clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

staying in Colchester, Vermont...looking for some close gravel grinders

coming up to Vermont this week, and I'm looking for some gravel grinders to do. nothing epic...I'll be up for a reunion and to visit relatives. will have sometime to kill.

stopping by Old Spokes Home to get some input from them as well....shop was recommended by another I had called in Burlington area.

will be bringing my Cross bike.

mtbr member
    Not a huge amount of long dirt roads near Colchester...the only one I can think of is up Middle Rd, out to Austin House Rd, then you can loop south on East Rd (paved), bang an acute left onto Farnsworth Rd. (paved) for a couple of miles, then after going under the railroad bridge head towards the dirt roads of Westford (where I live).

Here's a link to a 34 mile route that tries to minimize paved routes, and is pretty scenic in the backroads department.

I started the route at Union Memorial School parking lot since that is pretty central, has parking, and is right next to Middle Rd.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4...&z=13&lci=bike

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks! I'll check it out. I don't mind there being some paved in there.

mtbr member
    There is the island line trail that runs up the bike path from colchester to south hero. Part gravel/part road. But, I don't know if they are doing the bike ferry this year. Local Motion, the non-profit who cares for the trail would know more.

mtbr member
    ^Good point. The ferry is open again, but it may have limited hours, so yeah, a call to Local Motion could confirm the times it's up and running.

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks guys!

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks for the route! I was only able to do part of it. Middle road was a blast! I was up there for a reunion, so had limited time to get out. Next time i go out I'd love to hook up with someone who knows the area. stayed in Jericho one night too. I've ridden the paved roads out there more but I'll be looking for some gravel there too

Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    Not a huge amount of long dirt roads near Colchester...the only one I can think of is up Middle Rd, out to Austin House Rd, then you can loop south on East Rd (paved), bang an acute left onto Farnsworth Rd. (paved) for a couple of miles, then after going under the railroad bridge head towards the dirt roads of Westford (where I live).

Here's a link to a 34 mile route that tries to minimize paved routes, and is pretty scenic in the backroads department.

I started the route at Union Memorial School parking lot since that is pretty central, has parking, and is right next to Middle Rd.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4...&z=13&lci=bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clo View Post
    thanks for the route! I was only able to do part of it. Middle road was a blast! I was up there for a reunion, so had limited time to get out. Next time i go out I'd love to hook up with someone who knows the area. stayed in Jericho one night too. I've ridden the paved roads out there more but I'll be looking for some gravel there too
    come back in september for the fall classic - you'll ride some dirt in colchester, but also in westford, cambridge, jeffersonville, underhill, ... and more.

Vermont 114k/200k ? Sept 29th 2013 | New England Randonneurs

mtbr member
    Any time! Glad you got out for a bit at least...hopefully the weather wasn't too stinkin' hot!

The Fall Classic definitely tours some great roads in our fair area.

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    think we brought the sun with us while we were there. But that's the funny thing about you Vermonters. You don't know what hot and humid is

My aunt told my wife and I: "it's really hot here..you'll be roughing it at our house because we don't have AC.".

all in all the weather was fine for us. little humid one day. but nothing compared to Md.

mtbr member
    Ha, I grew up in MD (outside of Westminster), and I visit my in-laws there a few times a year...but I have gotten spoiled here in VT, no AC at our house either, maybe only 2-3 nights a year where I might actually use it.

I rode Gambrill over Memorial Day and it was glorious weatherwise; the year before that I rode Patapsco, Emmitsburg, and Hashawha over Memorial Day weekend and it was so d@mn hot and humid, made even the smallest climbs a real grind. I must be getting weak