mtbr member

Recommend a Bear Brook route

I'll be riding there tomorrow afternoon and have never been there before. I have the map from http://www.northeastcycling.com/Bear_Brook_Map.pdf but would love for someone to post a good loop I could do. Looking to do a couple hours, mileage doesn't really matter. Thanks in advance!
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Wet

Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    I'll be riding there tomorrow afternoon and have never been there before. I have the map from http://www.northeastcycling.com/Bear_Brook_Map.pdf but would love for someone to post a good loop I could do. Looking to do a couple hours, mileage doesn't really matter. Thanks in advance!
    Hi, I just received some e-mails from Southern NH Nemba--they are having a trail day at Bear Brook tomorrow but more importantly they have cancelled guided rides there this weekend and recommend that riders stay off the trails. I rode Franklin Falls yesterday, see my thread, and recommend the same there, even though it drains well.

mtbr member
    Not trying to be a d!ck...but what is the problem with riding either of those places tomorrow (especially Franklin) if it doesn't rain all morning and into the afternoon?
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    BB will be fine even with the rain! That place will suck up the water.

Route, do hemlock, to beaver pond to lynx, to I trail to bear hills down the backside to hedgehog, hard right out of hedge to Podunk road, left to Hayes field to Carr ridge to cascade, to sentinel pine, left on sentinel pine to little bear to big bear and back to the car. This route assumes you park at hiker biker lot. Hemlock is not on map, so follow paved road up the hill towards beaver pond camp ground, on the left you'll see a sand pit. Go left to the sand pi and on the direct left of it you'll see an entrance up and over a small hump. Follow hemlock and take every left it offers until you hit pitch pine again.

After the nasty climb on Lynx you will come to the Podunk road , go straight across. At the top of the granite take a right down a sharp little descent, follow to the damn, cross the damn and head out on the road, quick left within site of the dam. From there take all the rights till you hit Podunk again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvinnf View Post
    BB will be fine even with the rain! That place will suck up the water.

Route, do hemlock, to beaver pond to lynx, to I trail to bear hills down the backside to hedgehog, hard right out of hedge to Podunk road, left to Hayes field to Carr ridge to cascade, to sentinel pine, left on sentinel pine to little bear to big bear and back to the car. This route assumes you park at hiker biker lot. Hemlock is not on map, so follow paved road up the hill towards beaver pond camp ground, on the left you'll see a sand pit. Go left to the sand pi and on the direct left of it you'll see an entrance up and over a small hump. Follow hemlock and take every left it offers until you hit pitch pine again.

After the nasty climb on Lynx you will come to the Podunk road , go straight across. At the top of the granite take a right down a sharp little descent, follow to the damn, cross the damn and head out on the road, quick left within site of the dam. From there take all the rights till you hit Podunk again.
    Thanks, man! I assume the "hiker/biker" lot is the red "P" on the map I linked just off Podunk rd? It appears the Hayes>Carr>Cascade>sentinel pine portion is not on the map...is this portion easy to navigate, signed? and -- Hemlock is on the map I linked.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you don't know, as apparently you don't, I won't waste my breath.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    What a pile of BS. I asked you a genuine question and you come back with this holier than thou, condescending nonsense? Thanks.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mizzaboom, Sorry for the offense- I just could not grasp that you did not get that what I was saying was that riding muddy trails is bad for the trails. Yes some trails are ridden with mud, but they often are muddy almost any time, so riding does not necessarily do any damage.Places like Franklin and Bear Brook, to some extent, have sandy well drained soils and usually have no mud, even in rainy periods. But riding in mud does further erosion, so it does not help places like Franklin to encourage any erosion. I have ridden Franklin over 100 times in the last 3 seasons and I see more roots, more sub soil exposed, more loose gravel--eventually buff fast, flowey, will be a root fest. Just trying to help the trails. And I do hope you got a good, dry run at Bear Brook today -it has some great trails and is huge. And would Big Bear be that much fun if it was all roots!!

mtbr member
    Mizzaboom, Sorry for the offense- I just could not grasp that you did not get that what I was saying was that riding muddy trails is bad for the trails. Yes some trails are ridden with mud, but they often are muddy almost any time, so riding does not necessarily do any damage.Places like Franklin and Bear Brook, to some extent, have sandy well drained soils and usually have no mud, even in rainy periods. But riding in mud does further erosion, so it does not help places like Franklin to encourage any erosion. I have ridden Franklin over 100 times in the last 3 seasons and I see more roots, more sub soil exposed, more loose gravel--eventually buff fast, flowey, will be a root fest. Just trying to help the trails. And I do hope you got a good, dry run at Bear Brook today -it has some great trails and is huge. And would Big Bear be that much fun if it was all roots!!
    This post is a joke! Trying to help the trails. Whatever, google "save the planet" by George Carlin. Your only interested in your own little piece of Humana. I suppose the "conservationists", only harvested the sheet out of The red pine to stop some beetle scourge. Right, thanks for the education!

mtbr member
    What kind of a self consumed a-hole responds to someone like this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    hahahah... Mizza!! this aint PT brah ! ... Anyway, dying to know if you rode that loop sucka!

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone missed it:http://www.northeastcycling.com/Bear_Brook_Map.pdf The best most current BB map I know of, but missing lots of new stuff.
    Here's an idea- what if everyone who does trailwork gets a nice current map including the trails they just built ?

mtbr member
    I have taken numerous GPS records and merged them into OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap. You can view this map using a smart phone (Maprika works great) while you ride. The map has all 2013 new trail work. MTB trails are marked in blue (your goal would be to ride them all eventually) but bridle trails are fun filler too.
    OpenStreetMap

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Catmount has two of the best views I think I've ever seen, but the ride up or down the Cascade side, not to mention Cascade itself is just brutal. For me it's unridable. I wish there was a through trail down the trailer lot side, but at the moment your only choices are that and then RT. 28, the Cascade side or back down the way you came.

Still - the views....

Southeast facing (no, I'm not peeing)

Recommend a Bear Brook route-img00994-20130928-1239.jpg

Northwest facing

Recommend a Bear Brook route-img00997-20130928-1255.jpg
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    Gotta agree with you there. The only possible climb to the top (for me at least) is from the trailer park side. I leave that peak to the hikers. With a few reroutes I think the cascade peak could be rideable, but there's no view from up there. Catamount needs serious work to be a MTB peak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hopefully some day NEMBA or someone else adds a trail between the trailer park side of Catamount and lost. That valley looks fantastic, and honestly the climb up the one mile road side (the one that does not go past Cascade) isn't that bad. Leg burning as all hell, but still rideable.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    NEMBA has a 5 year plan or something. I don't know if this is on it...but there will be plenty of new stuff to ride if the state doesn't get in the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It'd be a shame if they did. I plan to sign up, so maybe I'll end up helping out.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er