Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rogue trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This doesn't add up.

nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/bear-brook-state-park.aspx

That page shows off the NEMBA work and really sells that BB is a Mtn bike destination. I get that they are concerned about rogue trails as they should be, but they need to know they are preaching to the choir by *****ing at SNH Nemba. It seems like someone was in a pissy mood and felt like lashing out at the only "visible" presence they could get at.

What I think would be helpful is to have NEMBAfest come back to BB and really make sure it's generating massive revenue for the area. Invite the local restaurants and shops to have booths as well as the rolling circus tents from the manufacturers. With a large income from an established event that is lining the state's pocket every year, then we will have a lot more leverage. Cause as the saying goes, money talks and BS walks...

mtbr member
    Just to clear something up.

I bet they see
    trails and mtn bikers standing infront of their easy cash source. Is this Red Pine issue for real, or a good excuse to do more clear cutting?

The comment above is just ignorant.

Do some research on Forest and Lands and State Parks.
    http://www.nhdfl.org/new-hampshire-s...t-program.aspx

The recreation side is just a small part of what DRED actually does.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    DanO wrote "they can ban mtn biking alltogether on state property" but I don't think he's saying the regulators at the State ever made that threat. I'm sure they are trying to get us to police ourselves and want to know how we're going to address this problem.
    When the words "Control your members" pops up, that's ignorant/childish language in my opinion.

Obviously building trails illegally is wrong, and the people responsible should be dealt with, but a blanket threat of closing the park to all mtn. bike riders is equally wrong in my view.
    Voltron

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Just to clear something up.

I bet they see
    trails and mtn bikers standing infront of their easy cash source. Is this Red Pine issue for real, or a good excuse to do more clear cutting?

The comment above is just ignorant.

Do some research on Forest and Lands and State Parks.
    http://www.nhdfl.org/new-hampshire-s...t-program.aspx

The recreation side is just a small part of what DRED actually does.
    •State-owned forests would serve as demonstrations of sound forestry principles;

Some of the logging at Bear Brook is hardly sound foresty. The clear cutting off Podunk Rd is a total mess. It's so choke full of underbrush now, the land is scared, raped for some logs. It's growing back into the thickest crap you can't even walk through. There's sink holes, and all sorts of trenches left behind. Then they post some signs on how they're restoring native habitat, HAH!! You'd have to be ignorant to believe them signs.
    beaver hunt

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    When the words "Control your members" pops up, that's ignorant/childish language in my opinion.

Obviously building trails illegally is wrong, and the people responsible should be dealt with, but a blanket threat of closing the park to all mtn. bike riders is equally wrong in my view.
    I don't disagree with you Greg. I also don't believe anyone at DRED made any blanket threat. We are way too big of a resource for them to even think about shutting us out (which would be like fighting the tide). Without exception, no user group contributes to trail maintenance as much as mountain bikers.

Tool
    One must realize that this is the gov't we're talking about. Logic takes a back seat to politics when it comes to dealing with them. I commend Dan, Matt, and all the NEMBA reps who have made a ton of progress with the State in the last few years, doing things that I'm sure feels like selling their souls at times to improve mountain biking for all of us.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

the train keeps rollin
    Sell your souls for singletrack!! thanks.
    beaver hunt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    DanO wrote "they can ban mtn biking alltogether on state property" but I don't think he's saying the regulators at the State ever made that threat. I'm sure they are trying to get us to police ourselves and want to know how we're going to address this problem.

that is correct, that was in reply to someone asking what could they do

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jlogic311 View Post
    This doesn't add up.

nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/bear-brook-state-park.aspx

That page shows off the NEMBA work and really sells that BB is a Mtn bike destination. I get that they are concerned about rogue trails as they should be, but they need to know they are preaching to the choir by *****ing at SNH Nemba. It seems like someone was in a pissy mood and felt like lashing out at the only "visible" presence they could get at.

What I think would be helpful is to have NEMBAfest come back to BB and really make sure it's generating massive revenue for the area. Invite the local restaurants and shops to have booths as well as the rolling circus tents from the manufacturers. With a large income from an established event that is lining the state's pocket every year, then we will have a lot more leverage. Cause as the saying goes, money talks and BS walks...
    NEMBA fest is at Kingdom trails for 2 more years, we are working on the Bear Brook boogie again, hopefully as a 2 day event

as far as revenue , thats exactly the point we made in our presentation, kingdom had 50000 visitors in 2008 @ $15 a head. Thats why the agreed to let us make BB a destination Mtn bike park

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    guys
    lets not get all wound up,I'm just relaying what Ive been told. We are having a meeting with DRED next month and with the BB authorities after that. Hopefully its all just a big misunderstanding.
    The state never threatened to ban us, I said that they could in a response to someone asking what they could do about it.
    Its not out of the realm of possibilities though, ATVs are banned aren't they?

all I ask is PLEASE no more rogue trails on Govt property , let us get this project underway, you wont be sorry, bear brook will be a kick ass destination if we succeed
    they already have a first class camp ground, lots of ponds for swimming , fishing , boating. It could really be a nice vacation spot for the whole family, with shopping , dh parks, and all kinds of other activities within a 30 min drive

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    •State-owned forests would serve as demonstrations of sound forestry principles;

Some of the logging at Bear Brook is hardly sound foresty. The clear cutting off Podunk Rd is a total mess. It's so choke full of underbrush now, the land is scared, raped for some logs. It's growing back into the thickest crap you can't even walk through. There's sink holes, and all sorts of trenches left behind. Then they post some signs on how they're restoring native habitat, HAH!! You'd have to be ignorant to believe them signs.

that , my friend is a whole nother can of worms.

DRED stands for Dept. of resource and economic development, that means they are in charge of maximising the revenue stream from the states resources. They will do what they want to do, no sense starting a no win fight. My hope is that with our plan we will bring in far more money than they ever could by logging

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    One must realize that this is the gov't we're talking about. Logic takes a back seat to politics when it comes to dealing with them. I commend Dan, Matt, and all the NEMBA reps who have made a ton of progress with the State in the last few years, doing things that I'm sure feels like selling their souls at times to improve mountain biking for all of us.

-Pete

life is full of compromises, if I had my way I would build kick ass dh style trails , but, unless you want to be out there constantly , those type trails fall apart quickly and require way more maintenance than you or I would be willing to put in
    plus Highland is only 35 mins away...

If I were rich I'd buy a huge tract of land and build a mtn bikers paridise, but since I need to use other peoples property I have to abide by their rules

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

problem is how do you catch the culprits? by the time they find out , the trails in use
    they are complaining to the one organization that unites most riders

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    a very childish response from the powers that be.

Greg
    maybe but I seem to remember you were quite pissed off a couple of years ago when someone was sanatizing some of the rock features at HP. Imagine how mad you would have been if you had owned or been in charge of the property

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The old rule is, If you build it we will come, if you don't build it, we will build it.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    maybe but I seem to remember you were quite pissed off a couple of years ago when someone was sanatizing some of the rock features at HP. Imagine how mad you would have been if you had owned or been in charge of the property
    I hear you and sympathize 100% with your issue. Please don't get my dislike for "threats" (implied or said directly) confused with support of what you are trying to accomplish in BB. What you guys have done thus far is amazing and worthy of praise to the highest degree. Hats off.

Personally I took matters into my own hands and dealt with the problem at HP, lets just say that boulder altering has stopped, at least from that group.
    Voltron

Black Lion
    problem is how do you catch the culprits? by the time they find out , the trails in use
    they are complaining to the one organization that unites most riders

2 words
    Game camera
    Voltron

Tool
    life is full of compromises, if I had my way I would build kick ass dh style trails , but, unless you want to be out there constantly , those type trails fall apart quickly and require way more maintenance than you or I would be willing to put in
    plus Highland is only 35 mins away...

If I were rich I'd buy a huge tract of land and build a mtn bikers paridise, but since I need to use other peoples property I have to abide by their rules
    Whoops, please let me clarify the 'selling their souls' comment. It had nothing at all to do with the types of trails that are being built (XC singletrack is all I ride). It had everything to do with the fact that you're likely forced to bite your tongue on a frequent basis when dealing with the senselessness of the State workers. I doubt I'd have to fortitude to deal with those folks. That is all.

Your work is veery much appreciated.

mtbr member
    got Ya dan... I know it starts crap on here, but still appreciate knowing what's goin on, even if it's behind the scenes... One other thing though... we don't necessarily need to build unsustainable DH type trails... there are ways of building long term sustainable flowing DH trails... such as this.... type of thing.. maybe one or two that anyone can ride, and maybe a rating system for trails so that you can call one expert only and have maybe a dedicated freeride trail...

Feature Diagrams | International Mountain Bicycling Association
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    It had everything to do with the fact that you're likely forced to bite your tongue on a frequent basis when dealing with the senselessness of the State workers. I doubt I'd have to fortitude to deal with those folks. That is all.
    I am a State worker and you may mean no offense, but please do not put all of us in the same boat. I bust my ass on a daily basis working to spend less of your tax dollars.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    The old rule is, If you build it we will come, if you don't build it, we will build it.
    LOL, Pure 24k gold....
    pitbull if you dont mind i might even use that as a signiture for a while
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, Pure 24k gold....
    pitbull if you dont mind i might even use that as a signiture for a while
    I would be honored.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    I am a State worker and you may mean no offense, but please do not put all of us in the same boat. I bust my ass on a daily basis working to spend less of your tax dollars.
    No offense meant, and in fact, I regret including the word 'people' as I don't know any of the people involved. My apologies.

the train keeps rollin
    Aren't some of the best trails in Bear Brook "Rogue Trails"? Hemlocks, Alpe D'huez, Itrail/hallmarsh. Are they now legit trails in the park, or still a grey area?
    beaver hunt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast