Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    the train keeps rollin

Strava Roll Call

Who here is on Strava? If you are on Strava, has it influenced your riding? I signed up a few weeks ago. I've been in the pain-locker ever since. I get these annoying emails, "Ut Oh" so and so has taken your KOM. Like WTF, now I gotta go represent
    beaver hunt

Got A Lust for Life...
    You know I am on there trying to destroy all the KOMs in my area. Mostly road and mostly really f'n fast. I really like it. On a ride I would normally just cruise along, I find myself buried in a pain cave for a couple portions. It helped this weekend at the Carrabassett Valley Challenge. That is fo sho.
    I am immune to your disdain.

the train keeps rollin
    There's a couple at KOMs I've been defending, they take it, I take it back.. killing myself for a few seconds!
    beaver hunt

Got A Lust for Life...
    It is worth it. It pushes everyone. I'm still not fond of the downhill road KOMs. Not going there with a little guy at home.
    I created some segments locally(a lot actually) that guys are already taking or trying to take. Makes everyone faster. I love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    what does one need to be part of this strava deal. i-phone/smart phone? gps? bike computer? if any of those are needed, i'm out.

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    You are out. GPS tracks for the win.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    heh, ya i'll NEVER buy one of those things. not into gadgets of any kind whatsoever. i tolerate bicycles, barely

did a nice 89 miler with 9k of climbing today. got absolutely HAMMERED by torrential downpours and near zero viz coming into the climb up jefferson notch and then the whole descent was rediculous. like a hurricane. just poured water outta my frame from today. was frozen to the bone with numb hands by the time i hit crawford notch. hat to get a steaming cup o coffee at highland center to warm up. then the sun came out and got hot as ballz for the bear notch climb. so good!

no strava for me tho

rog

mtbr member
    88.8 and 5833ft of climbing on that ride. We tracked you, so no fudging the numbers!
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

Got A Lust for Life...
    How were you measuring the aggregate elevation gain? 4 Notches and a Pass only has 6300 feet of climbing which includes Kinsman, Franconia, Crawford, Bear and the Kanc in 94 miles.
    Got a barometer on your computer?

I would love to do 9k in only 89 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    two people i rode with had gps and $hit. both had same mileage and vert. we did pinkham from n-con. pinkham b/dolly copp rd. jefferson notch and bear notch. back kanc/passaconaway/west side rd.

do the d2r2 ride with us. 16,500 vert in 180k or 112 miles. more vert than any day in the tour de france. will be fun!

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Exposure Lights USA View Post
    88.8 and 5833ft of climbing on that ride. We tracked you, so no fudging the numbers!
    LOL...someone get Rog a Garmin so he can stop lying to everyone.

Thanks Steve...I was kinda hoping he had a great climbing route that no one knew about.

By the way, I climbed 15,000ft in 129.97 miles today but only averaged 22.4mph. But oops, I forgot my Garmin to prove it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    fords gps $ucks then

see why i wouldn't buy one? good ride whatever it was. the friggin weather made it all time. i was even whining about it. did you track that?

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    I've been looking at that ride for awhile. I heard it is amazing! All that vert and in Mass to boot.
    Just razzin' ya by the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Thanks Steve...I was kinda hoping he had a great climbing route that no one knew about.
    i do, but one of our party wanted none of it.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    I've been looking at that ride for awhile. I heard it is amazing! All that vert and in Mass to boot.
    Just razzin' ya by the way.
    razz away! i'm down with it!

ya d2r2 is gonna be kinda stupid. in a good way. figured you'd be all over it.

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    fords gps $ucks then

see why i wouldn't buy one? good ride whatever it was. the friggin weather made it all time. i was even whining about it. did you track that?

rog
    We just did a very similar version of the ride you all did today this past Sunday. We started with Thorn Hill rd into Jackson and instead of Dolly Copp rd we went to Gorham on 16 but then skipped Bear Notch at the tail end and ended up with 82.8 and 5629 ft of climbing. You would have to do Hurricane Mtn, Evans Notch, Jefferson Notch, Crawford Notch (backside) and Bear Notch to net 9k and it would be about 115 miles.

That is a great climb up Jefferson though, and yeah, just razzin you Rog.

Steve
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You would have to do Hurricane Mtn, Evans Notch, Jefferson Notch, Crawford Notch (backside) and Bear Notch to net 9k and it would be about 115 miles.
    heh, that's the EXACT one i suggested. fkna. so great.

That is a great climb up Jefferson though, and yeah, just razzin you Rog.
    the descent was insane with rivers of dirt/sand and it all blurring your vision. pouring so hard. glad i had the 25c tires.

rog

the train keeps rollin
    Rog, time to trade in your tin can phone for a smartphone.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Rog, time to trade in your tin can phone for a smartphone.
    give it time dood, i just finally started texting!

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    just razzin you Rog.
    Steve
    oh ya, so on the ride, m's bike was creaking like a bastid. and neither of their bikes were shifting well and they were dropping chains. at 1st i was envious of their bikes that were like 5+ lbs lighter than the cross bike i was riding, their wheelsets alone cost more than my whole bike! then i was happy that my bike ran flawlessly and quietly. i told them a few times they should bring the bikes from their shop to me for tune ups at my shop

heh.

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    careful rog, once you get a smart phone you may start shuttling...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    nevar^^^^^^^^^

nice day today!

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    I'm going in for D2R2. I'm fat, but it'll be a great workout.

cranktankerous Mainer
    ehh.. Strava is ok, but I really donít like using it too much. Its adds an element of stress & complexity that harshes my buzz. For instance- I really donít like carrying a bunch of crap in my camelback. When I got my smart(dumb) phone it was awesome- camera, gps map, angry birds and ah.. phone all in one, nice! But now this Strava crap comes along and Iím learning if I really want to do it right I need to carry a GPS and upload it. It just doesnít work good on a phone, totally drains the battery compared to Endo, and there is NO MAP while youíre riding?! It really pisses me off when it doesnít record segments after Iíve pedaled like a Cavendish, it doesnít record a segment and my friend behind me gets a KOM or some Bsh!t Iím getting pissed just thinking about it all those non- recorded segments that I put life on a limb for! Going up to Millstoner & P-Hill this weekend, Iíll give it one more shot tying it with my Garmin. I do like seeing my times on the trail as it relates to others, but again the competition aspect that creeps in complicates life on a bike, which is not my deal.

@RogÖbut I do really enjoy looking at data from my friends rides and seeing what they are up to. It makes absolutely no sense to me why you wouldnít want to record rides or ski trips? Just get that Garmin 210 watch and upload on a computer, easy! And youíll have all your yearly totals of mileage and elevation gain and Iím sure many KOMs. The descriptive stories are nice, but without hard data and maps itís like drinking flat soda.

@ Snowdrifter- what's your handle on Strava, could't find it and I want to follow you..or just find me- Toddski (space) . (period)
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski View Post
    @ Snowdrifter- what's your handle on Strava, could't find it and I want to follow you..or just find me- Toddski (space) . (period)
    Toddski, my handle is Dodging Trees. I usually turn Strava on for the sections I want to challenge or map out, then off. I can't do the entire ride, it's too stessful.
    beaver hunt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast