Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Spaulding Woods exit 20 NH!

Fresh dirt right in Tilton - exit 20 off I-93 N. They just started building here and more plans are in the works. Check it out when you're near Highlands as they also have more xc trails coming up!

Spaulding Youth Center in Northfield is planning to open their land near Exit 20 to public biking and hiking. To access the trails, park at the boat launch on shaker road, just West of the Holiday Inn Express on Rte 140. Walk in through a wire fence to the small field, enter an old road at the corner of the field. The property will be known as Spaulding Woods. It is OK to use the trails now, but please stay below the school buildings themselves. Plans are to improve/ expand the trails in the future, and to add a more inviting entrance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spaulding Woods exit 20 NH!-1240496_623911840992468_473499027_n.jpg  

08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks good and I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the trail building efforts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IDwoodchuck View Post
    Looks good and I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the trail building efforts.
    I kinda want to try this out just because you have a trail named Sharknado... love it. Only about an hour away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Rode it today--certainly virgin terrain...nice work and awesome potential.. a bit confusing at jcts. Ran into 3 guys from Piche's in Gilford who had already done everything..guided me for a fun 2 hours...great soils ...maybe plans for a Kingdom type experience...also 1 minute off exit 20, I-93... maybe a connect to Highlands. Holiday Inn Express is basically at the trailhead...Tilton Diner is 2 minutes....It needs tires, so get there....!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A few more notes on Spaulding Woods: the wire fence has a gate and a lock, there is a small path over a muddy/wet area just below the parking spaces, this will take you to the field. The parking is at the bottom of the hill, the fields and buildings are at the top--so climb up, come down. Squirrelagator is a fun downhill starting from loop trail; would be a steep climb in the opposite direction. These trails are so new and un-ridden that you have to keep your eyes alive for direction changes. Also saw a couple of trails flagged for the future. Right now it needs riders and some more clean-up. Going to be great riding!

mtbr member
    A nice trifecta ride could be Spaulding Woods, Highlands XC, Franklin Falls...all with a short 10 minute drive between them! An easy 5 + hours of classic, flowy New England hero dirt at your disposal.
    08 BMC Trailfox 02
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo 10
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    NHMtbiker...Fabulous-for the big one you throw in RamblinVewe, Ahern, and Page hill for 10 hours of Central NH Dirt.. Suggestions for Spaulding project: build a big parking lot at the field at the boat launch---right know 4 bike vehicles will p.o. the boaters. It will be popular if trails are added and buffed....damnation ( those who inhabit FFD).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Another ride here yesterday: "Get Here Soon" to see the birth of some great new riding-- Spaulding youth center has posted a new sign at the top of Loop near jct. with Joe's Cutoff that asks users to go no further, so some of the short trails at the top are no longer accessable. But discovered a new trail, River trail, that is not on the map- it is north of Yellow Dot towards the River. The section of Yellow Dot from the parking lot to above the big turn near the interstate should be labeled Weeks Road, as it is signed. There is another, unnamed trail that twists downhill from the haul road east and above Sharknado to Weeks rd. near the parking lot. saw 3 other flagged but not built/open yet trails. Also the section of Squirrelagator at the north between yellow dot and haul road is actually part of lower Yellow Dot. Things are happening fast here so map updates will be needed. *** Upper Yellow Dot from Loop is a great downhill, as is Squirrelagator from Loop ***

mtbr member
    Map updates will probably come in time...I'm not sure who at Spaulding supplied us with this data but they are probably more concentrated on trail work now than map work. If you'd like to ride everything there and then send your raw data to me, or another CNH NEMBA officer (PM me and I can get you contact info) we could look at working another one up.

We are hoping to get a trail day at Spaulding on the books soon.

Thanks for all the updates btw, I'm itching to get out there myself but trying to heal a nagging wrist issue.

mtbr member
    Trail Day scheduled for Sunday Oct 13th @ Spaulding Woods.

Meet up at the boat launch parking area on Shaker Rd. Registration from 8-9am work until maybe 2pm or so.

Full details here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Updated Map

Spaulding Woods exit 20 NH!-syc-map.jpg

Here is an updated map (the names next to the trail names are classrooms that will be helping with the trails ie. building benches, labeling trees and plants, etc). Stoked to see some buzz about these trails! The terrain certainly has a ton of potential. As far as the gated parking lot by the boat launch, Spaulding is trying to figure that out. There are some stipulations about allowing a parking lot there with the wetlands and such. It is a pain. They are trying to have it open for the trail building day on the 13th though. Also, along with the Highlands XC trails, there is also a nice network at Knowles Pond, on Knowles Pond Rd (about a 2 minute drive from Spaulding Woods). More land has just been purchased by for the Knowles Pond Conservation for more trail building. Great spot for a spin and a dip! Thanks everybody for talking up the Spaulding Woods and getting tires on it! Going to be a great new network! See you on the 13th!

mtbr member
    I had a blast here sat. afternoon. Thanks to all who build. Weeks rd. and river trail a nice easy warmup then Sharknado lots of fun as was smallish varmint. Haul rd. is the steep straight way to the top, and Squirrelagator a very cool downhill south to north. I'm guessing yellow dot would be the easier way up? Top of the hill is to the south, and haul rd. bombs straight down to the parking lot. Hope to get there Sunday the 13th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Questions for DRUNUTS: Regarding the closure sign for the top bit of trails-will this be permanent or is it just temporary; last week I saw a flagged trail going North from loop, maybe a few hundred feet West of Squirrelagator, I don't think it was Wormhole, what is that? I did see Wormhole, I think, on the descent of Yellow Dot, in the rock outcrop area- rode up it a ways as I followed the flags and missed the left on Yellow Dot; there was a flagged trail to the east of River Trail toward the parking lot, is this an extension of River or something else? The work for the 13th. from the CNHNEMBA guys says you will be roughing out Swamp Donkey, where would that be on the map? Lastly, is there a map, sketch of the Knowles Pond Trails? or at least where is the trailhead? Thanks for the fabulous work you are doing, I am a member of CNHNEMBA and a trail adopter at Franklin Falls, but alas have to work on the 13th.. I would be interested in helping out at some other time. Are you associated with Spaulding?-- I looked at the website and saw Steve Golden, I live in Thornton and worked with him at the Waterville Valley Nordic Center a few years back. You have great potential, are doing nice work, and it will become as popular as Franklin in time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Damnation,

Yes I do work for Spaulding and I know Steve. He is actually one of the guys spearheading this project. His partner in crime, Jason Sterner is the other outdoor educator up there and is doing a lot of the work up there as well. I am not sure what that flagged trail was that you saw. It may be a new trail in the works, or it could have been the old squirrelagator. I am unsure about the signs. I havenít been out there since they have been put up. I donít know where they put them. It sounds like it is making it hard to reach all the trails up top. I know that for this Sunday, there are plans to make sure everything is going to be linked up so that it is easy to make some sort of loop out of it. The Swamp Donkey trail will be over between yellow dot and the highway. There is a lot of potential over there! I am sure that we will have more trail days next season. I am looking forward to what comes of the land!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

This Place Has A Future !

Well, after watching the reviews pile up I finally got there, I'll try to keep this short and informative.
    The Map: What I have in my map is what I rode today. If you compare it with the other peoples maps, you'll see that I rode around the fence, into the field, out the field, onto haul rd, through sharknado, onto Yellow Dot, into Wormhole, which connects with loop, and onto Joes Cutoff, which connects with lower loop trail, and onto Squirrelagator, back onto Yellow Dot, down Haul Rd, and onto Smallish Varmit. You can see that I lapped some trails twice.

Here's a run down...

Haul Rd: Ride parts of it, to connect to other trails, or if you want to climb straight up towards the top of the mtn.

Yellow Dot: This trail is the best ride to get you to the top, it would be an excellent downhill as well, but other trails are more directly downhill, the top section, past wormhole is hard to find, in fact both laps climbing, I ended up on wormhole.

Loop: Gets you to Joes Cutoff, and to Squirrelagator

Squirrelagator: Get it ! Get it Twice ! ! 5-10min.

Joes Cutoff: Get it ! Get it Twice ! ! 3-6min.

Smallish Varmit: Get it ! Get it Twice ! 2-5min.

Yellow Dot: Climbed it. 10-20min.

Sharknado: This is the only trail I would say can/should be ridden in either direction, but I say use the second entrance off Haul Rd. and its easy to lap, tires=more flow for this one!! 8-12min.

All trails need tires and come middle of next year, the flow will be unreal! As for now, the leaves have strarted to fall and some spots are hard to read, easier on the second lap.

I lapped the trails twice, as you can see and all that you see was just over an hour of riding. I reccomend riding it in the direction that I did, lots of fun to link Joes>Loop>Squirrelagator>Yellow>Haul>Smallish. Good place to link with Franklin.
    Sorry for the long review ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spaulding Woods exit 20 NH!-img_9528.jpg  

Last edited by MTBMANCHVEGAS; 10-08-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: change pic

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I lied. Swamp Donkey is going to be between Squirreligator and Yellow Dot. Spaulding has also purchased lumber for some bridges on Squirreligator.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Knowles

Here is a trail map of Knowles pond. I usually park at the dirt parking lot on Rand Rd, head into the woods there, take the first left and ride in a clockwise loop. Spaulding Woods exit 20 NH!-knowles-pond.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I know nothing about this place, what is it like ? and what trails are a must hit ??

Thanks for the map !

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Swamp Donkey I saw it today, in it's rightful place...to the west on Loop from Squirrelagator, assume it is downhill to Loop, love the Squirell. And yellow dot downhill will be a classic when ridden in, buzz word--there still has been less then 20 people on here....Removed a lot of branches from squall line winds 2 days ago.. Today: Parking lot/field to Week's rd.. to right on Model to right on River to right on Weeks Rd. to right on Lower Yellow Dot to right on haul rd. to Right on upper Yellow Dot..up, up to Loop, right on loop, over 2 old boardwalks to left on Joe's Cutoff right on Loop to left on Squirrelagator to right on Yellow Dot to right on Haul Rd. to Loop to Yellow Dot, to big downhill back to Haul Rd., left past Lower Yellow Dot, to left on Sharknadow, to right on Haul Rd. to left on Tiny Varmint to Right on Weeks Rd. to Parking lot...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the Knowles Pond map--will give it a try the next time to Spaulding. Sorry for another question, but would you call it rocky and rooty, smooth, or a mix? Assuming they were built for walking/hiking and not necessarily for mt. biking. Last Sunday, parked at the boat launch, we noticed several cars with bikes heading up Shaker Road-- after looking at MapQuest I can see they were taking a back route to Highlands without going through Tilton. Guessing it is about 2 miles to Knowles and 4 to Highlands from the boat launch. Thanks, Damnation

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

This was a reply to mtbmanchvegas

Third time to Spaulding and have now got a handle on trail locations. The updated map from Drunuts is right on, the only omission is Model trail which is newly opened and signed-- it goes right off Weeks Rd., just past Haul Rd., and connects to River Trail. Take a right on River and come back out on Weeks Rd. in a small clearing. If you go right on Weeks you will climb a little bit to Lower Yellow Dot leaving to the right. L. Yellow Dot will take you to Haul Rd. just above the upper ends of Sharknado and Smallish Varmint. This route gives a nice loop or two before heading up to the top ( or to finish up the ride) . The best/most fun route to the top is Upper Yellow Dot--two steepish climbs, a couple rock gardens, but not too bad. Where you went wrong , and ended up on Wormhole, is at the notch in the ledgey area-- Yellow Dot makes a sharp right at this notch, a sharp left is Wormhole coming down from Loop Trail--Wormhole is flagged with little wire flags in the ground and looks like the way to go. Follow Drunuts map! The only thing missing besides Model is Swamp Donkey, which goes off Loop to the West of Squirrelagator and goes downhill to Upper Yellow Dot, I am guessing. I understand that Swamp Donkey will be worked on Sunday during the trail day there. So, it should be open for more downhill fun after Sunday!! Happy Riding...Damnation

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah I was getting confused there, I ended up heading up wormhole (precisely at the rock garden ) and couldnt seem to find that right turn.... huh.... What about the stuff at the top? Any word on that opening again ? or will it remain technically 'OB' ?? I liked wormhole cause it made the climb a little shorter and more direct. Is trail day sunday ? I thought it was saturday. Anyway, loving these loops available in here, its fun stuff. I removed a lot of debris n stuff the other day when I was up there, I cant wait to go again, Joes and Squirrel have some great lines. What is the donkey like ? worth skipping squirrel for it ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    the only thing I did dif then you was ride Sharknado on the way up, and that way I was basically flowing all the way down, Joes, Squirrel, Varmit. Awesome stuff! And its impossible to pop out of Varmit and not scoot back up and do it again !

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The trail day is Sunday--see earlier post on this thread from The Slav --looks like he has something to do with Swamp Donkey. I have not walked nor ridden Swamp D--I have seen the flagging at the top where it leaves loop but it is totally raw, not worked on. Do not know where it ends but assume somewhere along Upper Yellow Dot. Given the great layout of the existing trails and the expertise of the CNHNEMBA guys on Sunday, I bet it will be just as fun as Squirelagator and Yellow Dot for a downhill. I do not know about the closure signs at the top, my guess is that it may remained closed as it is used for skills classes by the kids at the School. I did ride up there before the signs went up--Porcupine, Sidewinder,and Loop (just a road); never found Angry Birds. Do not think anyone is missing much as they are really short, a couple minutes each. I suspect the builders have much more interesting stuff on the planning table.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Trail day went well. We had 18 people show up and totally roughed in Swamp Donkey, hauled lumber to build a bridge, added a couple berms, and built up a natural double. Smallish Varmint also got revamped with 5 micro berms and some rock armoring. Most of the other trails were leaf blown as well. It sounds like the signs are going to stay, but like damnation said, they are pretty short anyways. We had a fun little ride that hit a lot of the fun stuff. We climbed Haul Rd to the loop trail to yellow dot (top section is fun!) up Worm Hole back to the Loop trail. From the loop trail you can hit either Swamp Donkey or Squirreligator. Whichever one you don't hit, climb Haul Rd to the Loop Trail and ride down the one you missed. Then ride Sharknado if you want, or go right for Smallish Varmint! Theses trails need your tires so get out there soon!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast