Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

Seen any wildlife on the trail?

I am not against hunting, but I was still pretty shocked to see 5 dead coyotes in the back of a pickup yesterday. Apparently there is no limit in VT, shoot as many as you want, and trap as many as you want in Nov. & Dec. I've seen one on my bike and heard many, these coyote hunting rules seem a vestige of the old bounty days.

think
    Jul 2008
    At least in NH they're not native - the first one was seen in '44 I think it was. The population is growing despite having no limit, so I wouldn't worry about it. The things screw like rabbits.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've never seen a coyote, but definitely seen their signs.

I see a lot of deer,the occasional moose, and plenty of dogs off their ****ing leash ( sorry, pet peeve).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Over the summer I was biking and I almost hit a deer. It was a pretty narrow trail and it just jumped out right in front of me. Luckily it narrowly missed me.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    saw a special about coyotes awhile ago. they did some Dna testing and found that the ones you see in new england have mated with wolves at some point , so they are larger and less afraid of humans. There has also been a few un provoked attacks against humans ( which is what prompted the testing) which never has happened before.
    Also seems like alot of pets have dissappeared so because of those reasons there is alot of hunting

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We got coyotes down here in MA too. I live in Georgetown and saw one in my yard one night this fall. A year or two ago one attacked and killed a lady's Jack Russell in Georgetown-Rowley SF. I don't think they pose that much of a threat to humans outside of small kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroKlein View Post
    and plenty of dogs off their ****ing leash ( sorry, pet peeve).
    seriously? That bothers you? If ever there was a place to break leash laws, wouldn't it be in the middle of the freaking woods? Get over it.

the train keeps rollin
    Big Ones indeed, looks more like a wolf to me. Friend of a friend took this one in Concord Area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen any wildlife on the trail?-coyote.jpg  

Last edited by snowdrifter; 01-26-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Lots of wildlife encounters over the last 24 years of riding.

Seen plenty of coyotes, porcupines, deer, moose, bears, etc.

The most memorable: Riding in S. Jersey about 20 years ago and was caught in the middle of a deer herd. Remember the guy who got nailed last year by the wildebeest? Imagine 25 of them crossing all around you from right to left. Luckily none of them hit me.

Another time in N. Jersey a few years ago, came around a bend and face to face with a bear sitting in the middle of the trail. I stopped close enough to pet him. We both turned around and went the opposite direction!

BTW, I ride with my dog off leash. He responds to my commands and stays away from other bikers. I will stop and pull him aside if I have too. He's even trained to go potty off the trail.

Bombing a-hole riders with no regard for other trail users and their dogs is my pet peeve. Had a youngster almost hit my dog when he lost control on his brandy new Xmas FR bike a few weeks ago. I saw him coming and had my dog sitting off the side of the DT trail. Never said a word. Just got up and kept riding. No helmet so I do not expect to see him again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Damn, that one is good sized. Gotta be near 50 pounds? I've seen some decent sized ones, but never that big.

Moderator Moderator
    If you see a black snowshoe hare it is real, just a rare genetic anomaly. A beagler got one a few towns over this week. I have seen the regular white ones while biking, but probably would have thought a black one was an escaped pet rabbit if I hadn't seen that story.

Got A Lust for Life...

I see this...

From my deck when I am pumping up my tires before every ride...does it count?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen any wildlife on the trail?-p10005451.jpg  

I am immune to your disdain.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    From my deck when I am pumping up my tires before every ride...does it count?
    if it does then I have this off my deck after riding
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen any wildlife on the trail?-hawk3.jpg  

Got A Lust for Life...
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I see a lot of wild turkeys around. Not nearly as awesome as those as far as birds go. Just curious, where are you located with that Bald? I know theres a few around here in the Amesbury, Salisbury, NBPT Massachusetts area.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice birds! I saw a flock of turkeys this morning while biking on the snowmobile trail. First I saw their footprints, it looked like they had a huge party.

Saw a bald this summer on my bikepacking trip at Baxter State Park in ME. It was at the dam just outside Matagammon gate. I've seen them on Lake Champlain in VT too, but not while riding.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    This weekend I saw 2 bald eagles on the lake near an open spot. This morning there were 4 deer running down the trail ahead of me. Lots of squirrels and turkey tracks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    saw a special about coyotes awhile ago. they did some Dna testing and found that the ones you see in new england have mated with wolves at some point , so they are larger and less afraid of humans. There has also been a few un provoked attacks against humans ( which is what prompted the testing) which never has happened before.
    Also seems like alot of pets have dissappeared so because of those reasons there is alot of hunting
    Last year i finally saw one with my own eyes on the powerlines in Pelham. It was pretty damn big. Made my hair stand up. Gave me the 20 second staredown.

I was talking to a guy at EMS about it and before I could finish my story he said "It was huge, right?"

Then he said the yotes around here are part wolf. I believe it for sure.
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHLEG View Post
    Last year i finally saw one with my own eyes on the powerlines in Pelham. It was pretty damn big. Made my hair stand up. Gave me the 20 second staredown.

I was talking to a guy at EMS about it and before I could finish my story he said "It was huge, right?"

I was back home on leave on a hike in western Maine and saw a f'n huge dog like creature. Bigger than any coyote I've ever seen. I don't want to say it was a wolf, but that is what it looked like. Big one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    I was back home on leave on a hike in western Maine and saw a f'n huge dog like creature. Bigger than any coyote I've ever seen. I don't want to say it was a wolf, but that is what it looked like. Big one.
    Thats how I was. I first saw it and thought it was a loose dog, but then he heard me and we stared at eachother and i realized it wasn't a dog. Had all the features of a coyote or wolf. When you know, you know.

Thats when I got a bit nervous. LOL.

I had just come off a side trail and rolled up to take a break, and looked to my left and there it was about 50 feet up on the main trail. He kept on walking for another 20 feet then turned around and saw me.

If I was a few seconds earlier I probably would've bumped into it. Interesting stuff.
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

MTB, Road, Commuting

2 Deer

I've seen quite a few more but these are the only ones I stopped to get a picture of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen any wildlife on the trail?-2deer.jpg  

mtbr member
    just seen a muskrat. it was swimming along the shore under the ice. thought it was pretty cool.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

hows this

last year at lowell dracut
    not as unusual as you would think, if they dont turn into frogs by winter they just go on hold until spring. found this open spot in the ice and they were just swimming to the surface and gulping air every couple of minutes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen any wildlife on the trail?-dsc00244.jpg  

mtbr member
    nice, wish i got a pic of the water rat, it was too fast. i've seen other creatures under the ice, turtles, fish, but never tadpoles. thanks for the pic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHLEG View Post

That's good to know. The pelham powerlines from 111a to 111 in londonderry are my stomping grounds.

Moderator Moderator
    Got lucky with an action shot on this morning's snowmobile trail commute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen any wildlife on the trail?-deerjumping.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast