Thread: st Albans

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

st Albans

I will be in St Albans next week and would like to bring my Bike, Are their any good loop trails, or single track around that area?

thanks

"Covert" Heckler1
    Nov 2009
    As far as I know, not really. I've heard about something called Franklin Falls, but I don't know anything about it.

You'd be better off traveling 30 - 40 minutes south to the Fellowship of the Wheel networks. Killer riding of all types and levels abound. www.fotwheel.org Maybe check out Saxon Hill for a well defined, super fun and flowy (but short) loop.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the Help I have looked for a couple of weeks and couldnt come up with much, other than The rail to trail. I would hate going all the way up their and not taking atleast 1 day to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    St Albans isn't that far from the Catamount center, Waterbury, or Stowe. A little more time on I-89 and you can be at Millstone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check this: Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT
    Hardack is fun to ride for an shorter ride...not huge.

And this: NW VT riding? Vacation planning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Hard'ack is still a go.

to Firem2

Update: Hard'ack is still as accessible as it was in 2009 when Josh's threads/links were posted above.

There is no map and no club organized. A loose-knit but productive group of volunteers ride and maintain the trails.

It is still a friendly place- see a trail- ride it.

There is now a sign by the road so you'll know you are at the right place.

Explore is the word for this place. You won't get lost because you are bound by streets/residences on two sides, dead end woods near the communications tower and the interstate.

These are great trails to ride that are a bit technical. That said, you won't find trails "built" for mountain biking but they are still good fun.

Nearest built/maintained singletrack is Sunny Hollow Park in Colchester and is a Fellowship of the Wheel club -maintained bike area. Membership not required but encouraged. No other fees. Search these forums for info.

Hard'ack will keep you occupied and entertained for a while.

Enjoy your visit, report your experience and opinions.

NW_Vermont
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    nw_vermont

I will be right down the road from that hard'ack do you need a map to get around it or is it a loop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Umm, Loops can be made but I have no way of telling you any type of directions. No maps. I'd describe it as a spiderweb of trails.

It is essentially a small area, so jus' ride.

I wish I could help more, but you'll be fine.
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I looked at google maps, I can only assume its where google says it is, It also says something about aldis hill park. iis that the same place?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    'Zackly. Aldis Hill Park/ Aldis Hill Playground is (almost) synonymous with Hard'ack and I'll spare you the details.

So yes, in the Googly- speaking, it is the woods bounded by Congress Street, High Street and Interstate 89.

Any other questions about biking or the area? Business alone or visiting locals that can help you out with the other details?
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I Had a great time In north Vermont I only got to ride one day, spent it at hard'ack It was fun. Didn't get to explorer it much maybe next time up I will Spend more time up there, The trails were rocky and wet do to all the Rain the past week or so. great views from the top. wish I had a camera. I can only assume the trails are set up for Skiing or some cross country. but it was a good time none the less. thanks for all the info, and keep Riding