MTB, Road, Commuting

Rideable Mountains In Maine

I'm looking for mountains with trails that have trails that are mostly rideable to the top. Most hiking trails have sections that are too steep or technical (for me at least) to make them good rides.

Here are some I have done.

Pleasant Mountain(Bridgeton): Fire-wardens trail, the bottom 2/3 is rideable and the top 1/3 is somewhat rideable based on skill
    Burnt Meadow Mountain(Brownfield): Snowmobile trails on the SE side, mostly rideable based on skill but the top has been torn to shreds by ATVs
    Frost Mountain(Brownfield): Snowmobile trails. I haven't done this since last year but I remember that most of it was passable.
    Mount Tom(Fryburg): Mt. Tom Trail. Almost all rideable.
    Mount Pisgah(Monmouth): I haven't done this in years but I remember it was all rideable, nice views.

mtbr member
    Vienna Mt. in Belgrade Lakes. Mostly old logging roads with some DT near the top. We usually park at Blueberry Hill and ride from there. See the link for my Strava track.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Vienna Mt. near Rome | Times and Records | Strava

I did Pisgah a few years back and remember riding straight up the fire warden rd. and then found some trails that went around and back down. Wasn't fun enough to repeat. Or maybe I missed the good trails.

Ragged Mt.(Camden Snow Bowl) - Never ridden.

beer thief
    This list could get very long, but here are a couple worth doing. I like exposed rock so that's what I seek out.

Mt. Waldo in Frankfort
    Streaked Mountain in Buckfield

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you'd like rumford whitecap as well rob. mt zircon. sunday river climb to whitecap is awesome. the climb up Kansas to top of Jordan is good as well. spruce mt. man there's so many.

rog

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Nice list growing here. I'm in the Sebago area so I'm not likely to head as far as some of these but it sounds like Whitecap / Mt Zircon might be worth the trip and Streaked isn't' too far away. Belgrade isn't out of the question if I made a day of it.

Rideable Mountains In Maine-2013-08-24-13.37.36.jpg
    At the top of Burnt Meadow

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    zircon is decent when ridden and pair up with stuff from the direction of Bryant pond. streaked is best ridden from hebron academy vicinity and climbed via the east-ish shoulder via a snow-mo trail which rides really well from what I remember. looping around by singepole mt works too.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Camden Snowbowl ( Ragged Mtn.) - Mentioned previously. Entire ski area portion can be climbed. A short push is req'd to reach the peak above the top of the ski area.

Pleasant Mtn. (Warren, ME) - Entire climb rideable. Rock faces near the top provide some good challenge. Awesome views.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Mt. Waldo in Frankfort
    The landowners of Mt Waldo posted the land to no trespassing late last year. There is some issues with a proposed windfarm going on top causing the posting. Some people have permission to ride there but it is no longer considered open to the public.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    you'd like rumford whitecap as well rob. mt zircon. sunday river climb to whitecap is awesome. the climb up Kansas to top of Jordan is good as well. spruce mt. man there's so many.
    I have scoped out Rumford Whitecap from the cell tower on neighboring Black Mountain. Looks like a killer ski spot. Been to the top of Spruce too but for me it would only be worth that slog if there was a singletrack descent.

Quote Originally Posted by JQualey View Post
    The landowners of Mt Waldo posted the land to no trespassing late last year. There is some issues with a proposed windfarm going on top causing the posting. Some people have permission to ride there but it is no longer considered open to the public.
    Bummer. Thanks for the update!

To the OP: since you are in Sebago, have you found anything on Rattlesnake Mountain in Casco? I remember rock climbing there ~20 years ago and the terrain was very nice. I thought we might have done some riding in that area at the same time.

mtbr member
    I hiked Rattlesnake about 10 years ago but remember it being more hike-a-bike terrain.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    There is a trail around the base of it (Rattlesnake) from Rt 121 to 85 that is decent. I rode up the hiking trail but there were tons of windfalls blocking the trail when I did it so I had to dismount 10-20 times. I think if those weren't there it would be 90-95% rideable. The trail on the south side is not. More like climb-a-bike
    Attachment 827658

radair, did you hike of bike up Black Mountain? It sounds like the Rumford area has some options if I could find the trails.

mtbr member
    I must have gone up the south side as I remember some scrambling over steep rock faces.

fuggansonofahowa
    The main trails of Rattlesnake are not really open to bikes....so the signs say. There are some rideable trails on the west side (Hancock lumber) and to the south (Camp Hinds Boy Scout). Not a whole lot last I checked.

I do want to revisit some Casco trails that lead up to Quaker Ridge (Hacker's Hill). Coming from the North (rte 11) or East side (121) is a network of ATV/Snow mobile trails. The view from the Ridge is one of the best in Sebago region, IMO. Not a whole lot of vertical, but it feels like it when your at the peak.

Not a lot of great climbing in the Sebago area. I do want to venture to Shawnee Peak sometime to see what is there. Gots to be somethun over there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Looks like a killer ski spot.
    skied there quite a few times back in the day. can be fun, especially on lightweight waxless bc stuff. heavier gear with skins is kinda overkill imo. get lots of wind effect, positive and negative. fun if you have a few hours to kill. streaked, both peaks including the valley of the kings is better tho so long as you get it fresh with a decent base covering the rock slabs. mollyockett mt and peaks nearby around concord pond is bc touring gods country tho. so much stuff. was once or thrice very late for an evening work shift at the riv due to pow farming in them thar hills in the mid 90's.

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman View Post
    Not a lot of great climbing in the Sebago area. I do want to venture to Shawnee Peak sometime to see what is there. Gots to be somethun over there.
    Shawnee Peak is just the name of the ski are. The mountain is Pleasant mountain mentioned earlier in this thread.

fuggansonofahowa
    Thanks for the clarification.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    There are quite a few trails around the base of Pleasant Mt. but it can be tricky to find you way onto them. None of them actually go to the top that I have found.

Agreed about Quaker Ridge, not much of a mountain but the views are as good as other climbs twice as long. I usually go up there on a road bike. It does look like there are some trails from the power lines on 121. I'm thinking of heading in that direction to check out Jugtown Forrest this weekend.

fuggansonofahowa
    Be sure to post your experience at Jugtown. I've wanted to try it but heard mixed reports. A buddy and I will be toying around Quaker Ridge this weekend. We're going to see if we can find a decent run from Cresent Lake....so the south side of Rattlesnake will be in play.
    A bunch of years back we hit the powerlines from 121 toward QR. It was rough and some dismounted pushing was needed. A few years back, there were some new ATV trails being developed. They were in process and rough, but passable. I have noticed a trailhead off of route 11 that gives me that "I want to ride that" feeling.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I'll report on Jugtown. I just realized you were in the the same town as me, maybe we could get together and explore the Quaker Ridge area. This weekend is kind of busy, group road ride in the AM and Jugtown sometime over the long weekend.
    (PM Sent)

fuggansonofahowa
    (PM Replied)

We go riding soon. By the look of your blog, I may slow you down.

Real interested in Jugtown, non-the-less.