Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Snow!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    looks like just a dusting today, at least from where i sit outside my window. damned cold though, and dropping. should be able to ride sunny hollow on studs. the big stuff all melted away - but i haven't been there since late fall.
    Sweet. I just got home from a little 15 minutes commute and yes it's cold at -15C and heavy wind here. As long as it's rideable without sinking in snow or walking most of it, I'll check the weather and try to give it a go.

Is this rig will do the job ? 3/16" long studs, 216 in front and 140 in rear

Snow!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358470741.306866.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Hi Chris, how are the conditions looking up there? Thinking about a ride Saturday a.m. possibly.

We got about 3" powder overnight at Millstone, it rode great this morning.
    Hey Barb,
    Just got back from a night ride about an hour ago. Six of us were out there and the trails are riding fast. There is good coverage, it's tacky, and trails are well tracked. You can ride just about anything. Herbs, Beat Bog, Riverwood, East Branch, Connector, Magill and Pines make for a nice 2 hour ride (With some doubling up) at a pretty good clip.

Based on the forecast, Saturday morning should be beautiful, with a bit of fresh powder dusting some nice hard-packed trails.

Hope to see you out there.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The BHS woods and Ethan Allen Park in BTV were solid yesterday afternoon. Good to go with studs. My guess is Sunny Hollow is good but haven't been over there.

Huckin' trails
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to haul the bike down, we were too tight in the schedule to drop me there and pick me up later. Sad coz it was beautiful outside Friday.

I should move to VT at some point haha
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Hey Barb,
    Just got back from a night ride about an hour ago. Six of us were out there and the trails are riding fast. There is good coverage, it's tacky, and trails are well tracked. You can ride just about anything. Herbs, Beat Bog, Riverwood, East Branch, Connector, Magill and Pines make for a nice 2 hour ride (With some doubling up) at a pretty good clip.

Based on the forecast, Saturday morning should be beautiful, with a bit of fresh powder dusting some nice hard-packed trails.

Thanks, Chris. I didn't end up there until today, and it was Fantastic! Crazy traction except for a few icy corners on BeatBog to keep you honest, and even those were fun. On the way back to the car I stayed on East Branch a little too far west and got a bit tuckered coming out at the top of Rim, and bypassed Connector, but hit all the rest of the packed trails. Saw a couple fatbikers heading up Heaven's Bench but didn't cross paths. Then picked up my year round pass at Dashney - so Worth It even though I only got over a few times summer & winter. Anyone within a reasonable drive should check out the snowy KT singletrack. Now!

I managed a self timer shot, but 10 secs in pretty skimpy to sprint to the bike, hop on, and smile!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow!-p1010006-800x600-.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^ Great timer shot. I'm not sure that I could have timed it better.
    I wish I could have been out there today too. Conditions must have been great. The single track has really come into it this year, with more and more traffic keeping things packed out. A couple of our locals are riding 5-6 times a week at this point, with several others doing weekends and the occasional night ride. We've gotten to the point where we have enough riders to keep our 7 mile loop well packed without making the task of packing too onerous, as it was when there were only a couple of us out there. Tim from KTA has also been snomo packing the wider stuff whenever he gets the chance, keeping the doubletrack and some of the more open terrain fast tracking.
    It sounds like the two guys you saw were breaking some new ground up on Heaven's Bench. I imagine they probably rode Ridge too. THAT trail is a blast once it's packed.
    Come on down folks! If you don't have a fatbike yet, Village Sport Shop and East Burke Sports are renting them. More riders on the trails inevitably means more miles of ridable terrain.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Conditions have been great at KTA. Had a posse of seven out this afternoon. Trails are hard and pretty wide with all of the traffic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359329569.771513.jpg  

Snow!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359329717.577907.jpg  

-Chris

Pedal Power to the People
    Man it looks nice up there at KTA! Can't wait for this year's WinterBike!

mtbr member

Snow!

Conditions are once again settling in at KTA. While the trails haven't seen much traffic since the last winter storm, I was nonetheless able to ride 90%+ of Darling Hill this morning. The snow is dense, snowman snow, and immediately set up firm as soon as my rear tire weighted it. All of the usual east side stuff is rideable. It should get more so with tonight's cold temps and a bit more traffic.
    Snow!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361822999.322022.jpg
    -Chris

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    I went out on KT last night after work and it was surprisingly good considering we had a couple of inches of new wet snow. Everything I attempted was rideable. Do you know if there are there any fat bike group rides going on? I've only been riding solo.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Conditions are once again settling in at KTA. While the trails haven't seen much traffic since the last winter storm, I was nonetheless able to ride 90%+ of Darling Hill this morning. The snow is dense, snowman snow, and immediately set up firm as soon as my rear tire weighted it. All of the usual east side stuff is rideable. It should get more so with tonight's cold temps and a bit more traffic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361822999.322022.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	775383

mtbr member
    Yes, conditions are getting better and better. I went out yesterday morning and enjoyed some hard pack riding, then went to Burke for an afternoon at the J-bar with my 3yo son- a perfect February day! The new snow was pretty dense, and not too deep, so I figured it would easily integrate into the existing base. Glad you packed it in!
    There are a number of us who ride together on occasion. Nothing official- no weekly group ride or anything, though we try to hook up on the weekends when conditions permit. I'll pm you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant-Eater View Post
    I went out on KT last night after work and it was surprisingly good considering we had a couple of inches of new wet snow. Everything I attempted was rideable. Do you know if there are there any fat bike group rides going on? I've only been riding solo.
    -Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2