Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rain in Vermont last night / now?

I'm planning on driving down to Vermont this morning to spend the weekend there. My first stop would be Waterbury, unless the trails are wet. I know that as of yesterday, there wasn't much that was rideable without causing dammage, but I don't know what kind of conditions you guys have right now.

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    I'm planning on driving down to Vermont this morning to spend the weekend there. My first stop would be Waterbury, unless the trails are wet. I know that as of yesterday, there wasn't much that was rideable without causing dammage, but I don't know what kind of conditions you guys have right now.

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz
    I can't speak for Waterbury but I rode PHP yesterday and it was approx 95% mud free and ready to go.

mtbr member
    Thanks jlkvt, but PHP is now off limits for us, they are apparently having dog issues over there, and we always have our lab ride with us. We really enjoyed PHP every time we went there, it has always been very pleasant but the same thing is happening here on busier trails, totally understandable.

Thanks

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Thanks jlkvt, but PHP is now off limits for us, they are apparently having dog issues over there, and we always have our lab ride with us. We really enjoyed PHP every time we went there, it has always been very pleasant but the same thing is happening here on busier trails, totally understandable.

Thanks
    Stowe Mountain Bike > HOME

stowe seems to be drying out....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It was wet all over the state earlier in the week, but yesterday there was a big, heavy swath of rain which rolled through but stopped just south of Burlington and tracked East so it was dry here all day. Waterbury is right on the edge of that line as well so may have done fine but I imagine Stowe and other places north of that line are having a chance to dry out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Stowe is bone dry today. Morrisville got rained on super hard. The storms last night were really spotty, so check before you go or be ready to walk.

mtbr member

Rain in Vermont last night / now?

Hi guys, decided not to go after all. We haven't had any rain here since Wednesday evening, so the trail are getting better here. Still can't wait to go back to beautiful Vermont....

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Hi, I'm I'm in Burlington this week, visiting from Colorado, and I had been hoping to get out and explore the local trails, or any Vermont trails for that matter. With all this rain, and more forecasted Thurs and Fri, is there any place that's rideable without doing damage?

I looked up the Kingdom Trails even though it's farther out from here, and they are reporting that 70% of their trails are open but "saturated." I'd really like to get a taste of Vermont riding, but I don't want to mess up the trails.

Are there places that dry out quickly or may have missed the rain?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How about the Green Mountain Trails outside of Killington? I was hoping to ride there Saturday and Killington Bike park on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Heading to KT next week and nothing but possibility of rain in the forecast up to then. Hopefully some of this will miss KT and I will get some decent riding in.

mtbr member
    Green Mountain Trails are getting doused like everywhere else. And with the forecast, things are not looking too good for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Everything is saturated around Burlington/Chittenden County right now. We've had a 24 hour reprieve, but we are supposed to get heavy rain/showers for the next few days. Not looking good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Do these trails get shut down, or how do they generally handle water? We are camping in Killington for the weekend, maybe we will move the GMT ride from Sat to Monday?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Vermont is a swamp right now. Great conditions for riding dirt roads with a cyclocross bike with two big fenders. Wettest June I can remember. Plus we have another 3-4" on the way tonight, with a Flood Watch being issued for most of Vermont.

Best way to find out about updated trail conditions (other than a phone call) is to "like" the VMBA club chapter pages or organization pages on facebook - it seems like a lot of them post trail updates through social media more regularly than on websites.

All in all, looks like awesome weather for canoeing or kayaking.

Rain in Vermont last night / now?-bike.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain in Vermont last night / now?-bike.jpg  

Last edited by Scharny; 06-27-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    "Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go. We just ride." - Robert Hunter

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information, guys. I was afraid it might be a wash all week. Oh well, I'll just have to wait until I get back to Colorado. Good to know it's not normally this wet.

May your trails dry out soon.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Rode trapps/adams camp before the new round of rain and the singletrack was not soft at all. after this rain not sure. trapps has pretty much armored their singletrack to the point of nearly being a crushed gravel road in places. If your jonesing to ride I suggest going up there. its 10 miles of super flowly trail.

there is also a race supporting the ski museum on sunday. the singletrack will be surprising good. The course cover a good bit of singletrack.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Trapps epic race loops Recon near Stowe | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    KT posted a weekend video update on their page this morning. They say 70% of trails will be open rain or shine. They also said teh lift will be turning weather permitting.

mtbr member
    edit
    Last edited by sandman012; 06-28-2013 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Killington is wet, wet, wet. I imagine Pittsfield is not much better off. Pine Hill isn't too technical, but it dries out amazingly fast. Don't give up, since all three trail networks are within 20 min of each other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Green Mountain Trails facebook page posted the trails are shut down for the weekend. A real bummer...especially considering the rain hasn't come and looks to be less than anticipated.

I talked to Ben at Killington Bike Park and the mountain will be open as scheduled with most of the trails being open. He mentioned a few trails wont be open like 7-33-34.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    The Green Mountain Trails facebook page posted the trails are shut down for the weekend. A real bummer...especially considering the rain hasn't come and looks to be less than anticipated.
    We may not have gotten the rain they predicted last night into today, but there still has been a ton of rain in the past week. Everything is likely to be super soggy still.

mtbr member
    I walked a few sections of Green Mountain Trails this afternoon and I have to say that I was pretty encouraged by how wet it was not.(Green Trail the only exception) I'm going to have a ride around tomorrow and post on the page what I find. There may be hope after all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    was thinking of a last minute dash to the Trapp Lodge race (just need to figure out if i'm up for the 3.5 hour drive)....any up to the minute report on the trails there in terms of conditions? i've also never ridden there - is it rather fast and flowy? (kinda hoping so, as 26 miler is def the upper limits of any race i've done). Hoping it's not gnarly and soul sucking...

mtbr member
    The final word is that yes we are open (not that we have a gate or anything) and what I rode looks great with the exception of Green Trail which is looking a bit worse because we are doing lots of work on it and I'm guessing the top of Warman will also be somewhat sloppy. Green Trail will be looking better than it ever has by midweek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast