Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    233

    Stowe trail heads and home ownership

    Possibly considering buying a house in Stowe.

    Where would be the best place ( location/street) to buy a house that I can ride to the trail head or even multiple trail heads?. I'd like to be able to leave my car at home and just bike over to the trails.

    Thanks for any feedback.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,135
    Een though Stowe is the largest town in Vermont there is enough trail that you can bike to the trails from pretty much anywhere. Have you explored the riding here?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    233
    I rode 1x over on the trails at Trapp Family lodge, the town loops 1x and I've ridden the loop behind the bike shop a couple of times. I still have a lot more exploring to do.

    I was wondering if it was easier to get to most of the trails living off of 108 on the way to the mountain, or if it was better out by Stowe Hollow road to have access to the state forest there.

    An area I like up there is Notchbrook zone or Edson hill.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,135
    From the standpoint of trail access, Stowe Hollow is probably the worst area, but even then you are only 1-2 miles from the Town Loops. Edson Hill/Notchbrook area has tons of riding all around it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    256
    Stowe is one of those places where the kids actually do walk to school uphill both ways... If you live in Stowe you can probably ride from your house to the trails, but plan on feeling like you're going uphill more than you go down. The trails are spread out over the entire town (and nudge into a few of the surrounding). You can start in town and be in Sterling Valley 20 minutes later (it almost takes longer to drive it in a car). Take a look at the taxes, and where you'll have to drive to get to work (100 is jammed in the morning and evenings with people getting to 89).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    233
    Ha, uphill both ways.

    I did feel like it felt that way on the times I've been in Stowe. Very hilly roads, all over the place. That's kind of what I was getting at. I'd like to be able to comfortably make my way to a trail head without a 20 minute road ride and finish mountain biking nearby without a 20 minute road ride back to the house.

    It's going to be a second house for us, considering selling our house in Maine.

    I don't have to worry about morning commutes

    The taxes are crazy, especially compared to Maine, but on par with the taxes I pay here in MA. I don't like high property taxes, but you only live once, might as well like where you are living.

    I need to get up there and do more exploring on the bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Stowe is one of those places where the kids actually do walk to school uphill both ways... If you live in Stowe you can probably ride from your house to the trails, but plan on feeling like you're going uphill more than you go down. The trails are spread out over the entire town (and nudge into a few of the surrounding). You can start in town and be in Sterling Valley 20 minutes later (it almost takes longer to drive it in a car). Take a look at the taxes, and where you'll have to drive to get to work (100 is jammed in the morning and evenings with people getting to 89).

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    698
    Stowe is nowhere near the largest town in Vermont. Did you leave out the "not"?

    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Een though Stowe is the largest town in Vermont there is enough trail that you can bike to the trails from pretty much anywhere. Have you explored the riding here?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post

    It's going to be a second house for us, considering selling our house in Maine.
    Sigh...

  9. #9
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Stowe is nowhere near the largest town in Vermont. Did you leave out the "not"?
    stowe is the largest by AREA that is a fact.

    If you riding to trail heads anywhere at the town elevation on the mountain road is going to be a great spot. I

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    stowe is the largest by AREA that is a fact.
    I assumed he meant population. Learn something new every day...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Sigh...
    Stowe will be perfect for you. Lot's of folks who are free to ride all week! Very well marketed trail network and some really high end shops. Don't worry so much about the hills. Never hard to find folks to shuttle around with. Look in the Robinson Springs area on Edson Hill Road. Right in the heart of the best riding and right at the top of the best shuttle run in town. Have you seen the improvments at the Resort? I think you'll find the scene up there very much to you liking as well. As is often said, "Welcome to Stowe, you'll find Vermont 10 miles in any direction."

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Sigh...
    Ha!

  13. #13
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    978
    Josh M. | Cyclist | Strava to give you an idea of just how littered with Trails stowe is this less than half of the singletrack in stowe proper.

    I rode from my house....

    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Nicest day of the year in stowe. near Stowe | Times and Records | Strava

    this is sterling valley side of stowe again from my house...

    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sterling Valley Ramble near Stowe | Times and Records | Strava

    and there is more trails then what those 2 maps show....

    anywhere near 108 or withing a couple miles of the 108/100 intersection on 100. IMO living in the valley is nicer so its all downhill to get back home.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sterling Valley Ramble near Stowe | Times and Records | Strava

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    233
    Thanks for chiming in everyone. Some good feedback and info. I appreciate it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pistol79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    200
    Stowe is the second largest town by acreage (72.7 square miles). With Chittenden being the largest. (74.2)
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

  16. #16
    EMR
    EMR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    As is often said, "Welcome to Stowe, you'll find Vermont 10 miles in any direction."
    Best thing I've heard all day!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Look in the Robinson Springs area on Edson Hill Road. Right in the heart of the best riding and right at the top of the best shuttle run in town.
    working on 2 projects up there right now. some pretty nice homes up in there, and its a haul to get back up in there. would love to bring the bike next time out... have to start looking for trails. thought robinson springs was 'private' (at least from the road...)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    working on 2 projects up there right now. some pretty nice homes up in there, and its a haul to get back up in there. would love to bring the bike next time out... have to start looking for trails. thought robinson springs was 'private' (at least from the road...)
    Dish Lane dead ends at a gate. Around the gate it becomes Old Billings Road and connects in to the Edson Hill Touring Ceter trails and Maple Run. You can also drop out of Robinson Springs down to the Matterhorn which basically puts you at the Adam's Camp trail head. Fairly sure the trails within the Robinson Springs development are marked as private but they do get ridden from time to time.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Dish Lane dead ends at a gate. Around the gate it becomes Old Billings Road and connects in to the Edson Hill Touring Ceter trails and Maple Run. You can also drop out of Robinson Springs down to the Matterhorn which basically puts you at the Adam's Camp trail head. Fairly sure the trails within the Robinson Springs development are marked as private but they do get ridden from time to time.
    I rode with a dude today for a bit out the Haul Rd (headed for Adams Camp) and he mentioned some trails out that way. Hmm, I hear about more stuff in Stowe all the time. All sorts of unofficial trails out there it seems... Need to find some more

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    I rode with a dude today for a bit out the Haul Rd (headed for Adams Camp) and he mentioned some trails out that way. Hmm, I hear about more stuff in Stowe all the time. All sorts of unofficial trails out there it seems... Need to find some more
    Most of the maple run stuff is mapped. A nice way to do it is to use the Sterling lot. Here's a paint map. Park at the end of sterling valley rd. Follow the red arrows over to maple run and climb to the top, turn right on old billings...ride over and climb up to peek a view. You'll know when you're at the top. Do the little mini loop up high, then head back take laurens back over to maple run...bomb down and bang right on god street (don't miss it) ride out and loop back on Kents....take 7 bridges back over to the car....head over and hit maple boul. A fun coupla hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stowe trail heads and home ownership-maple-run.jpg  


Similar Threads

  1. Heads up, Catoctin 50k Trail Run on Sat. 7/27. Runners on Blue trail
    By EABiker in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
  2. Heads up on Hawes Mine Trail
    By Douger-1 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
  3. What you can do to open the Stowe Trail (Sycamore Canyon SD)
    By Gardner in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 07:53 PM
  4. Kimmer's Trail Report Stowe
    By BushwackerinPA in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 05:10 AM
  5. Kimmer's Trail Report Stowe
    By BushwackerinPA in forum Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 04:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •