mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Stowe area/Von Trapp Lodge singletrack stuff

hi, just thinking ahead to spring/summer. i always concentrate any VT trips around KT for obvious reason, but i wanted to ask..What are the single track options like around Stowe? around Von Trapp Lodge, etc? what's the riding like?

Is it worth a full day/weekend of riding?

Thanks for helping out a southern new englander....

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    I've done some riding over there and it is quite good. Stowe has some great trails as does the town of Waterbury just to the south. I've only been over that way once on the single-track but it was a blast. You'll do some climbing. Others on here will have more experience and can probably give you better answers.

Stowe Mtn. Bike club has maps which you can get at some of the local shops in the area:
    Stowe Mountain Bike > HOME

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    awesome....thanks for the reply

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Great riding all over that area. We rode two days around Stowe and Trapp. Too many great trails. Trapp is fun. Single track is well done and the brew house makes great beer.
    In town riding is very good. Check with the bike shops for the trail systems. We would not have "stumbled onto" the trails without their input.

mdc
    mtbr member
    The riding in Stowe and Waterbury is awesome. It has a more "natural" feel than Kingdom- IMO. If you drove up to Stowe and hit MIllstone on Friday, Stowe town loops, Trapps and Kimmers on Saturday, and Perry Hill in Waterbury on Sunday- you would have had a great weekend. The only caveat is to watch the weather. If the trails are wet or muddy the locals do close them down, something I don't think you have to worry about at Kingdom...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Waterbury area and Stowe are awesome, but you could also consider spending a weekend at Green Mountain Trails in Pittsfield if you havent already. Pretty much the exact opposite feel of KT. Trails are really nice with a great combo of climbing and steep singletrack with a really distinct feel to them. A weekend is the perfect amount of time to get to know this place.

newhome

mtbr member
    I agree with PRCVT for obvious reasons. And would just like to add that though KT gets the lion's share of attention, and deservedly so, you could spend a solid week or two riding the lesser known regions of Vermont and be completely blown away. And the beauty of it is that they each have a unique feel to them. I don't know of any one area that is a clone of the other. I'm not going to name every one of them here, but I'll just mention that you can travel up through the Green Mountains and find another great gem about every twenty miles. Its why I live here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Plenty of good stuff in the Stowe area (I'm a local). There was a new mtb-specific map for the area put out last year which definitely takes away some of the mystique of actually finding some of these places. There are still some "unofficial" trails out there, but that map is a great resource for finding the official ones. You can find it at book stores in the area. I'm pretty sure it might have been published by Stowe MTB club, so check the link above.
    Also, Millstone is definitely great, though there's not much else to do around there for most folks.
    GMTrails, I have yet to ride on your trails, but every time I drive through Pittsfield (and I do a lot), I wish I wasn't on my way somewhere else (for work). One of these days I'll make it down there. Actually, I think a friend is getting married at a place across the street this summer, maybe that'll be my chance!

mtbr member
    Amee Lodge I'm betting. The land owner has a wedding venue on his property. Yeah, bring the bike. Those weddings usually last all day. Invite the groom too, just don't get lost before the ceremony

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    hi, just thinking ahead to spring/summer. i always concentrate any VT trips around KT for obvious reason, but i wanted to ask..What are the single track options like around Stowe? around Von Trapp Lodge, etc? what's the riding like?

Is it worth a full day/weekend of riding?

Thanks for helping out a southern new englander....
    You could ride for a week in Stowe and not get bored if you knew the trail system well enough. Alot of mapped stuff, and more every year. Alot of unmapped stuff that can be connected for longer rides. The longer loops do have some double track and scenic dirt road sections. There is some abrupt climbing here and there and the trails are a good mix of fast built trail and techy classic new england singletrack. PM me if you lock in a date. I'd be happy to show you some off the map stuff.