mtbr member

Southern NH trails with a swimming location - Xterra reltated

I am looking to put on an Xterra triathlon next year and I am looking for as many locations to work with as possible. I know Bear Brook and Clough State park are my two top choices, but what else is there? Any non-state owned locations? Has anyone every mtn biked at Camp Carpenter or Hidden Valley Scout reservation, there is a race in NJ that uses a Scout camp for their race. I have no clue if there are trails worth riding on at those two locations. A clean, calm pond/lake with good trails is tougher to find than one would think. Give me some suggestions.

mtbr member
    Well I have it down to three locations now. Clough, Bear Brook, and Pawtuckaway. The family went to P-tuck on Sunday to swim and BBQ and I see that a good swim and easy access to a transition area are possible. What I do not know is the trail network from the beach. Anyone want to show me that?

I have park manager contact information and also for a couple other higher ups at the Bureau of Parks that should help get this rolling.

The old 4H camp at Bear Brook has not been used in 3 years and I know plenty of loop options from there for both the run and bike legs.

mtbr member
    I don't know the trails at Pawtuckaway well enough to be a tour guide or I'd offer. I've ridden there a few times and go there with the family regularly as we are close by in Exeter. I do know that some of the best singletrack is very close to the beach.

I'm sure someone will be willing to show you around. Maybe start a separate thread requesting a tour guide in case some are not clicking on this thread.

Another idea is to talk to the folks at Acidotic Racing as they host trail running races at both BB and Pawtuckaway. You probably already know this.

Once again, hope things work out. I will become an Xterra evangelist to get my crew out to do this race as I know they'd like it and I'd like to see you do well with it. They are all exceptional mountain bikers and some even like to run but most will claim they can't swim!

mtbr member
    To update this forum along with information over on the Slowtwitch forum I am looking at taking over the Stoaked race promotion in Hanover. If it is possible I am still working on a Southern NH event as well. So, if all the stars align and the best possible scenario takes place we could have two Xterra races in NH next year.

mtbr member
    Pawtuckway there a good 12 mile loop that you can get to from the lake. I would say about 8 miles of that would be single track and there a good amount of climbing. The double track is when your climbing up and around the fire tower. Waranocko I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly and the new connector trail is awesome.