Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    stoneblender
    Sep 2003

The Revolution has begun ...

The beginnings of the new Flatbread Revolution trail, which will link from near the bottom of Cyclone in Camel's Hump State Forest down to Route 100 at American Flatbread.

If you want to help with the work, John and Walt will be out several times a week through September, and we will have an official day or two also. Stone masonry skills are in demand, this is a wet area with lots of rock installations. Fortunately, there are incredible supplies near the trail in some ideal places.

Check out the Flatbread Fungi Fest on September 29th to help celebrate the start of the Revolution!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson View Post
    ...the new Flatbread Revolution trail...will link from near the bottom of Cyclone in Camel's Hump State Forest down to Route 100 at American Flatbread.
    This is really good news! Great job getting landowner permission to make this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson View Post
    If you want to help with the work, John and Walt will be out several times a week through September, and we will have an official day or two also. Stone masonry skills are in demand, this is a wet area with lots of rock installations. Fortunately, there are incredible supplies near the trail in some ideal places.
    Is either end of the trail open yet (or at least visible)? I might head in on one of my early AM rides and move some rocks around. I'm usually done riding by 8:30am, so usually can't make trail work days.
    "Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go. We just ride." - Robert Hunter

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Hey Eric,

It was five years of planning and negotiation to get the permissions. That part is done now though!

The entrance from Flatbread is very obvious. Go to the left of the wood pile and back to the edge of the field. The big old farm road opening is pretty noticeable. Following the flagging until it leaves the old road, that's where the hand work starts.

This is designed to be an intermediate route, so no flat slippy stones in the tread. We are going to build cribs and fill them with stone and capped with dirt in most places, at least three feet wide. There is a ton of organic material to remove still too.

I'll be pinflagging projects in the next week or two.

Thanks for the offer to help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nice.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003

The Revolution continues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok- We are doing a Work day on this trail every Wed. till later in the fall.
    Meet in Flatbread parking Lot 4pm. Can't make 4-start when you can. Trail starts to left of the wood pile. Follow the flagging up. Tools: if it "digs" or "rakes" bring it.
    Hope to see you there! John C.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

A few cell phone pictures

A few shots in no particular order. JC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Revolution has begun ...-img_0336.jpg  

The Revolution has begun ...-img_0352.jpg  

The Revolution has begun ...-img_0350.jpg  

The Revolution has begun ...-img_0338.jpg  

The Revolution has begun ...-img_0346.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can't wait to go check it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Work continues

Had our first "group work day" last Wed. Will meet again next week,Wed-4:00 pm Behind Flatbread. JC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Revolution has begun ...-img_0364.jpg  

The Revolution has begun ...-img_0360.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    When does the 500 feet of board walk through the wetland go in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, some wet sections near the top. We moved a line further up the hill . This greatly reduces the need for so much wood. JC

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stovepipe View Post
    Yea, some wet sections near the top. We moved a line further up the hill . This greatly reduces the need for so much wood. JC
    That's good. Lot's of wood structures means alot of money and work to keep them up. Not as duarble as we think in moist enviornments. Did the Cyclone race ever happen?

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    The bridging should be less 100 feet now, no wet land crossing. We are working from the bottom first, because we don't want the top entrance done until it connects all the way to Flatbread. There is a lot of rock and good soil close to the trail. We'll see how much we can use before resorting to bridges.

We have a bank of salvaged pt to use for the structure. We hope to use Baird hemlock decking, but may stick with the pt, if we have enough. I have some traction plans.

The insurance telephone game proved too much for me to get it dialed for the race. I do think there may be a grander finish next year at Flatbread. Momentum is hard to get rolling, but once you got it, you're moving.

John

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hey Rocky----

Bullwinkle must have gone out for Pizza last night. Next Berm in the making. JC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Revolution has begun ...-img_0372.jpg  

The Revolution has begun ...-img_0373.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Seems like you need MUCH larger stones. Cool Moose track!

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Seems like you should follow your own advice, more time helping build trails and less time on the computer. We'd love to see you on Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

You mean like this?

This one all most got away. JC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Revolution has begun ...-img_0377.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stovepipe View Post
    This one all most got away. JC
    Now we're speaking the same language!
    John...sorry. I'll be working on the Blue Berry Lake trails all day Wednesday. Like to be home for dinner. Think that puts me over 100 hours on that project. Plus a couple hundred hours here on the Norwich stuff. I really do need to get my hands dirty more.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 09-25-2012 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Walked this trail yesterday. Good to see some volenteers out. With all the riders in the Valley, it's amazing that only John and Walt show up. Same two dudes doing the work for hundreds of users. Keep it up guys, and when in doubt, go bigger, and bury deeper. If you can kick a rock out of place (no matter how big), then it needs to be toothed in more. Otherwise it will move if someone crashes into it, not to mention what the freeze/thaw is going to do on such a wet hillside over a few seasons. Just my 2 cents, you can take it or leave it, not trying to stir the pot.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    We had two members of the MOB show up too, remember them? The tide is turning, though. We've had more volunteers show up this year, than ever before. Certainly, we need many more folks to help.

The list of riders who always have time to pedal and little or no time for building is long. Some of them even benefit financially from the work and never show. But if we let this get us down, the good stuff stops happening. Regardless of the challenges, we have much more momentum than ever before.

As for the rocks, I keep pushing for bigger and deeper. We continue to discuss the issues and we are moving in the right direction. As we will likely be working on this next spring to finish, anything that doesn't work over the winter will be obvious. And I always kick at the stones to see which ones move.

I remember going through this evolution and in some ways, I still am. Working with Hardy, Brooke, Knight, you and Patrick has grown my skills a lot. Sometimes I still try to cut a corner and use something too small, but I always hear the voices chiding me, especially yours.

Many thanks for coming by last night, it was nice to see so many faces in the woods. As much as we felt judged, I think it is very important to keep feedback from experts flowing. We have changed this route a few times now, based partly on Caitrin's and Hardy's suggestions and we will keep improving the build quality too.

Part of the naming of this trail is to highlight the developments in design/build quality and landowner relationships. Vive la Revolution!
    Last edited by atkinson; 09-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Any work is good work. We've been lucky enough to get to spend thousands of collective hours doing this over the last few years and it just makes sense to try and share what we have learned. Take a field trip to Kimmers and stop to take a look at the scale to which the upper turns were built. That was all hand work but would be very difficult without the cart and 2 good rock bars. Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Still getting in few days in the dirt

Some nice days JC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Revolution has begun ...-img_0392.jpg  

Ride and Smile suckas
    Nice trail building... Your following the rules!
    Hard work lasts longer than the easy way. well done
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    A couple of shots from this weekend's project.

Many thanks to Jared Hossefros and CRW for the excavator, Sean Flynn for his time, patience and expertise, and Marv Theurer/ Earthworks for help with moving the machine. A special shout out to John Cole and Walt Silbernagel too, these guys are machines.

Oh my god, we are close to completion. We hope to get the boardwalk foundations laid this Saturday, then it's hammer time.

The Grand Opening is tentatively scheduled for next Memorial Day. We are hoping for an enduro as part of it, Enchanted Forest-Cyclone Connector-Cyclone-Revolution, 5 miles/500' of climb/1500' of descent. Given the Valley riding community's tendencies, we may have to add a race that is the reverse of this route.

You can check it out now, but please walk around any soft sections. Over about 1.5 miles, there are only a few hundred feet that aren't ready to try. It climbs really well too, so park at Flatbread and get the whole experience. The trailhead is behind the woodpile, out in the big field.

John

mtbr member
    an enduro in the spring sounds awesome, as there aren't any other enduros that time of year I'm aware of. Perfect way to showcase some new stuff...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast