mtbr member
    Apr 2012

School me on the Lebanon area

Moving to Lebanon in a few days.

Seems like there is a ton of good riding within a short drive from the upper valley.

Anyone ride fat bikes in the winter? I know Millstone and KT do it, but that's a little far for an after work ride.

Should I just throw my 6x6 33lbs bike in the trash since everything is so damn smooth up here? Or is there something I don't know about this area?

Anything else I should know?

Pretty pumped to finally be riding a place that actually has hills. After years of riding on north shore of Mass any climb larger than 200 feet seems like a mountain to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    First, be aware that right next door a full-on civil war is raging. Secondly..
    Ohhhh, you mean Lebanon, NH.

You are 20 miles from the Ascutney Trails - 30 miles of XC trails for newbies to ninjas. There are a few fat bikers here, but after today's rain and tomorrow's freeze, studs is all you're gonna need. Check out Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin > Home for more info.
    Here's a video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyR93Vjk0LI

Search for "STAB trails" or "Ascutney" on the forum for what others are saying.
    (Just tried - search isn't returning anything newer than 2006 right now - I hope MTBR hasn't lost those posts while upgrading.)

Oh, and it is MOUNT Ascutney, so bring your lungs.
    Last edited by jimbikeski; 01-31-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: comment on searching

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    First, be aware that right next door a full-on civil war is raging. Secondly..
    Ohhhh, you mean Lebanon, NH.

You are 20 miles from the Ascutney Trails - 30 miles of XC trails for newbies to ninjas. There are a few fat bikers here, but after today's rain and tomorrow's freeze, studs is all you're gonna need. Check out Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin > Home for more info.
    Here's a video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyR93Vjk0LI

Search for "STAB trails" or "Ascutney" on the forum for what others are saying.

Oh, and it is MOUNT Ascutney, so bring your lungs.
    Thanks. Everything in that video looks really fun.

Mount Ascutney eh? Should be perfect for my SS!

No Stranger to danger....
    I would watch out for Hamas, militants, Hezbollah, and being kidnapped, Lebanon can be a very dangerous place, i have a few mate from there ,they are always telling me how dangerous it is, thats why they left and came to Oz, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Check the Omer & Bob website for ride locations and maps. Check with Jason at Mason Racing on Fat Bikes. Jason will set you right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CDALE SS View Post
    Check the Omer & Bob website for ride locations and maps. Check with Jason at Mason Racing on Fat Bikes. Jason will set you right.
    Awesome. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinF View Post
    Awesome. Thanks.
    Boston Lot is in Lebanon, great place to ride. Mason Racing host a group ride every Tueaday starting in the spring. The Pinnacle is a great place to ride, about 20 minutes down the intersate. (newport). Another vote for Jaosn at Mason, bring all your questions to him, he'll hook you up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rode b-lot today and it was in great shape provided you have studs. Clint at Mason does a very hard uptempo ride on tuesday nights in the summer. there's a more conversational ride at the same time as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gered Dunne View Post
    Rode b-lot today and it was in great shape provided you have studs. Clint at Mason does a very hard uptempo ride on tuesday nights in the summer. there's a more conversational ride at the same time as well.
    Sounds good. Time to get ready for the punishment of this ride.

Would it be ride-able without studs or is it wicked icy? Thinking about checking out the new neighborhood tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    By the way... you're one of these guys, right?

Nor'Easter Backcountry: Vote Now: Best Powder - January 2013

You live in the Upper Valley? I'm moving up there tomorrow and would love to have a backcountry sufferfest, or in shitty times like this, biking, buddy in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    By the way... you're one of these guys, right?

Nor'Easter Backcountry: Vote Now: Best Powder - January 2013

You live in the Upper Valley? I'm moving up there tomorrow and would love to have a backcountry sufferfest, or in shitty times like this, biking, buddy in the area.
    Yep, that's me. Brand and I actually both live in the area. He's in leb for a few more months and then off to Texas. So, we've been looking for a new Brad. Your timing may be impecable.

drop me a line when you're all settled in:
    gered@noreasterbackcountry.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sounds good. Time to get ready for the punishment of this ride.

Would it be ride-able without studs or is it wicked icy? Thinking about checking out the new neighborhood tomorrow.
    Studs are 100% required. I was in there last night and put a foot down and was flat on my ass before you could say broken coccyx.