit of pedaling happens but for the most part it's about going down - FAST. Second best wreck I've had in the last three years was at K. If I wasn't wearing armor with a spine protector I would probably be in a wheelchair, hit the ground hard enough on my back that the bladder in my pack exploded!

    If you're going with people that aren't DH freaks I agree that K is great. When I go with my family the wife and kids can take whatever beginner/intermediate route they want and I can usually get two runs to their one if I'm on my game. Agreed too that an Enduro (or any decent 6" bike is plenty sufficient) for most of the trails there.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    347
    wish I'd seen this, would have pinged you. Did you go?...i headed up Sat with my wife (she didn't ride), and I just had such a blast. I mean, a great time. trail 7 to 11 all the way, so great....my other favorite - trail 2, to 18 (new berms on both!), to trail 4, to 6, to 9. Ahhh, perfection.

    Long, long runs like that at Killington just kick ass...Yes, lots downhill, but again, definitely some pedaling! My Enduro gets pushed for sure, but i still think it's perfect for this area (as would a full downhill sled, its just that it's not ONLY about steep downhill)....

    FUN ass day.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    That sounds awesome. That is what i expect out of Highland in NH. Hope i'm right.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    347
    by the way, i agree full face and shin/knee pads are DEF a good thing (needed thing) for here, but you're fine with just that if need be....I wear a full face Giro, Troy Lee knee/shin combo, and short/minimal ProTec elbow pads, and that's it...of course if you have/own full armor and all that, hell yeah go for that, but if you don't own it, or it's too hot or whatever, then i think what i run works pretty well.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
    that's great....it's also exactly what i was thinking about mt snow....limited variety of terrain.

    killington opens tomorrow (july 2nd) and now i've got to decide if i want to drive the extra 40 minutes to get there...or just go to mount snow.
    in lieu of making another thread i might as well as here.....is anyone going to either killington or mt snow this saturday?
    i'd love to meet and ride with some new people.
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    That sounds awesome. That is what i expect out of Highland in NH. Hope i'm right.

    Yeah, Highland is pretty fun, but you don't get 20/25 minute runs ...less switchbacks, etc etc...less terrain.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: Uncle Jemima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    512
    Where is this in Maine? Northern I assume right?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockville
    Ideally, I think a mountain should have a variety of offerings that appeal to riders. not every trail should be buffed out for rocket descents. I think capturing the All Mountain type experience is a good balance between full on DH and gut busting XC. At least that's my vision for the mountain that I'm building at in Maine.



  13. #13
    Ducks for Moose
    Reputation: from_the_nek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    YES...totally agree. Wow, best of luck in your effort! Where will it be?
    No wonder I didn't recognize that. It's Camden Snowbowl (yes in ME) with the Elevation Exageration turned up to 2 in Google Earth. Still looks like a fun plan if it all works out.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VT_SNGLTRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    Yeah, Highland is pretty fun, but you don't get 20/25 minute runs ...less switchbacks, etc etc...less terrain.
    Highlands has more technical features (built and/or natural) in one run, than Killington has on the entire hill. Not speaking badly of Killington, but Highland's short runs pack more punch with more high consequence features. They're different styles of riding. Many of Killington's connector trails make for long runs, but they're not that exciting.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,694
    I'm still deciding between Killington and Pine Hill Park to ride this weekend. Kinda leaning towards K-ton.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    948
    There's a race at PHP on Sunday so you may be limited to what you can ride.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tpc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    221
    We are going up to Killington for the first time this year on Sunday. Can not wait to try out my new Scratch, Hopefuly the weather is good. It is a lot of fun up there.

  18. #18
    slap happy
    Reputation: istandalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    418
    me and two friends are going to Killington on saturday. can't wait, first time going there.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,819
    Although I haven't been there in the past couple of years, be sure to hit Trail 18 and Trail 30. Some of my favorites!

  20. #20
    slap happy
    Reputation: istandalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    418
    18 and 30....got it.
    is there a good variety of drops? most mtns i've been to only have 6' or larger...i'd like to get my feet wet with some decent 3 or maybe 4' drops before i go bigger. air scares me atm.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_SNGLTRK View Post
    Highlands has more technical features (built and/or natural) in one run, than Killington has on the entire hill. Not speaking badly of Killington, but Highland's short runs pack more punch with more high consequence features. They're different styles of riding. Many of Killington's connector trails make for long runs, but they're not that exciting.

    I would agree with that re technicality of Highland. It's great... sometimes i get over my head a bit there. I disagree about longer Killington runs being less exciting, but i guess it's all a matter of taste and what you like.

    I'm not a particularly huge downhill/tech rider...i like it some, but i like more all-mountain.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
    18 and 30....got it.
    is there a good variety of drops? most mtns i've been to only have 6' or larger...i'd like to get my feet wet with some decent 3 or maybe 4' drops before i go bigger. air scares me atm.
    From what I remember, you should be fine.

    Trail 18 ("Cable Trail") was like a rollercoaster thru the woods. I could ride it all day!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tpc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    221
    Trail 18 is a blast, we had a couple runs figured out last year that were fun, but i can not remember the numbers, this old age stuff sucks. But either way there is a ton of variety up there. Have fun on saturday.

Similar Threads

  1. Bike Resorts - Lift and Non-Lift Access - What and Where
    By atomicAdam in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 04:54 PM
  2. Mtn Biking Areas - Lift access recommendations???
    By Huck Your Meat in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 11:28 AM
  3. Free Killington VT. Lift Tickets Contest NO STRINGS!!!
    By jschoef in forum Connecticut, Rhode Island
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
  4. Free Killington VT. Lift Tickets Contest NO STRINGS!!!
    By jschoef in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 08:05 PM
  5. Free Killington VT. Lift Tickets Contest NO STRINGS!!!
    By jschoef in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •