Go Bruins!

sabotage continues at stratham hill park

For those who may have heard, stratham hill park had some incidents this fall with someone placing objects in the middle of the trail near the ends of some very fast downhills. One person broke his foot when running into a deer skull that was placed in the middle of the trail. There were a few articles in the local seacoast papers, an editorial, and word that police know who the "culprit" may be, but either way, someone is at it again.

I was riding there today near sunset on the normal loop in the normal direction for those in the know. After a lot of climbing, and after a left turn, you come to the very first DH section of very fast doubletrack that turns right and goes over a couple of rocks and then forks right and goes down again. Well, right after the first section after you go around the corner and go over the rocks, someone placed two large logs in parallel with the trail and a large boulder in the middle. To the left is another large log and to the right was a tree.

I had the time to stop and avoid an accident, but it was still light out at that time. A night rider hitting that section with any speed may have hit that stuff and really gotten hurt. I moved it all out of of the way, but I gotta say to whoever is doing this crap really needs to take their head out of their a$$.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Put up a game camera on the hot spot. They are motion sensitive and run off an IR flash.

At the same time get some more buzz going in the local news so that when the culprits reveal themselves the story has legs.

think
    Jul 2008
    A few friends and I rolled a bunch of the offending logs further into the woods. Next time, the saw. They can try to block the trail with a pile of disks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i'll be out there in an hour and a half. will keep eyes peeled. maybe the ground will be frozen and stuff.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    nice 2.5 hour ride this morning. rode from newmarket to stratham hill where i dropped the pack and rode the race course plus some, and then grabbed the pack and continued on to work in portsmouth. best riding conditions of the year by far. fast frozen, no mud or debris. cold temps in the low/mid 20's are so much nicer than sweating it out in summer imo. only noticed a coupla bushes crossing the trail on startham hills backside. perfect other than that.

now time to mount skis and tune up bikes........double duty. love that.

rogblog out

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    nice 2.5 hour ride this morning....cold temps in the low/mid 20's are so much nicer than sweating it out in summer imo...perfect other than that.

now time to mount skis and tune up bikes........double duty. love that.

rogblog out
    Or is it, mount bike & keep skis tuned

Hey Rog
    -cape'r

***Woods justice - hang the bastards***

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by No Ski today - so I Ride View Post

Or is it, mount bike & keep skis tuned

Hey Rog
    -cape'r

***Woods justice - hang the bastards***
    don't tune my skis, just ski good snow that said, haven't bothered to ski yet. soon enough.

fort rock was delightful this am.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

No need to go over the bridge yet my friend

Capes is a goood too...have not missed a day in weeks

-wiz

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    wizman! rode down there the day after xmas. perfect conditions from sandy pond to mary dunne. the 6.5 or so miles of bushwood/automile were downright amazing. not too many places in new england where you can ride one continuous trail for 6.5 miles and never pick yer head up. fvcking amazing in there! add all of the other miles in there and you got yerself a real ride. no signs, maps, no frenchies.................refreshing.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    wizman! rode down there the day after xmas. perfect conditions from sandy pond to mary dunne. the 6.5 or so miles of bushwood/automile were downright amazing. not too many places in new england where you can ride one continuous trail for 6.5 miles and never pick yer head up. fvcking amazing in there! add all of the other miles in there and you got yerself a real ride. no signs, maps, no frenchies.................refreshing.

rog
    Rite on, funny...Should be called the "Pump House to Pump House Run", man. Weather has been outstanding for riding. Fer me, been working both sides of Rt6. Still riding the Big 3, but right now got the lov fer the 99.8% dirt tread between Sandwich & Orleans & cut the "Railtrail" riding down to about 2 clicks. You know it: fairly straightforward to Punks, then Brewster State Forest to backside of Nick & the many playgrounds in between And on both sides!!!. After 10 years of exploring down here, I still cant believe all the links: from the bridges to Foulmouth to Ptown. And old faithful Tot never stops the smiles either...you were right, 100's of miles down here, thanx. As you 1st suggested, I worked the sections then linked em, now its really All Good, Man. Peace, how's the snow setting up on up high, Wednesdays storm should be good at elevation

edit: sorry to hi-jac thread: Remove those cowards from Stratham Hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by No Ski today - so I Ride View Post
    Rite on, funny...Should be called the "Pump House to Pump House Run", man. Weather has been outstanding for riding. Fer me, been working both sides of Rt6. Still riding the Big 3, but right now got the lov fer the 99.8% dirt tread between Sandwich & Orleans & cut the "Railtrail" riding down to about 2 clicks. You know it: fairly straightforward to Punks, then Brewster State Forest to backside of Nick & the many playgrounds in between And on both sides!!!. After 10 years of exploring down here, I still cant believe all the links: from the bridges to Foulmouth to Ptown. And old faithful Tot never stops the smiles either...you were right, 100's of miles down here, thanx. As you 1st suggested, I worked the sections then linked em, now its really All Good, Man. Peace, how's the snow setting up on up high, Wednesdays storm should be good at elevation

edit: sorry to hi-jac thread: Remove those cowards from Stratham Hill
    fun blog back/forth nice to see you connecting it all up. makes me have flashbacks of my 80 ish mile tot to the gauntlet in wellfleet and back off road bonanzas on the old prestige steel stumpjumper back in the day. stupid long solo days spent trying to figure out ways to kill off my inner demons

maybe some snow through the week in bits/pieces up high. i may go up george next week if enough falls. we shall see. probably ride STRATHAM! on wednesday am. will keep an eye out for crazy man and his obtstacles.

peace chris

rog