Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Favorites

mtbr member

Ten Favorites

Here's a list of my ten favorite trails in New England. Let the flamewar commence.

Nor'Easter Backcountry: Ten Favorites: The Pantheon of New England Mountain Biking Trails

Tool
    I discovered Troll Stroll two weekends ago. I agree it belongs on the list. It reminded me a lot of the trails at Stowe.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

JDM
    mtbr member
    I would like to submit Grenville's Eastside at the Pinnacle in Newport, NH for your consideration.

mtbr member
    The Pinnacle wasn't even on my radar JDM. I've added it to my hit list.

I've got some friends in Lebanon/Rio Blanco area. Maybe I can combine it with a trip to Ascutney with them. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Drummer Hill in Keene, NH

Greenfield Trails Association in Greenfield, NH, over 40 miles of single track, and more in the works.

If you want to ride either contact me at: 603-209-7273 or lwebber60@yahoo.com
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

think
    Jul 2008
    I respectfully disagree with this list. Or maybe I should say, that's not MY list. I'm not going to tell you what your ten favorite trails are, but I can tell you that about 8 or 9 of those wouldn't have made my list.

mtbr member
    Thanks Larry, as I mentioned on my blog, I'll be taking you up on that invite, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Bad, I'm not surprised. These are so subjective. Not only does it depend on preferences but also to some extent skill. I'm sure someone would tell me that the Minuteman is their favorite biking trail-- even having tried some of the other stuff- because they don't know yet how to handle the technical stuff. This is precisely the reason none of the stuff from Lynn is on my list-- I'm working so damn hard there that it's hard to get the flow going. Someone with more skill wouldn't have to work as hard. What are some that would be on your list?

I'd Huck That....
    Just my 2¢
    Lynn woods
    Bear Brook
    Fort Rock
    Lowell Dracut Tyngsboro State forest
    Yudicky
    Fomba

mtbr member

Joe's

A list without Joe's at Waterbury, is like a day without sunshine...

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this list. Or maybe I should say, that's not MY list. I'm not going to tell you what your ten favorite trails are, but I can tell you that about 8 or 9 of those wouldn't have made my list.
    I agree with you bad news, some of those trails are maybe a half mile long. Good quality but I would pick trails that take more than 2 minutes to ride.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Thanks for everyone's favs so far, good stuff.

Here are some of my favorites, not in any order. Way more than 10 I guess.

Hemlocks, Bear Brook, Carr Ridge, Bear Brook State Park, Allenstown, NH
    Tap N Die, Ridge-Rim combo, Troll Stroll, J-Bar, Moose Alley, KT, Burke, VT
    Jester, Burke Bike Park, Burke, VT
    Burning Spear, Joe's, Rasta, Yellow Trail, Perry Hill, Waterbury, VT
    Happy Hour, Highland, Northfield, NH
    Brackett Pond Loops, No Red Tape trails, Harold Parker, Andover, MA
    Crater Trail, Moose Tack, Sunday River, Newry, ME
    Cellar Hole, Lost Wall, Stump, Franklin Falls, Franklin, NH
    Harrington Heights/Ridge, Roller Coaster, Fellowship Ring, Millstone, Websterville, VT
    Droopy Muffin to Svelte Tiger, Pine Hill Park, Rutland, VT
    Nemba Trail, Lowell-Dracut State Forest, Lowell, MA

mtbr member
    Great list Severum.

I was actually at FOMBA & Bear Brook yesterday and hit some stuff at BB (including Carr Ridge) that I hadn't been on before. There is some excellent singletrack up there.

I think you're the second person I've heard mention Lowell/Dracut, which is fairly close to me (Arlington, MA) and I haven't explored. I might have to make a trip up there very soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I agree with you bad news, some of those trails are maybe a half mile long. Good quality but I would pick trails that take more than 2 minutes to ride.
    I see that you're up in the White Mtns. Where do you Northern NH guys go for trails? What would be your favorites up in your neck of the woods?

And Severum, I was able to get up to Lowell/Dracut this afternoon. I think my list has its first edit.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    The Pinnacle wasn't even on my radar JDM. I've added it to my hit list.

I've got some friends in Lebanon/Rio Blanco area. Maybe I can combine it with a trip to Ascutney with them. Thanks!
    Hit Pinnacle, Ascutney, Cornish town forest and Boston Lot while you're in the area. They are all great fun.

Use this map for directions: ****************trailheads. Boston Lot isn't on there. Just park at DHMC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Love seeing Ginn from my home trail system on there at Bradbury but I need to say that I really like The "O" trail there better....it is a bit short but much more challenging.

West Hartford Reservoir is a great trail (was 10 years ago when I moved at least).

Barkhampstead State Forest CT is(was) great too.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    O trail = 2.4 miles

Black Lion
    favorites in no order

Troll Stroll, Upper J-Bar to J-bar combo, River Run, Rim to Ridge, BeatBog, Herbs Kingdom Trails
    Casscade, Hemlocks, Little Bear, Carr Ridge, Bear Brook State Forrest
    G Spot School Street
    No Red Tape Trails, Gun Club Trails, Black Ops, White Rabbit, Upper Terry Trail Harold Parker State Forrest
    Sweed Trail, Chicken Soup, Espresso Trail, El Sweeney Trail, Beaver Trail, Lynn Woods
    Green Wood, Red Dot Trail Beverly
    Greg's Trail, Sanbourn Trail, Judy Family Trail Ward Reservation

so many others....
    Last edited by yogreg; 09-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    is upper jbar start at the summit of burke mt? I'm heading up there on friday, an was looking for suggestions of trails to ride. Friday I'll probably just be doing mostly burke mt shuttle runs, an then doing a combo ride on saturday. I've ridden most of darling hill but haven't ridden anything on burke mt yet.
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    is upper jbar start at the summit of burke mt? I'm heading up there on friday, an was looking for suggestions of trails to ride. Friday I'll probably just be doing mostly burke mt shuttle runs, an then doing a combo ride on saturday. I've ridden most of darling hill but haven't ridden anything on burke mt yet.
    correct, Upper J-Bar is off the Mountain summit and dumps right into "original" J-Bar. Money Trail.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    yogreg, glad to see G spot on the list, are the ward reservation trails changed i havent been there in years
    as always let me know if u want to check out hampstead

severum, a while back u mentioned intrest in trail work.we are at it on the weekends, typically ride for an hour or 2 then work. this weekend i think we r making log rides
    our wed night rides have been 15-20 deep, can get annoying for the faster riders, but with night coming things should mellow out. we will keep it going till it snows

cant think of many u guys missed as far as favorites
    Z screamin demon at millstone
    demoralizer at exeter
    dead moose/ dead moose abuse at kingdom
    north and south mt at pawtukaway

mtbr member
    I gotta try those hampstead trails.... do you guys ride early on weds? or any other day? I can be riding by 4
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    If there are no Bachelor St trails on the list i have to assume you haven't been there. Millstone has some great trails as well. Technical AND flowy is where it is at. I look for that, but don't find that often.

I haven't ridden everything in B street but Missing Person, Far Out, and Rollercoaster were sick trails.

Also, CT has a lot of high tech trails.

mtbr member
    manch, tue and fri i could take u out that early..or weekend

the train keeps rollin
    I would say the Hemlocks at BB are nice if you combine all 3 of of them into a out n back loop, 1-2-3 3-2. Then it's a good 3-4 miles of singletrack.

I would say there's too much KT on the list. KT is one of the best places to ride, but the trails are all fairly short individually. Give me a trail that keeps flowing for many many miles without constant intersections to connect. My favorite run is connecting the Moose Alley trails when they're dry, little bit of everything.
    beaver hunt

I'd Huck That....

demoralizer at exeter

Whats up where is the demoralizer trail in Exeter. Is ithis part of Fort Rock trails

Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    yogreg, glad to see G spot on the list, are the ward reservation trails changed i havent been there in years
    as always let me know if u want to check out hampstead

severum, a while back u mentioned intrest in trail work.we are at it on the weekends, typically ride for an hour or 2 then work. this weekend i think we r making log rides
    our wed night rides have been 15-20 deep, can get annoying for the faster riders, but with night coming things should mellow out. we will keep it going till it snows

cant think of many u guys missed as far as favorites
    Z screamin demon at millstone
    demoralizer at exeter
    dead moose/ dead moose abuse at kingdom
    north and south mt at pawtukaway

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    Whats up where is the demoralizer trail in Exeter. Is ithis part of Fort Rock trails
    Yes, just stay left after going north thru the tunnel.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    no love for Marshabesic ?( not to be confused with massabeesic)
    little bear, washed out but still a good ending
    horse hill in merrimack, not hard but a very pleasant after work ride
    yellow loop at HP
    red tail
    sticks and stones
    Otis afb in March ( no snow)

hell, they're all good. why not make it easy
    what are the worst trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    no love for Marshabesic ?( not to be confused with massabeesic)
    little bear, washed out but still a good ending
    horse hill in merrimack, not hard but a very pleasant after work ride
    yellow loop at HP
    red tail
    sticks and stones
    Otis afb in March ( no snow)

hell, they're all good. why not make it easy
    what are the worst trails
    Phase 1 including the "traffic circle" would be on my list.

mtbr member
    I finally rode Sticks and Stones a few weeks back. From the amount of talk that trail gets i expected a lot more.

the train keeps rollin
    What where you expecting?
    beaver hunt

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    I finally rode Sticks and Stones a few weeks back. From the amount of talk that trail gets i expected a lot more.
    First time that I rode it I thought the same thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    What where you expecting?
    Sticks and stones.

I was going in with the impression that it was a moderately technical trail. I would consider it a beginner trail with intermediate side features.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Sticks and stones.

I was going in with the impression that it was a moderately technical trail. I would consider it a beginner trail with intermediate side features.
    just a fun little loop with a few goodies thrown in, I would say the goodies are fairly technical
    its a nice ending to red tail / side hill / pilllar trails

beer thief
    As Dan says, S&S is a nice cool down (or warm-up) for other trails in the area. If you can do all the stunts in both directions you're a bit better than intermediate. IMO it's too short to be on a top 10 list.

It was designed for kids of all ages. I've never seen anyone come out of that trail without a smile on their face.

mtbr member
    There was one rock feature in S&S i wouldn't do in either direction. It was decidedly more difficult than the others.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    As Dan says, S&S is a nice cool down (or warm-up) for other trails in the area. If you can do all the stunts in both directions you're a bit better than intermediate. IMO it's too short to be on a top 10 list.

It was designed for kids of all ages. I've never seen anyone come out of that trail without a smile on their face.

plus the list is 10 favorites, not 10 best or hardest

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I like sticks n' stones but I don't think I should have put it on my best list. It's fun to do casual laps around but it can't compare to the other trails. I had it as number 5 on my list I think. Now I change that to Fire Line at FOMBA.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Any maps of the GTA stuff? I've raced the NH 100 before, but is there some place to get a map with some detail?
    Clough S.P. used to be THE place to ride in southern NH until the dirt bikes and 4 wheelers killed it.

beer thief
    There was one rock feature in S&S i wouldn't do in either direction. It was decidedly more difficult than the others.
    That would likely be the Crippler. When I tried to break its cherry, I high-sided off it and was stabbed in the back with my handlebar. I could barely put my bike on the car on the way out of there.

There are a few other rock stunts that are fairly straightforward in one direction but quite challenging the opposite way.

Photos of the Parker twins shot by each other. Check the chain slack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ten Favorites-jesse-parker-crippler.jpg  

Ten Favorites-john-parker-crippler.jpg  

beer thief
    I'm a little surprised the STAB trails are not on anyone's list, although JDM did mention Ascutney in a post above. I did a ride this summer that went up Ridgeback and down South Ridge Run (then back up it when we realized we f'ed up). This is probably backwards from optimum direction but those two trails are really well designed with lots of rock features and nice flow.

Some of the trails in the Franconia, NH area are also top notch. Love Shack from Cloud 9(?) is a super nice trail. You probably need a local guide but you're likely to find one at Big Ring Bob's shop at the Franconia Inn.

The Fellowship of the Wheel has built some really nice stuff and Hinesburg Town Forest should be on this sort of list.

the train keeps rollin
    Whatever happened to Saxon Hill?
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Whatever happened to Saxon Hill?
    Unfortunately, part of it (lower sections - Om, MoFlo, Paper Route, etc) were shut down by the landowner last Spring or Summer (2010). The upper sections remain (Flo, Freefall, etc.). I miss the flow of those trails!

weekend warrior
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    favorites in no order

Troll Stroll, Upper J-Bar to J-bar combo, River Run, Rim to Ridge, BeatBog, Herbs Kingdom Trails
    Casscade, Hemlocks, Little Bear, Carr Ridge, Bear Brook State Forrest
    G Spot School Street
    No Red Tape Trails, Gun Club Trails, Black Ops, White Rabbit, Upper Terry Trail Harold Parker State Forrest
    Sweed Trail, Chicken Soup, Espresso Trail, El Sweeney Trail, Beaver Trail, Lynn Woods
    Green Wood, Red Dot Trail Beverly
    Greg's Trail, Sanbourn Trail, Judy Family Trail Ward Reservation

so many others....
    yogreg, where do you get the names for the trails at HP? Did you just make them up or is there a list somewhere?

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCoiler View Post
    yogreg, where do you get the names for the trails at HP? Did you just make them up or is there a list somewhere?
    those are the names direct from the builders.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    That would likely be the Crippler. When I tried to break its cherry, I high-sided off it and was stabbed in the back with my handlebar. I could barely put my bike on the car on the way out of there.

There are a few other rock stunts that are fairly straightforward in one direction but quite challenging the opposite way.

Photos of the Parker twins shot by each other. Check the chain slack.
    That's the one. I would go up it before going down it. That lip that the second riders front wheel is on in that photo is in a very awkward place going down (and up to by the looks of it). Wouldn't like to endo from that point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have to agree, Hinesburg/Huntington area trails are GREAT! Thanks to Fellowship of the wheel in Chittenden county. Three connected riding areas, Carse Hills, Hinesburg Town Forest, and Sleepy Hollow - miles and miles of trails of varying difficulty. I am biased as these are at my back door, but I have ridden Kingdom as well. Kingdom is definitely great fun, but HTF, Carse and Sleep offer more technical riding (IMO) that is challenging and fun. Waterbury has some great trails too.

Current favorite loop at Carse Hills. Start Henry Highlands -> Preacher (best trail of the ride)-> Crucible -> short jaunt on Voodoo Child -> Front Door -> Repent -> Underground Railroad -> back to Henrys Highlands. Can do Pinner on this ride too, but this trail is a bit ... meh.

Favorite HTF loop so far Backdoor (awesome long climb) -> Missing Link -> Passing the Horizon (best trail of the ride, could do Sheep Thrills which is faster but not as technical) -> Maiden -> back down Backdoor (even more fun going down than going up).

Favorite loop at Sleepy is the Jedi loop. Start from the lodge and take main trail to X-Wing->Wookie/Princess Leia->Skywalker (Can add Yoda to extend the ride, great trail)->Lightsaber->Millenium falcon->Tatooine-> Storm Trooper->Tatooine which connects to the trail that brings you back to the parking lot which is twisty with some nice launches for a little air time.

Overall, lots of great riding around this area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's the one. I would go up it before going down it. That lip that the second riders front wheel is on in that photo is in a very awkward place going down (and up to by the looks of it). Wouldn't like to endo from that point.
    Mishaps can happen at Sticks and Stones.....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/29895948?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;a utoplay=1" width="398" height="299" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I caught the top of my shorts on the front of my seat rolling that one year.
    It didnt work too well having all my weight over the front bars on that one.
    Ouch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What about Millstone?

think
    Jul 2008
    After some thought, and in no particular order, a few favorites include:

Fort Rock - Demoralizer
    Fort Rock - Spine to Green Trail to the old semi-illicit rock garden cut through to Dean's Dream
    The Marsh - Phase 1 + traffic circle
    Highland Mountain Bike Park - Maiden Voyage
    Bear Brook - Little Bear

This is a really hard thing to list, but those are consistently a blast. There's a ton of other stuff I'd like to include. I'll think about it some more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast