mtbr member
    Mar 2009

studded tire psi ??

What tire psi works best with studs on ice? (26 inch with tubes)
    soft? or hard? how do you run them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hard(er)

...than when you are trying for float riding softer snow. I'm usually 20-25 psi if I'm riding super hard packed trails with a lot of ice, as opposed to as low as 6-8 psi if traction in loose/soft snow is needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    ...than when you are trying for float riding softer snow. I'm usually 20-25 psi if I'm riding super hard packed trails with a lot of ice, as opposed to as low as 6-8 psi if traction in loose/soft snow is needed.
    ok, wow , I am not even close. I was thinking more around 40psi was hard and a low end around 36.
    are you running tubeless? or am I just way off?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Tubes

On wide (44mm), but not fat bike wide rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nokian Extremes for me, 29r 2.1s or something. For bike path and frozen trails, somewhere 25-30.
    For icy snow trails, dirt, etc. 20-25.

Depends on rider weight too, and shape of tire on the rim.

When I ran the nokian 35s on my cross bike i would be in the 30-40 range for trail / snow / ice and 40ish for pavement / commuting.

the train keeps rollin
    I run mine about the same as I'd run a studless tire, 32psi non tech riding, bleed a few pounds off if the trails are chunky.
    beaver hunt

Got A Lust for Life...
    Same.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am 180 lbs and have my Nokian Extremes 26" (best studded tires - check out my blog below) set at 30 lbs. 40lbs way too hard...nearly rattled my brains out of my skull going down a frozen snowmobile track. I ride mostly packed single track. However, 40lbs was fine on ice/snow packed pavement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Freddie's

I should have mentioned in an earlier post-I'm running Nokian Freddie's Revenz lite (2.3) and mid 20's PSI is good all round for dirt roads, icy trails and hard packed snow machine trials. Again, going way, way lower for fluffy or loose unpacked white stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ok, when for a ride at 30 psi and it was WAY BETTER then at 40

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a pair of 26x2.1 Klodikes and I'm running at around 25 psi. I might buy a pair of Minions and stud them up because these 'Dykes don't grip at a higher psi as well as say 15psi, especially on corners and I've dented my rim a couple times running too low in the snow. The Klondike isn't so good on Ice either because it's not wide enough to go over many chunks smoothly or get over crunchy sections easily. This tire seems pretty hard to control through downhill icy sections, the studs are at such an angle that It's difficult to find the right angle for cornering unless your at super low psi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quick update...I experimented a bit more and dropped down to 25lbs on the Nokian Extremes. Seems just right!