mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Swiss biker on holiday in New Hampshire, help needed.

I'm a Swiss mountain biker visiting friends in Porstmouth during this next coming May. I'm coming with the family but I will smuggle one bike on the luggage and get some time for myself discovering local trails.
    We will have a rental car and travel through NH and maybe Maine during two weeks.
    I will much appreciate any information about where/how/which are the best places to go or where to find this information. I have a GPS and US cartography into it, maps or where to get them, trailheads,.... anything you might consider useful would be good.
    Aside from a big thank you I can also trade it for the same if ever any of you decides to visit our country.
    Cheers

Go Bruins!
    I can tell you the closest trails to Portsmouth are on Mt. Agamenticus in York, Maine off of Mountain Road, and in Exeter, New Hampshire at Fort Rock Trail system. Both are very technical terrain with lots of rocks and roots. The Exeter trails still have some good flow while York has some nice climbs (for this area) and a more "out in the middle of nowhere" feel to it. Search the web for Exeter town offices. I believe the trail maps are online somewhere and there are map kiosks at the parking areas off the intersections of route 85 and route 101.

My best suggestion to you is to post again when you arrive in NH. I'm sure there will be somebody who would be willing to give you a tour of the trails we have in this area. I live fairly close to Exeter and ride there a couple times a week. I've given quite a few tours over the years, and I wouldn't mind adding any more if schedules match up. Good luck.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Awesome, thanks a lot, one more little question: I was thinking in to take my HT 29er but should I take the FS?

Go Bruins!
    I'm 40 so I would go FS for sure to save my body, but if your young and like to beat yourself up a little, both places can be ridden with a HT 29er. I should mention also that one town over from Exeter in Stratham is the Stratham Hill Park Trails. While only about 8-10 miles total, it is a popular with locals. Although small, a guide is needed here to make the best of it.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Here is a link to trail heads in central NH: bit.ly/trailheads

If you are thinking of coming up this way then PM me. I can give you some more detailed info about these places and group ride schedules for them.

mtbr member
    Lots of places under and hour from Portsmouth. Like JDM feel free to PM me as well. We have a group ride on Wednesday nights about 35-40 minutes from where you will be.
    After the ride we fire up the grill and have a beer... well a few beers

Go Bruins!
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    Lots of places under and hour from Portsmouth. Like JDM feel free to PM me as well. We have a group ride on Wednesday nights about 35-40 minutes from where you will be.
    After the ride we fire up the grill and have a beer... well a few beers
    Kevin, Are your area trails riding yet? I like me some Hampstead trails.

mtbr member
    Yes, a few wet spots but over all good. loneranger may chime in as he has been out there more than me...waiting for my shock to come back from fox. could use a hand or 2 for a new bridge going in next sunday if anyone wants pm me or lone ranger nh

mtbr member
    Wheel power a bike shop in Exeter has Tuesday night group rides out at ft. Rock. Great group of people and have a couple of beers after at the shop. The rides start at 6:15 so in may you still will need lights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor View Post
    I'm a Swiss mountain biker visiting friends in Porstmouth during this next coming May. I'm coming with the family but I will smuggle one bike on the luggage and get some time for myself discovering local trails.
    We will have a rental car and travel through NH and maybe Maine during two weeks.
    I will much appreciate any information about where/how/which are the best places to go or where to find this information. I have a GPS and US cartography into it, maps or where to get them, trailheads,.... anything you might consider useful would be good.
    Aside from a big thank you I can also trade it for the same if ever any of you decides to visit our country.
    Cheers
    I'll be visiting Switzerland in August and would love some tips for riding if your willing to share any. I am located Mid Coast Maine and would gladly show you some amazing terrain in my area but it is about a 3 hr drive North from Portsmouth New Hampshire and may be too far out of the way for you?? Zermatt and Pontresina are where we'll be staying at and I have heard great things about the riding there. However, I will need to rent a bike. Do you recommend any good shops with nice full suspensions?
    Enjoy your time in the states.
    Best,,

think
    Jul 2008
    Bring your full suspension bike.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    Bring your full suspension bike.
    Agree. We got rocks, roots, and bumps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not sure if someone suggested this but Stratham Hill Park has a bunch of trails. It's a little less technical than Ft Rock or Mt Agamenticus but it's fairly expansive and if you like climbs, it's a lot of fun. It's in Stratham, NH. To get there just take 33 East out of Portsmouth and you'll see the huge park sign. I'd ride with you and show you the trails but I'll be out of town for nearly all of May. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

mtbr member

If you get up north, North Conway has lots of excellent riding, as well as Moose Brook State Park in Gorham. IMHO, a hard tail 29 does the trick for anything other than large drops, which we don't do much up here.

mtbr member
    Three ways: 1. solo 2. with another 3. in a group
    In general, trails hereabouts are poorly marked (very few signs) and so I recommend riding with someone local when possible. It also aids the exploitation of trail flow.
    Solo: check here for info on alternatives: NEMBA: New England Mountain Bike Association - New Hampshire Places To Ride or here for Maine: NEMBA: New England Mountain Bike Association - Places To Ride
    With others: post when you arrive on the NEMBA forum or the MTBR forum. Be sure to describe your riding ability so you don't end up in a major mismatch. Or simply contact one or more of us and make a plan we can support in advance.
    You can contact me if you want to ride. I'd even head up to the revered Kingdom Trails with you(in VT), which is sure never to dissapoint. But there is a LOT of riding in between. I used to race as a Cat 1 MTB for 10+ years and just stay fit to ride with the big boys who still race these days. Hampstead, Stratham and Mt Aggie and Fort Rock are quick to access on the coast. Ft Rock is chunky. MT A gets mixed reviews. Bear Brook, FOMBA, Musquash, Concord Quarries/Hospital, Goffstown, Elm Brook, Franklin Falls, Harold Parker, Russell Mill, are all enjoyable rides I know and can guide. PM me if you'd like. A FS is forgiving, but not necessary. You would generally describe our trails as rustic, but there is lots of buff around too. We just haven't been hiking and walking them for 300 years. More like 20-30.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    THANK YOU ALL.
    I have written all down, I'll see how I organize things with the family.
    Looking forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You can PM me, I'll try to give you some tips.

mtbr member

Bring your dust mask, it's dryer than a popcorn fart out there!

mtbr member
    As mentioned above, riding solo can prove to be unrewarding since trails are poorly marked, there are lots of trails, and the best ones can be hard to find. Once you know the dates you can ride and for how long, create a post to see if anyone is available to show you around.

The biggest factor in choosing a place is how long you want to ride, and how far you're willing to drive.

Here's my quick pick for you:
    Less than 1hr drive and good for 2 hours of riding: Ft Rock
    1hr drive and good for a day of riding: Bear Brook State Park
    2hr drive and good for a day of downhill riding: Highland Mountain Bike Park
    3+hr drive and good for a weekend of riding: Kingdom Trails

Ft Rock is very rocky but it's close by and provides technical challenges around every corner. Bear Brook is the premier location for XC mountain biking in Southern New Hampshire. Lots of single track and double track to choose from and plenty of elevation to keep you rolling and pedaling. Highland is a downhill/freeride park with lift access. You can rent bikes there and the trails are well maintained. Kingdom Trails is "THE" place to go in the Northeast United States but it is a longish ride and most people who live in Southern New Hampshire will stay overnight to get two days of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I hear that highland also has a 6 mile XC loop and another 8ish mile loop is being worked on/is ready? Supposedly the XC is free at highland too.

Bradbury is also an option too and is about an hour/hour and a half drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Highland does have a nice XC loop although im not sure if its 6 miles last fall. some good hill climbing. its definitely free.
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY