the train keeps rollin

Strava Roll Call

Who here is on Strava? If you are on Strava, has it influenced your riding? I signed up a few weeks ago. I've been in the pain-locker ever since. I get these annoying emails, "Ut Oh" so and so has taken your KOM. Like WTF, now I gotta go represent
    beaver hunt

Got A Lust for Life...
    You know I am on there trying to destroy all the KOMs in my area. Mostly road and mostly really f'n fast. I really like it. On a ride I would normally just cruise along, I find myself buried in a pain cave for a couple portions. It helped this weekend at the Carrabassett Valley Challenge. That is fo sho.
    I am immune to your disdain.

the train keeps rollin
    There's a couple at KOMs I've been defending, they take it, I take it back.. killing myself for a few seconds!
    beaver hunt

Got A Lust for Life...
    It is worth it. It pushes everyone. I'm still not fond of the downhill road KOMs. Not going there with a little guy at home.
    I created some segments locally(a lot actually) that guys are already taking or trying to take. Makes everyone faster. I love it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    what does one need to be part of this strava deal. i-phone/smart phone? gps? bike computer? if any of those are needed, i'm out.

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    You are out. GPS tracks for the win.

banned
    Sep 2008
    heh, ya i'll NEVER buy one of those things. not into gadgets of any kind whatsoever. i tolerate bicycles, barely

did a nice 89 miler with 9k of climbing today. got absolutely HAMMERED by torrential downpours and near zero viz coming into the climb up jefferson notch and then the whole descent was rediculous. like a hurricane. just poured water outta my frame from today. was frozen to the bone with numb hands by the time i hit crawford notch. hat to get a steaming cup o coffee at highland center to warm up. then the sun came out and got hot as ballz for the bear notch climb. so good!

no strava for me tho

rog

mtbr member
    88.8 and 5833ft of climbing on that ride. We tracked you, so no fudging the numbers!
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

Got A Lust for Life...
    How were you measuring the aggregate elevation gain? 4 Notches and a Pass only has 6300 feet of climbing which includes Kinsman, Franconia, Crawford, Bear and the Kanc in 94 miles.
    Got a barometer on your computer?

I would love to do 9k in only 89 miles.

banned
    Sep 2008
    two people i rode with had gps and $hit. both had same mileage and vert. we did pinkham from n-con. pinkham b/dolly copp rd. jefferson notch and bear notch. back kanc/passaconaway/west side rd.

do the d2r2 ride with us. 16,500 vert in 180k or 112 miles. more vert than any day in the tour de france. will be fun!

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Exposure Lights USA View Post
    88.8 and 5833ft of climbing on that ride. We tracked you, so no fudging the numbers!
    LOL...someone get Rog a Garmin so he can stop lying to everyone.

Thanks Steve...I was kinda hoping he had a great climbing route that no one knew about.

By the way, I climbed 15,000ft in 129.97 miles today but only averaged 22.4mph. But oops, I forgot my Garmin to prove it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    fords gps $ucks then

see why i wouldn't buy one? good ride whatever it was. the friggin weather made it all time. i was even whining about it. did you track that?

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    I've been looking at that ride for awhile. I heard it is amazing! All that vert and in Mass to boot.
    Just razzin' ya by the way.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Thanks Steve...I was kinda hoping he had a great climbing route that no one knew about.
    i do, but one of our party wanted none of it.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    I've been looking at that ride for awhile. I heard it is amazing! All that vert and in Mass to boot.
    Just razzin' ya by the way.
    razz away! i'm down with it!

ya d2r2 is gonna be kinda stupid. in a good way. figured you'd be all over it.

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    fords gps $ucks then

see why i wouldn't buy one? good ride whatever it was. the friggin weather made it all time. i was even whining about it. did you track that?

rog
    We just did a very similar version of the ride you all did today this past Sunday. We started with Thorn Hill rd into Jackson and instead of Dolly Copp rd we went to Gorham on 16 but then skipped Bear Notch at the tail end and ended up with 82.8 and 5629 ft of climbing. You would have to do Hurricane Mtn, Evans Notch, Jefferson Notch, Crawford Notch (backside) and Bear Notch to net 9k and it would be about 115 miles.

That is a great climb up Jefferson though, and yeah, just razzin you Rog.

Steve
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

banned
    Sep 2008
    You would have to do Hurricane Mtn, Evans Notch, Jefferson Notch, Crawford Notch (backside) and Bear Notch to net 9k and it would be about 115 miles.
    heh, that's the EXACT one i suggested. fkna. so great.

That is a great climb up Jefferson though, and yeah, just razzin you Rog.
    the descent was insane with rivers of dirt/sand and it all blurring your vision. pouring so hard. glad i had the 25c tires.

rog

the train keeps rollin
    Rog, time to trade in your tin can phone for a smartphone.
    beaver hunt

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Rog, time to trade in your tin can phone for a smartphone.
    give it time dood, i just finally started texting!

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    just razzin you Rog.
    Steve
    oh ya, so on the ride, m's bike was creaking like a bastid. and neither of their bikes were shifting well and they were dropping chains. at 1st i was envious of their bikes that were like 5+ lbs lighter than the cross bike i was riding, their wheelsets alone cost more than my whole bike! then i was happy that my bike ran flawlessly and quietly. i told them a few times they should bring the bikes from their shop to me for tune ups at my shop

heh.

rog

mtbr member
    careful rog, once you get a smart phone you may start shuttling...
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

banned
    Sep 2008
    nevar^^^^^^^^^

nice day today!

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    I'm going in for D2R2. I'm fat, but it'll be a great workout.

cranktankerous Mainer
    ehh.. Strava is ok, but I really don’t like using it too much. Its adds an element of stress & complexity that harshes my buzz. For instance- I really don’t like carrying a bunch of crap in my camelback. When I got my smart(dumb) phone it was awesome- camera, gps map, angry birds and ah.. phone all in one, nice! But now this Strava crap comes along and I’m learning if I really want to do it right I need to carry a GPS and upload it. It just doesn’t work good on a phone, totally drains the battery compared to Endo, and there is NO MAP while you’re riding?! It really pisses me off when it doesn’t record segments after I’ve pedaled like a Cavendish, it doesn’t record a segment and my friend behind me gets a KOM or some Bsh!t I’m getting pissed just thinking about it all those non- recorded segments that I put life on a limb for! Going up to Millstoner & P-Hill this weekend, I’ll give it one more shot tying it with my Garmin. I do like seeing my times on the trail as it relates to others, but again the competition aspect that creeps in complicates life on a bike, which is not my deal.

@Rog…but I do really enjoy looking at data from my friends rides and seeing what they are up to. It makes absolutely no sense to me why you wouldn’t want to record rides or ski trips? Just get that Garmin 210 watch and upload on a computer, easy! And you’ll have all your yearly totals of mileage and elevation gain and I’m sure many KOMs. The descriptive stories are nice, but without hard data and maps it’s like drinking flat soda.

@ Snowdrifter- what's your handle on Strava, could't find it and I want to follow you..or just find me- Toddski (space) . (period)
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski View Post
    @ Snowdrifter- what's your handle on Strava, could't find it and I want to follow you..or just find me- Toddski (space) . (period)
    Toddski, my handle is Dodging Trees. I usually turn Strava on for the sections I want to challenge or map out, then off. I can't do the entire ride, it's too stessful.
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    I love Strava!

I figure out what trails I want to improve my times on, put my phone in my pack and ride. Save the ride when I am done. I have a good phone, GPS tracks are accurate, battery lasts all day. Great App. No need to look at it while I ride, no interest in taking away from that experience.

It has definitely improved my riding.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum View Post
    . No need to look at it while I ride, no interest in taking away from that experience.
    I'm checking it as I ride, literally
    beaver hunt

cranktankerous Mainer
    If you start thinking about throwing your phone over the finish line to gain a few seconds… you may have a Strava problem.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

Got A Lust for Life...
    I've got an Edge 500. I look at the KOMs I want before I go, turn it on, ride, turn it off, plug it in and upload. No stress. Just a couple more steps than usual. No biggie. I've got a couple I'm going to try to snag tonight.

think
    Jul 2008
    Strava is fun. I enjoy both tracking what I do and checking out what my friends are up to. Even Roger would like it if his Luddite ass bought a phone or gps.

Toddski, my handle is Dodging Trees. I usually turn Strava on for the sections I want to challenge or map out, then off. I can't do the entire ride, it's too stessful.
    Did you make the "Bear to Hall Slice" segment that I apparently was KOM of and then lit up by 30 seconds on? I got an "uh oh" email but don't recall seeing the segment, so I figured it was freshly created and Strava just hiccup'd.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    Did you make the "Bear to Hall Slice" segment that I apparently was KOM of and then lit up by 30 seconds on? I got an "uh oh" email but don't recall seeing the segment, so I figured it was freshly created and Strava just hiccup'd.
    I sure did
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    Love it. Is your name Dave?

the train keeps rollin
    If you start thinking about throwing your phone over the finish line to gain a few seconds… you may have a Strava problem.

I'm not there yet, but good
    beaver hunt

the train keeps rollin
    This is what you look like after Severum takes all your KOMs.

Loser mountainbiker cries like a baby after lost sprint - YouTube
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    This is what you look like after Severum takes all your KOMs.

Loser mountainbiker cries like a baby after lost sprint - YouTube
    I guess this is in response to my attempt to recruit Matt O. into trying to take one of your prize KOMs. I deserve it.

He just KILLED it at Oak Hill today.

Funny video!

the train keeps rollin
    I guess this is in response to my attempt to recruit Matt O. into trying to take one of your prize KOMs. I deserve it.

He just KILLED it at Oak Hill today.

Funny video!

Come one Lou, you are only 3 seconds off, recruit yourself.
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    Come one Lou, you are only 3 seconds off, recruit yourself.
    In due time. I have other interests first.

think
    Jul 2008
    Love it. Is your name Dave?
    Yeah that's me. King of the 8th place on Strava haha. Mediocre results everywhere I go.

mtbr member
    I'm liking Strava too. I've only been using it for a week. I was using Endomondo, and I still kind of like that app better, but the segments on Strava are fun.

I don't think GPS can resolve all the twists and turns of a technical, forested trail system like Ft. Rock (and most of our trails) though. It seems that distances are a little underestimated in areas like this.

vermonter
    lmao toddski,
    No is yet using strava in the woods down here in the south, but I've been setting up some climbing and descending segments in the hope that others will get on the bandwagon.
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

Black Lion
    Strava is cool, just been on for a few days
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Hey Todd

Has anyone snagged your Ktichel KOM @ Kingdom yet?

My name is Steve and I'm a STRAVA wh0re.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

Ride and Smile suckas
    Strava is awesome. Love the motivation... and really love the emails
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    I joined Strava after reading this forum. I love it! I have been setting up segments on my favorite runs at Pine Hill Park.
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    I just started using Strava recently. It is a huge motivator for me. Its like having a faster rider on your tail the entire ride. Without Strava you might stop for a breather at the top of a hill. With Strava you know your segment time will be voided if you stop so you push through to the end!

Got A Lust for Life...
    I've been entertained watching Greg, Sev and Snowdrifter exchange KOMs the last few weeks. Funny as hell. Myself and this 140lb guy have been trading off hill KOMs...I weigh 200lbs. Talk about painful.

the train keeps rollin
    YoG took my Sent Ripper, now there's a tree across the trail, it's mad!
    beaver hunt

Ride and Smile suckas
    Could Strava be good for trail maintenance??? i think so. Winning is Motivation
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by mcstumpy View Post
    Could Strava be good for trail maintenance??? i think so. Winning is Motivation
    Not sure about maintenance but i'll bet Strava is good for creating straightline braids. Not planning to go there myself.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Not sure about maintenance but i'll bet Strava is good for creating straightline braids. Not planning to go there myself.
    I think lazy a$$holes are good for creating straightline braids...Strava or not. Now that you mention it, racers are the worst at straight lining...Strava or not. You may have a great point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    After hearing a lot about it I'd been meaning to check strava out...haven't gottne around to it yet. Thought this was very interesting....

Strava Smartphone App Under Fire for Reckless Riding

mtbr member
    That is an interesting topic to bring up. I don't think there is a lawsuit there, but it does open the conversation about trail etiquette. At ski resorts, riders and skiers are always reminded to ski/ride in control and the downhill skier/rider has the right of way. Given the wide trails and the fact that everyone is generally traveling in the same direction collisions don't happen too often. On single track mountain bike trails that are shared by other hikers and bikers traveling in both directions there is a greater risk for collision as the speeds increase. I think this article should serve as a reminder that everyone should ride in control at all times, especially when speeds exceed 15 mph on narrow switchbacks that offer limited forward visibility. Also remember that most parks do not have first aid stations that can respond within minutes of a mountain biking accident.

mtbr member
    Strava is digital crack I love to hate it. I forgot my phone the other day and went out of my way to get it prior to my ride. It is very addicting and makes you really challenge yourself for every ride.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    I'm a lurker here. I got on Strava this summer. I do like the little extra motivation it gives me to push a little harder up a long climb or to ride a little longer. Personally, I don't think it has made me more reckless in any way. I really am only concerned with chasing the uphill KOMs or the more technical segments. Chasing a downhill KOM seems like it is just an invitation for injury. Long before I ever got on Strava I started limiting my riding to "off-peak" hours and days to avoid any negative interactions with others on the trail. I've always liked to ride fast and that's how I've dealt with it. I will admit it is very addictive, but at least I could stop any time.
    mark T. | Cyclist | Strava

cranktankerous Mainer
    Ha, I don’t normally ride like an Ahole, but when I do- it’s Strava!
    Just the other night I got thrown over the handlebars while cranking (never happens), then I got cut off and stuffed into a tree trying to pass a buddy on a DH segment(he did it on purpose), and I totally don’t wait for anybody at intersections anymore, (F’em, they are slow). Strava is awesome!
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Ha, I don’t normally ride like an Ahole, but when I do- it’s Strava!
    Just the other night I got thrown over the handlebars while cranking (never happens), then I got cut off and stuffed into a tree trying to pass a buddy on a DH segment(he did it on purpose), and I totally don’t wait for anybody at intersections anymore, (F’em, they are slow). Strava is awesome!
    Awesome! We should ride some time.

Oh, wait, I just remembered that nobody likes to ride with me anymore.

mtbr member
    I totally don’t wait for anybody at intersections anymore, (F’em, they are slow). Strava is awesome!
    For this very reason, I try to create segments that only run between intersections and I always start and end them deep enough into the trail to get everyone's accurate times whether they are stopping at intersections or not. It helps with our group rides because we can get our segments done without leaving anyone behind.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
    For this very reason, I try to create segments that only run between intersections and I always start and end them deep enough into the trail to get everyone's accurate times whether they are stopping at intersections or not. It helps with our group rides because we can get our segments done without leaving anyone behind.
    He was being sarcastic.

mtbr member
    I assumed there was a bit of sarcasm...but I was just pointing out my technique for finding a compromise between chasing your strava goals and enjoying company on your rides.

beer thief
    He was being sarcastic.
    No he wasn't, he was describing a solo ride. Toddski has a wild imagination.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    No he wasn't, he was describing a solo ride. Toddski has a wild imagination.
    Rob, he said;
    "Ha, I don’t normally ride like an Ahole, but when I do- it’s Strava!
    Just the other night I got thrown over the handlebars while cranking (never happens), then I got cut off and stuffed into a tree trying to pass a buddy on a DH segment(he did it on purpose), and I totally don’t wait for anybody at intersections anymore, (F’em, they are slow). Strava is awesome!"

I guess I am missing your point. Sounds like sarcasm to me.

cranktankerous Mainer
    Actually no, That all really happens when I turn Strava on. I have better luck staying upright and it safer for others around me when I ride solo fer sure. Since I got my Garmin 200edge (thanks for the crack discount Exeter Cycles!) I now in earnest am trying to knock off the KOMs around Aggie, damn Kilburn on Dam to Dam has my chamois in a bunch, first time I tried to beat his time I told my group- “see you later at the end, no break in the middle for me.”,and took off like a bat out of hell! I was killing it till my back brake caliper jostled loose and I had to stop to fix, blew that run. Then I went out on a solo mission to try and knock it off again and was horrified with myself as I started to turn into Mr. Hyde- “there better not be someone coming the other way cause I gonna fcking RUN THEM OVER!” now whether or not I would REALLY follow through with that mentality is somewhat questionable, but I did have the mindset. How else am I going to make up 24 seconds?! Maybe some testosterone patches will help the situation?

...and who the F is "Honey Badger", don't like his times either, stay in your own state!
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    “there better not be someone coming the other way cause I gonna fcking RUN THEM OVER!” now whether or not I would REALLY follow through with that mentality is somewhat questionable, but I did have the mindset. How else am I going to make up 24 seconds?! Maybe some testosterone patches will help the situation?

...and who the F is "Honey Badger", don't like his times either, stay in your own state!
    The testosterone might help with the performance but I don't think it will help with that mindset at all.

mtbr member
    You don't F with the Honey Badger!

Got A Lust for Life...
    Actually no, That all really happens when I turn Strava on. I have better luck staying upright and it safer for others around me when I ride solo fer sure. Since I got my Garmin 200edge (thanks for the crack discount Exeter Cycles!) I now in earnest am trying to knock off the KOMs around Aggie, damn Kilburn on Dam to Dam has my chamois in a bunch, first time I tried to beat his time I told my group- “see you later at the end, no break in the middle for me.”,and took off like a bat out of hell! I was killing it till my back brake caliper jostled loose and I had to stop to fix, blew that run. Then I went out on a solo mission to try and knock it off again and was horrified with myself as I started to turn into Mr. Hyde- “there better not be someone coming the other way cause I gonna fcking RUN THEM OVER!” now whether or not I would REALLY follow through with that mentality is somewhat questionable, but I did have the mindset. How else am I going to make up 24 seconds?! Maybe some testosterone patches will help the situation?

Too funny! Well, I'm happy to stand corrected about my previous comments.

When I rode Dam to Dam I had no idea where I was going. I had only ridden it once back in November of 2006. And to make matters worse, it was hot that day and I couldn't see because the sweat from trying to get the West Turpike(took a wrong turn) segment was dripping out of my helmet. LOL.

I need to get Folly's Fall again. I rode that with Racing Ralphs. Not the best DH tires, go figure. The drifting around those loose corners was insane.

I love it down there.

Members who have read this thread: 0