Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spaulding Woods exit 20 NH!

20K views 95 replies 17 participants last post by  TheSlav 
#1 ·
Fresh dirt right in Tilton - exit 20 off I-93 N. They just started building here and more plans are in the works. Check it out when you're near Highlands as they also have more xc trails coming up!

Spaulding Youth Center in Northfield is planning to open their land near Exit 20 to public biking and hiking. To access the trails, park at the boat launch on shaker road, just West of the Holiday Inn Express on Rte 140. Walk in through a wire fence to the small field, enter an old road at the corner of the field. The property will be known as Spaulding Woods. It is OK to use the trails now, but please stay below the school buildings themselves. Plans are to improve/ expand the trails in the future, and to add a more inviting entrance. :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
Right now Pat's Outback is the preferred route to connect to Knowles/Highlands. Pat's outback ends up coming out on a double track that keeps you clear of Spaulding's campus. We are hoping that eventually there will be some sort of single track to connect everything, but we would need some private land owner's participation. I also know that there is a snowmobile trail in the area that we may be able to tap into. This could turn into a great MTB destination!

#56 ·
That would be pretty awesome to connect them! I live in Canterbury (at school in NY right now) and when I'm home this summer I'm thinking about doing an epic by doing fire roads to highland and then to continue on to Spaulding.

#57 ·
Updated conditions: Spaulding Woods just posted on there website spauldingwoods.org that some trails are open and riding good, mostly a few in the bottom area near the parking lot- weeks road, model-t, river, lower yellowdot, sharknado, smallish varmint. All trails above are CLOSED: that is everything above the lower yellow dot/lower haul road junction ( at the top of smallish varmint). Refer to latest map earlier on this thread or on their website. This is a new riding location and does not need the mud ruts, so wait for them to give the go.

#59 ·
I was there today--still a few wet spots, pretty clean and with some traffic will only get better. Flagging looks like Wheels on the Bus will go lower and hit Haul at Upper Yellow Dot-continuing on for a long downhill with Smallish Varmint. Sharknado is getting faster... picked up - lower trails are very good... both directions.. D

#62 ·
Hey drunuts can you speak to the condition and expected use of Pat's Outback?

I know it was one of the last to be ready to ride in the Spring and with its location on the map I'm wondering if the School had intended that to be used for their purposes only? I know many of the other trails up top are that way so I wanted to make sure. I'm planning on trying to link FFD, Highland and Spaulding in that order and it seems like coming from that direction Pat's would be perfect to access the trail system but I don't want to step on any toes if its for school use only.

Thanks!

#65 ·
Update today: Rode Spaulding Woods this morning; at the end of the ride in the parking lot met one of the builders of the trails. He said Pat's Outback is open and freshly trimmed. The Slav may already know this if he did the Franklin-Highlands-Spaulding ride this weekend. Top of Pat's O makes a dirt road connection to Highlands, just 3? miles away, and 10 miles of Nemba built free XC trails. Spaulding is getting some wheels and it is getting faster and smoother. Climbing yes, but good "bang for the buck". Less then 5 minutes off the Interstate and restaraunts and lakes nearby, and lodging at the Trailhead.

#66 ·
Need to get this spot back on the radar....one year ago 8000 plus views.. getting some riding and is riding faster...the beauty--5 mins. off I-93, easy to get 2 hours of lots of fun.. - real beginner to fast intermediate, and the elite can rip as fast as??? Only 2+ miles from highlands free xc trails.. 50-60 miles of other singletrack within 15-20 miles..

#67 ·
Speak of the devil, I just did that linked ride again a few weeks ago except this time I rode from my house to FFD to Highland to Spaulding and back home for about 56mi total. 50% singletrack the rest a mix of gravel, class VI and pavement.

Spaulding certainly burned real hot from the get go but haven't heard much from that camp this year. They had coordinated with CNH NEMBA for a trail day last year but that didn't happen this year...maybe some employee turnover there? not sure.

I have been considering adding it into our CNH Thurs ride rotation but I'm not sure where to send people to park. I'm weary sending possibly 5-10 cars depending on head count to the boat ramp parking (don't want to offend that user group) and I'm not sure if the school would be ok with us parking up there, I had assumed not based on them wanting the public to stay off the trails up that way.

#68 ·
I talked to one of the guys involved... the school is busted on funding and impetus.. It is a unique property with great potential... CNHNEMBA should step up and adopt and expand..great resource for the area. A new trail or 2 each year ..sustainable climbs...connect to Highlands. Don't hesitate to send cars to the boat ramp,, no one cares from the looks of the trash.

#69 ·
The Slav....Things have come to a halt here this and last year; I think they had a grant for the school to expand trails, and it ended . They still are considering their own parking lot in the field .The 2 instigators of the mtb trails are both from Thornton, as am I, but they, the school, have many goals beyond mountain biking. Never the less, the trails are good and unique, the potential is impressive, the location, along with Franklin, Highlands, et al are 10 minutes off I-93. I think the Spaulding lower trails are the best real beginner single track I have seen; then climb yellow Dot, , do it downhill, go up wormhole, up Joe's Cutoff...turn around, imbibe, and hit Joe's to Swamp Donkey Disco.to Yellow Dot to Smallish Varmint...Somehow CNHNEMBA should talk to Spaulding about adopting their trails. It is beautiful terrain...they have upper fields suitable for an "Ascutney" mile long rip...

#70 ·
We have a "problem" (albeit a great problem to have) in CNH of too much land and trail building opportunities and not enough manpower to build, sustain and maintain everything. So we have to be a bit choosy. Before we fully commit to stewardship of a location we typically like to have a 'trail boss' ready to take the reigns and manage the location and drive / coordinate our presence there.

Interested?

#71 ·
We have a "problem" (albeit a great problem to have) in CNH of too much land and trail building opportunities and not enough manpower to build, sustain and maintain everything. So we have to be a bit choosy. Before we fully commit to stewardship of a location we typically like to have a 'trail boss' ready to take the reigns and manage the location and drive / coordinate our presence there.
I am interested, but first will talk to Steve from Thornton, to see if they want any outside input. Maybe at least a one day trail day? I'm not sure if you know me , but I take care of a couple of trails at FFD.. Sniper and Old Bench. Steve works at PSU as an outdoor instructor/guide. One new trail a year, maintenance, connect to Highlands....thank you for the interest.. the place still needs tires. What do you think of the Highlands xc trails that Nemba is building. [ /QUOTE]

#73 ·
Rog... I have not done Highlands XC in a couple years. They have built 2 more trails since then. What I rode fits your description. Climb up, singletrack down. But it could be a st loop depending on what you can climb. It is, IMO, terrible terrain to build trails in, but they did. And that may be an attraction. They have now connected these trails to the top of the chairlft. My suggestion...get to Ramblinvewefarm and Page Hill soon ..you might just like them like good old Mt.A

#74 ·
Great info thank you, would love to check out those areas sooner than later.

A coupla of us are doing a 25 mile loop at bear brook in the am starting at 8 from south road. Steady pace, but one in which you can hold a bit of a conversation.:)

Stoked to check out some of snh nemba's improvements/alterations.

If anyone else is interested in joining........

#75 ·
Rog... no doubt a great ride at BB. Just an update on Ramblinvewe Farm: I just looked at the trail map on their website, ramblinvewefarm.org...their are 5 new trails that are not on the map on the CNHNEMBA site. With names of "floss" and "root canal", and knowing the terrain, they have really expanded this system. Lots of up and down and around, with plenty of rock features. Plenty of opportunities for longish loops. Building here has been spearheaded by Eric at Chainline Cycles in Laconia. Getting to be a serious ride spot at the farm.

#76 ·
Actually Eric hasn't done too much of the latest building, that has been another small group of locals but definitely some great stuff going on there. I'm hoping the Farm will update their map soon so we can update ours. New stuff is going in so fast though they are probably just waiting until the building slows down a bit haha.

We are spoiled in Central NH!

#77 ·
Thanks for the update..whoever is building is doing a lot. The farm trail map shows 5 trails new to me, or at least new on a map. Some South of the Farm boundary. More on Ramblinvewe in the "Another CNH ride spot" or some such. That is my attempt to get a little notice of more Central NH ride spots. On this thread I would really like to generate renewed interest in Spaulding Woods..even towards some sort of stewardship. Or at the least a trail day every year.

#78 ·
back to Spaulding Woods...
try it and look at the potential...it needs to be maintained and expanded...ride it and decide...Just to stretch your legs after 2 hours from Mass...then stay, and hit Ramblinvewe for new old school...lots of rock features. Old ski area,, new trails recently built...Keep it up...whoever you ah.

#79 ·
I know Eric and that he likes to keep things on the down low. Been a few years also since I rode Ramblinview and it was great then. My guess is and sounds like some of his crew are digging to the south closer to route 11. I can check in with Drew from Spaulding and see what's up with the Woods and plans there. Have yet to even ride it but sounds like it needs more tires for sure!

#80 ·
NH Mtbiker... You were the first to shout out about Spaulding Woods.. surprised you have not actually ridden there. Steve and Jason run the outdoor program for Spaulding, and were the instigators for this trail system. Saw Steve a month ago and he was not optimistic about future work except for minor maintenance, and maybe turning the little field at the bottom into parking. "the slav" from CNHNEMBA indicates that they would be interested in adopting the system if there was a "trail boss" to coordinate efforts. I would be interested and plan on talking to Steve to see if they might want CNH to have a presence. You mention Drew up there, is he the "drunuts" who was the contact in a lot of the early info about this spot. Have not heard from him in over a year. Any help or positives toward maintaining/expanding this little gem would be appreciated. Maybe at least get a trail day together for this fall to tidy up a few spots and add a new trail? Where do you live?

#81 ·
Yeah man, I live in Dover NH and until a few years ago, had more chances to ride in the Lakes Region....actually closer to 2000-05 is when I would regularly ride with Eric from Chainline and was shown some hidden gems in the Gilford area. I am originally from Franklin, NH and have ridden everything out that way except for Spaulding and Page Hill. But I have been riding all over the seacoast now and BB a few times, plus the Dover area year-round on my fat bike. Have plans with Drew (he used to work at Spaulding) and few other guys to ride this fall in Vermont, but still need to re-visit these home-town trails....really miss ridin out that way!

#82 ·
NH Mtbiker... The thread Spaulding Woods has just topped 10,000 views...I would be surprised if 200 sets of wheels have been on this stuff...5 minutes off 93, hotel at the entrance...6 other great ride spots within 20 minutes. It's my favorite spot to ride, the downhills exceed the effort.. and surprise, great beginner single track at the drier bottom trails with even an entry level bermed trail...Smallish Varmint.. Climb up and do Yellow Dot down to Wormhole, up to Loop, right to Yellow Dot down Joe's Cutoff , Bank a right on Loop and shortly a left on Swamp Donkey Disco for downhill Disco. Repeat as needed...

#83 ·
Thanks damnation! I just put "the Woods" on the top of my must ride spots before the summer ends. I will pm you and let's get a ride in there soon...maybe you can show me why it's your #1 place and will hit up FFD, Highland, Page Hill, Ahern, Ramblinview. All of em in one day will bring BIG smiles! ;)

#84 ·
Good to see the enthusiasm. Would be glad to do Spaulding Woods with you. I have an unusual work schedule so if you are a Monday-Friday work guy then I can only ride on Sundays. Right now I have Mon., Tue., Fri., and Sun. off. That will probably change after the Labor Day weekend. Here is the hitch: I am 68 years old...so standard rides for me are of the 2 to 3 hr. or so duration. I climb pretty well and am pretty good on the downs, but I do hike a bike as needed, especially up, so to reserve strength for the downhills. Learned to MTB in the Colorado Mountains 20 years ago. We could get in a solid 2 hours at Spaulding; and I could then manage a round of everything at Franklin which is only 15 minutes or so away. Have only done the Highlands xc once 2 years ago...was climb up/come down.. very rocky terrain.. not a favorite, but willing to give it another shot. Ahern I have been to once.. got caught in a huge Thunderstorm and only saw 1/2 the trails. Ramblinvewe I have done about 6 or 7 times, great location and on the tech/rocky side.. with the new trails, most of which are new to me, count on 3-4 hours. Page Hill is remote with a bigger mt. feel and could eat up almost 3-4 hours to do everything with a couple of laps on Shock Therapy. These are my time estimates, and younger riders would surely reduce these times. I think it would be a huge challenge, and worthy of an "Event" in itself to do all these in One Day. Just the driving would eat up nearly 2 hours! Somewhere around 60 miles of mostly singletrack with some double track connectors! Shout out to the first to accomplish this. I'm riding Franklin this Sunday with friends, so the following Sunday would be good for Spaulding.

#85 ·
Spaulding Woods.. if ever there was a "private" spot...this is it.. have been there 15-20 times since it opened Fall of 2013... have seen less then a dozen riders...rode there yesterday, by myself, of course. Dry and riding great. It is getting tires.. and it is getting defined and faster! 3to 5 minutes of I-93. Not saying no moah...find it yourself.. clues obvious in this thread. Hint...South of the Whites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.