mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Stowe > Waterbury > Richmond > ?

Any info on connecting Stowe > Waterbury and then on to Richmond? Maybe over to HTF?
    Or from Waterbury down into the MRV?

Looking to mix up my riding - I've done a short loop from BTV out to Richmond and then through HTF to Lincoln Hill. With more time I would have pressed on through Carse and then back home.

Dirt road is welcome. Even a bit of pave. Ideally I could come over Smuggs, and then pick my way south on dirt / trail.

Would love it if Cotton Brook was open through to LRSP... but as far as I know that is not possible.

Any help?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I grew up and now again live in jericho, lived in morrisville too, and I have no idea what you are talking about. htf? carse? I know how to connect the mills river area or ciley hill to saxon hill though, mostly trail and dirt road/neighborhoods if you want that info. you could also avert to go up in stowe by lake mansfield, there's likely someway to get over to the ethan allen range and from there its a quick pedal to richmond

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Actually, Cotton Brook is open to LRSP. I'm not sure exactly where, but it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    I grew up and now again live in jericho, lived in morrisville too, and I have no idea what you are talking about. htf? carse? I know how to connect the mills river area or ciley hill to saxon hill though, mostly trail and dirt road/neighborhoods if you want that info. you could also avert to go up in stowe by lake mansfield, there's likely someway to get over to the ethan allen range and from there its a quick pedal to richmond
    HTF = Hinesburg Town Forest
    Carse = Carse Hills

These are south of Richmond, something I can do on road / dirt road.
    Looking to see about trail. I think one can ride up over Cochran's and then connect from Dugway to HTF.

But, I'd rather focus on Stowe > Waterbury.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    holy crap you are ambitious, thats a multiday ride for me! anyways, it seems like you want to stay more to the richmond side of things. I've got nothing for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    holy crap you are ambitious, thats a multiday ride for me! anyways, it seems like you want to stay more to the richmond side of things. I've got nothing for that.
    No, really I want to focus on Stowe > Waterbury. I have most of the Richmond stuff worked out, and I can dirt road from Waterbury to Richmond easy enough.

What I'd like to do ideally:

BTV to Smuggs via pave / dirt, drop down the notch, then to Moscow? somehow, then to Waterbury.

From there, I can head to MRV or to Richmond / Hinesburg.

I need Waterbury to MRV, but I'll take what I can get in small pieces.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Stowe/Waterbury Section

I don't believe Cotton Brook to LRSP has ever been officially opened. You could try this,

After coming over the Notch ride RT 108 down to Matterhorn then back up into the Mansfield touring center take the nordic trails to the Haul Rd to Luce Hill to Trapps Hill. Ride up towards Trapps. Jump on the Pipeline trail headed down to Stowe High School. Stowe High School to Strawberry Farm doing your best to hook into Stowe Town loops taking Zogs to the power station on the River Rd. River Rd to Moscow to Rt 100. North on 100 to Gold Brook to Dewey Hill to Stowe Hollow to Waterworks/Sweet Farm Rd to Ripley Rd turning into Kneeland Flats. Turn right on Perry Hill and grab the Perry Hill network from the top. Perry hill down to skating rink or East St then take the River rd back to Richmond.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've biked from Richmond up through Waterbury (little river state park) on through stowe, through the notch, and back through underhill and jericho mostly on trail and dirt road. Call it the cirqu de mansfield. Always a great adventure. Between 70-90 miles depending on what trails and route you take. Often do the waterbury to stowe, big loop in stowe, and back to waterbury a few times every summer. you can make it 30-60 miles depending if you make it out to do Mud City Rapids and some of the stuff out past Sterling Valley.
    To do it from Richmond, we ride out the river trail, stay on the river road, poach across the snowmobile bridge and head up toward little river state park. If you want even more climbing, head up the cochran stuff from richmond and head down the cliff trail (drops you on the bottom of dugway). either way you have about a 8 mile dirt rd spin up the river rd before you cross the bridge and head up toward little river. the little river connector trail to cottonbrook is in great shape. we (VMBA, Stowe, fellowship, etc...) had a big trail day up there last year and buffed out the connector. rode it last month and it is still in great shape. Drop the cotton brook trail to moscow. from there we usually head up through the high farm trail to shaw hill east and into Zoggs and the town trails. Or you could head right up towards trapps, or head up to the trout club and take the old county road in the trapps network or way over to Adams camp. Really, pretty much unlimited epics.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    For the MRV connections, you can ride Cobb Hill, from the corner of RT2 and 100 in Waterbury. Cobb Hill is dirt, then turns to trail until it ends up on Steven's Brook Rd in Moretown. From there, ride down Steven's Brook to 100B, it's only a mile or so to town. (There used to be a connection on trail from Steven's Brook, we need to do some more landowner relationship building to get it re-opened.) Then you can ride trail or dirt roads into the rest of the MRV network.

The other option is to go up Honey Hollow towards Camel's Hump, over Beaver Meadows and into North Fayston, where you can link into the Phen Basin or Center Fayston trails. Tyler M. has done some this ride, and may offer some good beta.

With the new Ride Center in Little River State Park, the goal is to connect the Waterbury, Stowe, Fellowship, MRV and beyond.

Have fun!