mtbr member

Stratham Hill tree clearing / logging

Not sure how many folks on here ride up at Stratham Hill park, but it's one of my favorite spots for getting a quick couple of hours in. Just a heads up - apparently there's some kind of insect infestation, and they had to clear out a pretty good sized chunk of the SE side of the park.

Hemlock woolly adelgid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This used to be the last 1/4 or so of the Father and Son trail/segment going east to west:

The trail itself is completely gone after that point, all the way up to the USA Today box and the start of that trail. When I first came to it, I was pedaling my ass off trying to get a decent time on the Strava segment there (F&S was my favorite trail there) and was pretty stunned when the trail just immediately ended in a big wash of downed trees and logging equipment. I was pissed off at first (thinking they were expanding the nearby housing development into the park or something), but shortly came across this:

Hopefully they get it under control, but still a bummer - a few trails on the S/SW side are just gone, (though they did cut a few detours).
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced 1
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    The spread of Woolt Adelgid has been devastating in many parts of southern New England. It can hard to see local tails ruined by the preventative logging, but I understand the decision.

beer thief
    The sign says temporary closure. Plan to help out with the reclamation once the logging is done. The trail is still there, you'll just need to uncover it. Believe me, we know how difficult this can be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It's an old thread...but the next wave of logging at SHP has started. And this time they aren't being as clean about it. I have also not seen any noticies that indicate the logging is for Woolly Adelgid control. (though I have been told it is)

This time the logging is on Jewel Hill, and has just about destroyed the majority of the following trails in the vacinity of Jewel Hill: Outer Perimeter Trail, USA Today Trail, and Fire Pit Trail. As well as many of the little offshoot single track trails used by the race series.
    Trying not to solve skill problems with equipment solutions. Just ride more.

mtbr member
    Ah man, that's so unfortunate.

If whoever maintains the trails reads this, I'd love to help out any time I can with cutting new trail or clearing off any existing sections that may be covered in debris. I'm sure there are plenty of others that would be willing to lend a hand as well.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced 1
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I spoke with Dave Short (from the flyer above) last night. He is one of the land owners and is also the one responsible for building and maintaining 90% of the trails outside of the actual park, as well as coordinating the annual "No Brakes Race". We talked a lot about trail work and improvements, and I offered my time, and tools to help. We are planning to ride the trails soon and asses areas that need the most attention. He is also going to meet up with the logger and convey concerns and also find out what sections of trail logging is complete on and we can begin rebuilding.

It's always a good feeling when the anger subsides and you are able to start moving forward. I will certainly let him know that there are other people willing to help as well. He said most of the work done is when he can get a bunch of guys together and just go take care of things that need attention, no advertised trail work days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any new developments on logging? I just got an email about he race series starting late July.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    Any new developments on logging? I just got an email about he race series starting late July.
    well, with the race loop going from last years 5.5/6 to just over 8 miles this year, they must have a plan to have many of the affected areas cleaned up by the time the series starts. just a thought

bit muggy out in the woods this am. 3.5 hours with one lil bottle of water

time to hydrate......

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am riding tonight and can provide an update afterwords. I have not had a chance to ride the park since speaking with Dave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by freeclimbmtb View Post
    I am riding tonight and can provide an update afterwords. I have not had a chance to ride the park since speaking with Dave.
    you still out there? nice morning for a ride. may even be a long sleeve morning

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll be heading there tonight. Leading a group ride for Trek Portsmouth at 5:30 and it'll be a mellow ride. Hope to see some people show up and I'll post an update of what's good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode yesterday afternoon. The trails get a little bit vague where I mentioned before: Firepit/USA Today trail crossings. Much to my excitement, the trails are being ridden in and they are not in as bad a shape now as the first day I was on them as the brush is being beaten down. It was wet yesterday as it rained, but just about everything was ridable, albeit slick, long hill especially. Should be nice and dry for you today though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^thanx for the update!

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I rode out there tonight (6-13-14) and turned around. Virtually all gone. So very sad. Sloppy logging too. Lots of damage to the remaining trees. Skidding directly up and down the slopes. If they were after the hemlocks they got sidetracked with the oak. Most of the cutting looks to be oak. Plus there has been extensive dozer work done piling slash and moving rocks in some spots. Looks like site conversion to me (i.e development). Seems like they could have worked around the existing MTB trails. Pretty depressing evening for me. My favorite trail system that kept getting better and better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Stratham Hill tree clearing / logging

I feel your pain, but as others have said, it is a chance for improvements. And I've spoken to the owners, there are no plans for a development. Part of the cleared area will be used to breed nursery stock though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk