Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Resurrecting Hobbs in Auburn, NH

Does anyone remember the trails that we called Hobbs? They are in the small parcel of land bordered by Rt121, Hooksett Rd and the developments along the RR grade.

For those of you not in the know, this trail system offers a nice supplement to a ride around Massabesic, a ride at FOMBA or a ride at the ledges.

I live on property adjacent to these trails and have been trying to keep them alive for the last several years. In fact, I went out today for the first time this season to clean several of the sections from blow-down.

I did a fairly decent job (I cleared about half of the trails), but found an alarming development. The access trail from the ledges area that crosses Rt121 (the twisty road) used to cross a small brook just before the climb to the (new) house lot.

This brook is now a pond since beavers built a dam where the bridge was. The bridge is now floating in the enlarging pond.

I see a way to re-route the brook crossing down-stream, but the trail that ran along the wetlands is now being consumed by the expanding beaver pond. Since I know it is fruitless to battle the beavers, I would like to re-route this trail on the side of the hill.

If anyone wants to help build a bridge and re-route the trail section, let me know. This trail really offers the only access to Hobbs that is not on private property.

the train keeps rollin
    Yes, Please resurrect Hobbs!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Ha, i went down Hobbs the other day to check it out. Got to the bridge and was wondering where it had gone, that creek is no longer a creek!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The creek will be a large pond soon. I want to re-route the drop to the creek to a downstream location, but upstream from the neighbor's driveway. I then want to re-route the trail on the other side of the creek (pond) to traverse up the hill and stay away from the water.

I am soliciting help for this job. So far, one person has e-mailed me in an offer to help. If you are willing to participate, please let me know.

Tool
    I am willing to help. PM me details of when you'll be out there.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Send me a PM as well when the time comes.

the train keeps rollin
    I'd rather resurrect Hemlock #2.
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    I'd rather resurrect Hemlock #2.
    I really want the Hemlocks back in full as well. Pretty certain that you'll be out riding one day in the spring and everything will just be done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What are the Hemlocks? Do I know them as part of Hobbs, or are they different trails?

customized
    Sep 2003
    Snowdrifter wants his backyard trails fixed up before your backyard trails are fixed up.

The Hemlocks are a set of three trails in Bear Brook. They are very well built and as fun as any around. The park had two of the trails logged and the middle one needs a lot of work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I know the Hemlock trails well. I agree, their demise at the hands of DRED is very unfortunate. I'll gladly pitch in on getting those trails back, but it seems that the quantity of work required to fix Hemlock #2 might be quite high.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, and because NEMBA already has an official presence at BBSP, the Hemlock rework might warrant its own MTBR thread and be taken on as a NEMBA project.

I will continue my crusade to get Hobbs back for the masses. Don't forget, even with the bridge out, I have 100% access to Hobbs from my backyard. I certainly haven't minded tending the trails for the last several years; I just want more riders on them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

ride & trail work tomorrow

I may go out tomorrow PM to walk/tag/prep a proposed re-route. I am even considering an early PM ride. Maybe both.

I'd Huck That....
    Let me know what time ur heading out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I went out today to try to find the best way to re-route the hillside trail above the beaver pond. I seem to have two options, slab along the side of the hill or angle up a little higher just along the foot of the ledge. The first route is probably a little less steep, but will require more ground work (cutting into the side of the hill). The second route is pretty much cleared and smooth, but it is a little steeper.

I also found a flat area about halfway up the hill that will allow the addition of a little more rail length before the second half of the climb (on the old trail).

I still need some help and ideas on bridge building and linking the old trail on the Rt121 side of the brook to the new bridge (to be designed and built).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Missed your post.

I went out this Pm for about an hour. See my other post for details.

I may go out again tomorrow. Give me call on my cell if you are interested (in PM sent last week).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I did about 1 1/2 hrs of trail work on Hobbs. I did about 3/4 of the actual loop that goes right behind Hobbs. I did a pretty decent job of clearing a new stretch down in the corner where they built a house a few years ago (just next door to Hobbs). I also opened up the stretch that goes right next to the house at the top of the hill. It now runs cleanly trough the small wetland and down the hill to the junction of the three loops.

The next time out I will work a re-route of the original first descent that was destroyed by the house and driveway. It will require a little repeat of one trail section, but not much.

After that, all I will need to do in Hobbs itself is clean the last 1/4 of the Hobbs loop. Of course, I still need to do the main re-route along the beaver pond and make a bridge for access.

I also have an idea for a nice rock face drop ............

mtbr member
    I tried sending you a pm but my post count is under 10, soooo, if you look me up on facebook, Ryan Paradis, Candia NH, i will shoot you my cell and we can meetup and have a little shin dig.
    I want to go out there and actually do work, help people out, and make that little gem a gem again!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by dcubed View Post
    I did about 1 1/2 hrs of trail work on Hobbs. I did about 3/4 of the actual loop that goes right behind Hobbs. I did a pretty decent job of clearing a new stretch down in the corner where they built a house a few years ago (just next door to Hobbs). I also opened up the stretch that goes right next to the house at the top of the hill. It now runs cleanly trough the small wetland and down the hill to the junction of the three loops.

The next time out I will work a re-route of the original first descent that was destroyed by the house and driveway. It will require a little repeat of one trail section, but not much.

After that, all I will need to do in Hobbs itself is clean the last 1/4 of the Hobbs loop. Of course, I still need to do the main re-route along the beaver pond and make a bridge for access.

I also have an idea for a nice rock face drop ............

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I cleared the remainder of the Hobbs loop. So, now all the Hobbs trails are free and clear - with the exception of a couple of large trees that will need to be cut with a saw.

I also scoped out a likely stream crossing (needs small bridge) and a trail route along the twisty road side of the brook.

I think I will make two trails on the other side of the brook. One will be for descending and will drop right along the foot of the quarry cliffs just above the beaver pond. The other will be for climbing up the hill and will follow an old game trail. This climbing trail will need a little work near the beaver pond.

I may be going out again in the next couple of days to do more work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Did another trail day at Hobbs. All trails are clear and fully rideable. The trails could use raking, so if you don't know the trails, following them could be tough in spots.

SleepeRst came over and rode the trails with me. We then checked out the two potential hillside trails and bridge location. I hope to flag these routes before snow accumulation so that bikers interested in following the new route, or helping to create the new route, know how to get past the beaver pond.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I went out and finished flagging the re-route. I have placed orange surveyors tape on a planned trail along the creek and up the side of the hill along the foot of the ledge to the old trail. Some more clearing will need to be done and the bridge needs to be put in place, but the route is at least walkable at this point. I tried to fish the old bridge out of the beaver pond, but I could not reach it.

mtbr member
    I will be out there after work this week, i can squeeze in a couple hours here and there. Might just bring in an axe and clear those two downed trees by the old bridge crossing.

the train keeps rollin
    Is the old bridge the funky one, with split log planks hammered to a couple skinny trees?
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, that was a sketchy bridge. Luckily, the new crossing spot is a bit narrower, so even that crappy bridge would probably be ok. It might be moot, however, since I think the old bridge will be frozen in ice by tomorrow. Ideally, I'll probably build a new one, but since time is a premium for me, I am not sure if I can get to it before snow falls.

I'd Huck That....
    Give me a heads up when you plan on heading out again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A co-worker donated some PT materials (4x4s, etc) that I can hopefully build a bridge with. I will likely drop the materials on the entrance trail to Hobbs just off the twisty rd trailhead. If the snow stays around, I can use a sled to drag the materials to the stream (and stay off the abutting property owners driveway).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast