Thread: Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Singlespeed

I am in the process of converting my old 26" mountain bike into a singlespeed. I was wondering what gear ratio people are running? I ride mostly Stratham Hill and Fort Rock in coastal NH.

Also I am looking to replace my worn out Rock Shox Judy with a rigid steel fork. The problem is my frame accepts a 1 inch steerer tube and is setup for threadless. I am having a hard time finding one. If anyone has one and is willing to sell, please contact me. I only need about 7 inches of steerer tube length.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am running a 32/20 ratio. it is great for hard climbs and technical terrain but on the flats i spin out at 15-16 mph. but I am not riding to win trophies. just to have a good time. If you are doing flatter stuff you could easily drop to a 19 or 18 cog.

That being said I am running a 29er so it rolls a little easier then the 26ers.

If you search hard enough online I bet you will come up with a fork. try ebay or craigslist. your LBS might even be able to help you out in that department since they may have more resources... just make sure you get one that has the right type of brake mounts... IE disc of V's. You may also want to post in the SS forum. many of the folks in there have built out older bikes and may have some ideas where to look.

good luck with your conversion!
    Last edited by Zippy29er; 09-14-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: adding more info
    Surly Karate Monkey, SNGLSPD
    Surly Puglsey