mtbr member

Ramblin Vewe Farm, another great option!

I got shown the trail network at Ramblin Vewe Farm yesterday in Gilford, NH and am very glad the work is being done at this place. It just adds another option for off-road fun. Thanks to Eric at Chain Line Cycles for giving me the tour, and building me the new Arch EX rear wheel (which is what brought me up there from Concord last night). With the light mist I did not get any pics or video, but will make get some next time when it is dry.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. Can you give directions...say, from downtown Laconia? Also, about how many miles of riding and tech level of the trails? Thanks!
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ramblinvewe farm--take Rt. 11-A ( Gilford Ave.) off Rt. 3 in Laconia toward Gilford; in a quarter mile or so pass piche's ski & bike on left, take next left onto Stone Rd., about 1/4 mile take a right on Morrill St., follow Morrill until it passes over Gilford/Laconia Bypass, immediately take a right onto Boyd Hill Rd., follow to parking lot at end. There usually are fabulous maps at kiosk. To preview online go to maps at cnhnemba.org--that is Central NH Chapter of nemba. Ramblinvewe is one big hill with 5 singletrack built in last year and doubletrack connecting everything--maybe 10 miles all together. New downhill singletrack (farm junk) starts at beginning of Das Claw at #3 on Red Trail and goes all the way to bottom of hill at #1 parking lot, about 1 1/2 miles. Lots of up and down, flowey, and neat rock features. The whole hill has about 300 vert.

mtbr member
    Thanks damnation! I've ridden with Eric over the years and he's introduced me to Liberty Hill, the bypass trail and Ahern...all of which were made better by him and his crew. I did see mention of this on his Facebook page, but have not been to Gilford for riding in awhile. Sounds like the beginning of some sweet "hero dirt" close to other good riding!
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    NH Mtbiker---Don't know if you follow the Central NH Nemba doings. Things in the works to make Franklin area somewhat of a mtb "mecca"...all within 15 miles you would have Franklin Falls Dam, Page Hill in Hill just north of Franklin, highlands Bike park ( heading for 20 miles of free xc singletrack), Ahern State park, Ramblinvewe, a contract with City of Franklin to build trails in West franklin at town ski area, and agreement to build trails on land near the Tilton exit. Think I will have to move south from Thornton!! OH --and damnation is 3 elderly devotees of the Dam.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Sounds good. Can you give directions...say, from downtown Laconia? Also, about how many miles of riding and tech level of the trails? Thanks!
    Luckily Damnation replied with directions, because I just followed Eric up from Chain Line Cycles, and had no clue. The trails remind me of Franklin Falls with more climbing. The trail are definitely fun and any true mtn bike will like them. There were some good sized jumps for the people who like those. I really enjoyed the fact that it was something different, flowed, climbed, and has the backing of the land owner and people willing to build the singletrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Offrhodes, Yes Franklin but with rocks. Have not ridden the full length of "Farm junk" but it should be a combo of Eric and Chainline and the Central Nemba group. Better check out Page Hill, it ups the altitude and mountain feel. I live in Thornton, where are you. Dam 1

mtbr member
    Damnation, I am in Concord. Jesse showed my brother and I around Page Hill last Fall (with a fresh layer of snow on the ground) and I also volunteered on on of the first trail trail days there. I need to hit the Plymouth area again as it is been a long, long time since I have ridden there (class of '96 from Plymouth State).

mtbr member
    Tonight at 6pm from Boyd Hill parking lot we are hitting the trails again.

mtbr member
    Hey offrhodes42. How was the riding near Plymouth State? I remember watching a DH race off Tenney Mtn. after my college years there, 95 to 96! Never did make it out on the local trails though...too busy hittin the local bars in those days. Page Hill looks real good but have not have the chance to ride it yet. I grew up around Franklin and used to ski Veterans and Highlands way back before mtn bikes were even a blip on the screen. Would love to see the Lakes Region get a solid foothold and embrace the mtn bike scene like if seems to be! The ski area in West Franklin is like a mini Highlands and a trail system, even a small one, would probably help the weak economy in that area. I would be glad to give a hand with that trail project if it even comes to fruition...time will tell.
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

mtbr member
    Plymouth back in the mid 90's had lots of options. There were the powerlines in Holderness, Peaked Pond, Plymouth Mtn, Crawford and Livermore Ridge Poles, and little trails in Fox Park and Langdon (behind the high school) to name a few. From what I have heard it is completely different now and I would need a guide to show me the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Last nights ride. Still a little damp from all the rain last weekend, but the next few days should dry it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Plymouth back in the mid 90's had lots of options. There were the powerlines in Holderness, Peaked Pond, Plymouth Mtn, Crawford and Livermore Ridge Poles, and little trails in Fox Park and Langdon (behind the high school) to name a few. From what I have heard it is completely different now and I would need a guide to show me the new stuff.
    Plymouth has a great trail network, No biking on Plymouth Mt and Walter Newton trails any more But you could still spend the day on single track in fox park. Rhino Bike works has mtb rides Wednessday afternoon 5:30 and weekends give em a call
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My friend showed me a trail in Plymouth, up Beech Hill Rd this spring. It's about a 2-3 mile downhill run. It was my first time doing an actual biking trail and I had a blast. The trails are nice because you can make your run as difficult or easy as you want to, so there is something for everyone. There are plenty of man made and natural features to keep things interesting for someone who is looking for anything more intense. Or if you are like me, you can simply go around and look at it all in awe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aberth802 View Post
    My friend showed me a trail in Plymouth, up Beech Hill Rd this spring.
    Is this a public trail? Where's the trailhead?

JDM
    mtbr member
    The recap from the latest trail day at Page Hill is up in the club's site (see my signature for a link). We also have a map of trails heads and several trail maps on the site.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    Is this a public trail? Where's the trailhead?
    Almost 100% positive it is private, but I got the impression plenty of the local bikers around the area know about it. They want to keep the location discrete though. PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My wife, dog and I have so much fun riding Ramblin View. The trail builders have done a great job with the flow.

mtbr member
    Almost 100% positive it is private, but I got the impression plenty of the local bikers around the area know about it. They want to keep the location discrete though. PM me
    YES THESE TRAILS ARE PRIVATE! And every one and their mothers know about it, and the land owner is starting to get pissed with all the traffic. The trails are about to get shut down. Please, please don't put these trails online anywhere. A few peps have put Years into these trails, and we are about to lose them. Besides the land owner is logging a major part of the trail network. So I advise any one who knows about these trails, please keep it to your self, and don't do any riding around the logging or when they are logging during the day. If they have to doge bikers or hikers with their logging trucks, skidders, chainsaws, dropping trees its done for sure. Please respect the hard work others put into this. thanks,(not trying to be a jerk, but this is stressing me put )

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What are you talking about--Page Hill, Ramblinvewe, or what--talking about shutting down is serious-- Everybody is so touchey...Is it not just Bike Riding....Damnation

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    YES THESE TRAILS ARE PRIVATE! And every one and their mothers know about it, and the land owner is starting to get pissed with all the traffic. The trails are about to get shut down. Please, please don't put these trails online anywhere. A few peps have put Years into these trails, and we are about to lose them. Besides the land owner is logging a major part of the trail network. So I advise any one who knows about these trails, please keep it to your self, and don't do any riding around the logging or when they are logging during the day. If they have to doge bikers or hikers with their logging trucks, skidders, chainsaws, dropping trees its done for sure. Please respect the hard work others put into this. thanks,(not trying to be a jerk, but this is stressing me put )
    Sorry for adding to your stress, I'll keep the info to myself. I'm new to biking but it was easy to see how much work went into those trails. They were well maintained and seemed to be frequently used, which is why I was under the impression the trails were open to others.

I'm not in Plymouth anymore and I have only been up there once but is there anything we could do to help keep the trails open? Other than what you have already mentioned that is. I know keeping things discrete is important, but it seems that many of the bikers using the trails aren't aware of the issues.

mtbr member
    Sorry for adding to your stress, I'll keep the info to myself. I'm new to biking but it was easy to see how much work went into those trails. They were well maintained and seemed to be frequently used, which is why I was under the impression the trails were open to others.

I'm not in Plymouth anymore and I have only been up there once but is there anything we could do to help keep the trails open? Other than what you have already mentioned that is. I know keeping things discrete is important, but it seems that many of the bikers using the trails aren't aware of the issues.
    Dude it is what it is. I'm not trying to be a jerk telling people what to do. It's not my land.

It was built over the years, by a few people and only a few people knew about it. Than more people found out about it, but most didn't like the trails because they were too hard(?) for the bikes than hard tails with V brakes. And the trail was much rougher.

Last year someone marked the hole trail every 10 feet with pink tape, raked out the trail like a highway at trail junctions. Two years ago I ran into a huge group of women with dogs hiking the trail during hunting season. I know for a fact the land owner and his family use the land to hunt. So we would only use the trail at night during that time of the year.

If you know about the trail enjoy it, use it. But keep it to yourself and respect the land owner and those that put all the hard work build it.

Sorry rant over.
    Pease

JDM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    What are you talking about--Page Hill, Ramblinvewe, or what--talking about shutting down is serious-- Everybody is so touchey...Is it not just Bike Riding....Damnation
    damnation, the stress above is about a riding location in Plymouth that is on private land.

Both Page Hill and Ramblin' Vewe are legitimate riding locations that have been developed with land owner permission.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Riding a bicycle around on dirt is serious ****ing bizness. Maybe I do need a carbon fiber water bottle holder.