mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Sanitation Timber Harvest at Bear Brook State Park

FYI
    It looks like there will be some significant Red Pine harvesting that may affect some of the mountain bike trails this winter.
    You can check it out on nhstateparks.org under press release.

Tool
    It doesn't look to me as though any mtb trails will be affected, although the map kinda sucks, so I could be wrong.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

the train keeps rollin
    Looks like New Rye Singletrack will get a wack. There's only a few people riding this trail.
    beaver hunt

the train keeps rollin
    Paging DanO.

Dan, can you ask the Ranger about creating additional trails in the area between New Rye Rd and the swimming pond after the logging is complete? There's already a .5 mile singletrack in there, it would be nice to create a 2-3 mile loop in that area, it would be a great addition to the park.
    beaver hunt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Paging DanO.

Dan, can you ask the Ranger about creating additional trails in the area between New Rye Rd and the swimming pond after the logging is complete? There's already a .5 mile singletrack in there, it would be nice to create a 2-3 mile loop in that area, it would be a great addition to the park.
    on the list, but there may not be much tree cover , theyre pretty much taking out all the red pines.
    on a side note, we may be in danger of spreading this problem. Ill be talking to the state forester in charge of the problem shortly. Im wondering if we can spread it on our tires and bikes

lastly, if you know anyone who knows anything about trying to re open little bear , ask them to please stop. It will never be allowed and they are only taking away time that could be better used elsewhere

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    link for map
    The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation : Bear Brook State Park

looks like around toll booth and along New Rye rd will be clear cut or close to it

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    Thankfully that is all that we are losing ! Great job with the new trails, thank you all !!! I got to ride them for the first time last Friday and now can't wait to see what develops over the next couple of seasons.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    lastly, if you know anyone who knows anything about trying to re open little bear , ask them to please stop. It will never be allowed and they are only taking away time that could be better used elsewhere
    It's not me, I don't know who it is. I'd rather re-open the end of cascade, the re-route is crap.
    beaver hunt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    It's not me, I don't know who it is. I'd rather re-open the end of cascade, the re-route is crap.
    doubtfull, one of the things we're doing is to try and align trail heads, that will make it less confusing and lower the costs of signage. the re route itself could be altered as long as it ends where it does now. we will be having a meeting in January to discuss the park.

mtbr member
    wow, if I said this I would be getting read the riot act..... oh wait, I already did... and got crap from both of you! Sorry, had to say something...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    wow, if I said this I would be getting read the riot act..... oh wait, I already did... and got crap from both of you! Sorry, had to say something...

Yeah, but now that I've pushed my bike up that switch back, I share your opinion for once.
    beaver hunt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, but now that I've pushed my bike up that switch back, I share your opinion for once.
    well I never saw anyone ride up the old stairs either, when they were actually stairs
    most ride down that way

mtbr member
    well I never saw anyone ride up the old stairs either, when they were actually stairs
    most ride down that way
    either way you ride the switchback your goin up a bad corner... sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse. I'm actually looking forward to actually getting my hands dirty on the trails next year...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

customized
    Sep 2003
    most ride down that way
    Big Bear rules, the new Little Bear is cool both ways. Don't miss the old Little Bear... well I may come winter.

Understand the Cascade reroute completely, that one corner is just too steep and too tight though.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum View Post
    Understand the Cascade reroute completely, that one corner is just too steep and too tight though.
    It sounds as if you may have taken the time to evaluate the land in that area. Given that the State wanted the stairs closed, there were few options but to put in steep switchbacks.

I would agree that the two switchbacks on the upper portion of the reroute are completely needless and am hoping they can be eliminated in the spring. There is an obvious straight shot from the upper of those two switchbacks (the one that's too tight, although not very steep) to the old Cascade. This would restore some flow.

If you guys are having trouble with either of the switchbacks on the lower portion of the reroute, I feel bad for you, but don't take it out on NEMBA. Just ride more.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    It sounds as if you may have taken the time to evaluate the land in that area. Given that the State wanted the stairs closed, there were few options but to put in steep switchbacks.

I would agree that the two switchbacks on the upper portion of the reroute are completely needless and am hoping they can be eliminated in the spring. There is an obvious straight shot from the upper of those two switchbacks (the one that's too tight, although not very steep) to the old Cascade. This would restore some flow.

If you guys are having trouble with either of the switchbacks on the lower portion of the reroute, I feel bad for you, but don't take it out on NEMBA. Just ride more.
    I think we are on the same page. Not even sure if you know who I am, although we have ridden together before. For the record, no issues with Nemba's work in Bear Brook here. Dan knows this, I've clued him in on some shady trails out there, to help avoid the issue in the other thread.

As far as riding more... bout to crack 400 hours cycling this season, mostly dirt. I ride plenty and get there at a pretty good clip... up or down.