Ride and Smile suckas

Storm Damage? what is open, what is a mess

Please post what you know about your local ride spot so we know what we need to get out and clean up. Thank you.

NEMBA dude
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sandy has been a non-event on the North side of Franconia Notch. Though I'm sure there are a few sticks and small branches down, but nothing too serious. Come up and ride and ask me about a stupidly cheap deal on a room at the Franconia Inn!

mtbr member
    EDIT - 11/7

Just got back from a quick ride at Fort Rock on the Newfields side. I cleared a few of the smaller things. Lots of small branch litter. And someone has started some of the cleanup with a chainsaw. But here are a few things I spotted -

1. CLEARED - Tree down across trail on the Red Loop section immediately behind the Forest Ridge development. North side, by the finish of Strava -Half Ripper

2. Tree across the telephone cable trail just south of marker 10. (This tree may have been down before the storm.)

3. CLEARED - Tree across the large boardwalk at the beginning of the swamp crossing. Again, behind the Forest Ridge development.

I'll try to explore some more out there tomorrow and scope out things if time allows.
    Last edited by in the trees; 11-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    I did some cleaning at ft rock yesterday I had no saw but cleaned about 12 mile loop there was about 5 trees that will need a chainsaw. That I came across.

mtbr member
    I'm going to FOMBA Thursday morning how is it out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I rode Musquash last night. I cleaned most of the bigger things out on my route to Overlook, Betty Mack, Blue, Ravine, White, Overlook. There are still some larger trees that need to be cut with a saw in a few places. I am hoping to get back in there this weekend to help some more.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Horse Hill is completely open for business.
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Rode bear brook last night. Fair amount of blowdowns mostly medium size trees especially on the hemlocks. Lots of debris as well. Needs some chainsaw work.
    NHrider

JDM
    mtbr member
    Page Hill is in pretty good shape. I went out last night and blew the leaves and cleared almost all the dead fall. There are a couple larger trees to go back and get with a helper or a chainsaw, but they are so few that it wouldn't disrupt a ride too much.

We have a trail day there on Sunday to start a new trail and build some bridges on the newest trail. We'll also knock out the rest of the cleanup while we're there.

Competent User
    I can confirm Musquash is in good shape, other than some trees that might be getting worked on Monday. Great traction there right now. It was fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FOMBA's kind of a mess in spots - some fairly large trees down on Woodpecker, Hemlock Loop, and Red Pine. Not sure about other trails. Red Pine has one down length-wise along the trail that you basically have to balance beam across to continue.

see me rollin, they hatin
    south side of yudicky is nice and clean and blown, except for the trail with the big teeter. it's totally rideable though.

the north has a few large trees that you have to climb over. otherwise, just twiggy shrapnal. still rideable.

if anyone cares, Mine falls is fine too
    fap

Go Bruins!
    For those interested, Willowdale is in pretty decent shape right now. I did 15 miles in there yesterday, and the place was a mob scene. Look out for a new log ride on one of the new trails. Myself and a few guys pushed and cut this huge oak blow down out of the way and one of the guys is going to turn the remaining log into a little stunt. The major water crossing at Willowdale has been fixed with three new large drain pipes installed. No water at all in that 50yrd crossing.

Also, would like to give a big thumbs down to a few riders in there from yesterday who forced me off the trails during a couple of climbs as they blasted their way by me without a word or thought. Especially, the husband and wife team with the matching grey bell shirts. You two take the cake for running me off the trails so badly that I felt the need to stop, turn around, and scream at the two of you. The only low part of the day.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

the train keeps rollin
    Severum and I cleaned most of the blowdowns off Hemlock 2 and 3 @ Bear Brook, need to chainsaw a couple spots.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Musquash is now blown and clear of leaves, debris and downed trees. The only part I have not personally ridden yet is Heron trail (the one that takes you to Litchfield) but a report I received said it was clear also. Someone recently added an up-and-over out of 2x6" boards to get over one older tree crossing. I've noticed some chicken wire on a few bridge crossings too. With a friend today I cut out another older tree crossing on BettyMac/Blue and turned it into a skinny instead. Those upset that the tree was cut out should be thrilled to see a new challenge in its place.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
    Someone recently added an up-and-over out of 2x6" boards to get over one older tree crossing.
    I'm hoping that's the large tree that's at an angle on the Betty Mack Loop? That one was always an adventure due to the dynamic positioning of the debris people had stacked on either side.

I'm not sure how I feel about the addition of chicken wire....all the bridges there are flat and don't need it...it tends to turn into more of a liability over time than an asset. Still, I'm glad someone cares and is willing to do work...I'm sure the same person did a bunch of storm cleanup and the tedious work is appreciated.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    A thank you out to whomever blew the leaves at Stratham Hill.
    Rode there last Fri and at first had mixed thoughts on whether this was a good or bad thing.

Last night after riding at Mt A which had a few new blowdowns and lots of small snags mixed in amoungst the bed of leaves I gained a new appreciation for clear trails.

There's still plenty of places I can go to hear the crunch of leaves beneath my tires but it's also nice to have a place to ride without guessing what's hidden beneath.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    I'm hoping that's the large tree that's at an angle on the Betty Mack Loop? That one was always an adventure due to the dynamic positioning of the debris people had stacked on either side.

I'm not sure how I feel about the addition of chicken wire....all the bridges there are flat and don't need it...it tends to turn into more of a liability over time than an asset. Still, I'm glad someone cares and is willing to do work...I'm sure the same person did a bunch of storm cleanup and the tedious work is appreciated.
    Yes, that is likely the tree. It was a slippery birch at an angle that would have you talking funny if you didn't get it just right.

I'm not crazy about the chicken wire, but I've also had my bike slide out from under me on some of those bridges at the squash. They don't shed water very well and can be quite slick on a cold morning after a frost.

see me rollin, they hatin
    is there any chicken wire that's coated not to rust? i like the addition of the wire, especially on ramps. but it gets rusty and i wouldnt want to fall on it.

i hear mentions of polyurethane mixed with sand to create a rough surface. has anyone ever done that around here?
    fap

mtbr member
    Thanks for the leaf blowing efforts at Fort Rock - Newfields side!

beer thief
    Most of the North Conway area trails are in good shape. Some are blown, downed trees have mostly been removed.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Thank you to everyone who did their part in the cleanup efforts.
    My wife always says, "your trails are cleaner than our yard".....
    THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE BABY!!
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    stratham is pure bliss right now, thank you.

rog

the train keeps rollin
    took the chainsaw to hemlock 2 and 3 yesterday, logfree zone, ride on..
    beaver hunt