the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    how bout parallel on xc gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBmDPiaNu4

or, on the bigger gear deep in my old back yard....the wasatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89G7SLbRkE

rog

Nice Rog. I've sampled some might fine Wasatch myself

I have some skiis for tromping around the local hills, went with the Guides. I can't tele turn, but maybe by the end of the winter.
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Nice Rog. I've sampled some might fine Wasatch myself

I have some skiis for tromping around the local hills, went with the Guides. I can't tele turn, but maybe by the end of the winter.
    You would need to actually buy boots for said skis.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    You would need to actually buy boots for said skis.
    Sending you a cyber b-itch slap
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Sending you a cyber b-itch slap
    too funny.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    72.4% of the posts in this particular forum defer to Kingdom Trails.

Soooo, Allow me to ask...

Do any of you ski or 'shoe on KT's trails? If I were to ever do that, I would enjoy seeing the same woods and fields in a way so different than than the riding months.

NW
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not to dis Kingdom Trails... They rule it as a destination for biking, I ski out the backdoor all the time. If I am going to drive to ski, it will be Cardigan, Moosalauki (sp), Wildcat Valley, places that are epic from the get go. I scare myself plenty without the drive! Jasbo

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is the Alpina BC 1575 too much boot for my intended purpose? I'm thinking mostly skiing MB trails but also as a xc set up as well. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm trying to do my homework before I drop any $. Switchback bindings? 10th mountain or Guides?

Masher
    Aug 2007
    That boot would be right for the 10th mountain, which is a narrower foam core ski. It may not be enough boot for the Guides!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thats plenty of boot and probably overkill on the bindings for the 10th mt.

i was eyeing the hardwire or the 3pin cable for my 10th mt setup...
    currently running a rotteffla 3 pin super telemark on my karhu pavos with karhu bc leather boots. not the quickest turning skis / setup - but my technique could use vast improvement.

(note, I'm no ski / tele expert... a few days a year, at best)

mtbr member

Millstone MTB trails in Barre grooms for skiing too

I haven't tried it yet in winter, but I bet the Millstone trails are fun to ski on. http://millstonetrails.com/ Looks like they have some rentals too. Perhaps a good option when the backyard trails get too deep to be fun or the VAST trails are too icy. Be nice to support the MTB folks in the long winter too.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat & Hairy
    Is the Alpina BC 1575 too much boot for my intended purpose? I'm thinking mostly skiing MB trails but also as a xc set up as well. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm trying to do my homework before I drop any $. Switchback bindings? 10th mountain or Guides?
    I have these with the 10th mtn excellent for xc and light BC
    http://www.rei.com/product/743063
    screaming deal
    the 1575 arnt so good for xc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I have these with the 10th mtn excellent for xc and light BC
    http://www.rei.com/product/743063
    screaming deal
    the 1575 arnt so good for xc

i didn't like the NNN BC for trying to turn...

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike
    i didn't like the NNN BC for trying to turn...

That's b/c you can't turn with them lol... Or at least I can't!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    That's b/c you can't turn with them lol... Or at least I can't!
    good. its not just me!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    I know the trails in Montgomery are used for snowshoes (flatter area - Outback) and for BC-skiing (Oberland - Race Course).

So i guess these trails are suited for skiing... depends on who rides/walk on what!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry me again. I saw a pair of older Fischer Outabounds for sale pretty cheap. Are they comprable to the 10th mountain or Guides?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat & Hairy
    Sorry me again. I saw a pair of older Fischer Outabounds for sale pretty cheap. Are they comprable to the 10th mountain or Guides?
    I've skied all three. Outabounds have more camber than the 10ths or Guides. I think they were also narrower at the waist. I found that they were good for general touring around, not so good for turns. Guides are fat, not so good for touring, much, much better for turns (although they are sketchy on ice and hard pack). The 10ths tour well and turn well. If the Outabounds are real cheap and you just want to tool around on rolling terrain, go for it. If you want a great long distance back country ski that goes up as well as down, go for the 10ths. If you only go up for the turns on the way down, go for the Guides (mount up some Switchbacks).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Woozle,

Thanks a lot you helped make up my mind. I was trying to be frugal but I want the right tool for the job. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 10ths.

By the way if anybody is willing to teach me how to use this stuff I'd appreciate it. I don't have a clue.
    Last edited by Fat & Hairy; 01-22-2010 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good choice. I put Voile three pins on them. If you mount the heel riser in the right place, you can click the wires behind the heel riser when touring and then easily snap onto your boots for steeper turning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Update...

Sorry to bump the 2 Banshee Rider vids off the top of the forum. They're pretty sweet

Anyhow I hope I didn't F up, but I now own some Karhu Guides w/3 pin cable bindings and a pair of Rossignol BC X11's. Also a friend gave me a pair of older Scarpa T2's. I kind of
    feel like the kid with the new F/S who hasn't been off the rail trail.

On a side note I got a membership for the Catamount Trail
    http://www.catamounttrail.org/
    I just mention this to say the coupon book that came with the membership has paid for joining many times over. It includes many ski/mountain bike/gear shop etc. coupons.
    It has definitely saved me some cash.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yo F& H, I hope you didn't miss the snow! We have been skiing crazy tree shots for a couple of weeks now. Last weekend we were back on our bikes on snow mobile trails, waiting for the snow to freshen up. Sounds like a nice set up. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How do those BC x11's work out? I have a few NNN set ups but wanted to pick up a heavier set up and someone gave me the BC x's and Violle CRB hardwires now I just need a ski..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi Beungood,

Well, first of all I'm a pretty bad skier so the bc11's with the Guides might be a fine combo for somebody with more ability, but I think I could use a little more boot. I've been having fun with the set up but I'm thinking about maybe picking up some Excursions. The question is do I sell the BC11's and put the money towards boots or keep and add another pair of skis

By the way the CTA has a pair of 2011 Guides for sale $175

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat & Hairy View Post
    Hi Beungood,

Well, first of all I'm a pretty bad skier so the bc11's with the Guides might be a fine combo for somebody with more ability, but I think I could use a little more boot. I've been having fun with the set up but I'm thinking about maybe picking up some Excursions. The question is do I sell the BC11's and put the money towards boots or keep and add another pair of skis

By the way the CTA has a pair of 2011 Guides for sale $175
    Been kicking it all winter on my Atomic Sierras and Rossignol Bc x6' after I borke my Fishers in the backcountry. Didnt find a deal on heavier skis til last week. Won a Pair of Alpina Lite Terrains for $8.26 on ebay with free shipping. Still have the BC x-11's and picked up a snug pair of Scarpa T-3's. might be too small on me.A friend has Karhu Descents for $60 im thinking of trying out.. Oh well next year now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2