Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

props to east burke sports and kingdom (upperjbar to burnham down)

Just wanted to throw out some props to east burke sports, called yesterday morning with a broken XO rear trigger shifter (yes, broken, no crash, just stopped working) they hooked me up within an hour with a new x9 and got me going able to ride while I was up there for the weekend for the triathalon up cannon mt.

then the riding... only had an hour so... had the wife drop me off at the top of burke and road jbar down to burnham down and back into town etc... if it wasn't for my mechanical breakdown I would've had more time to ride... Jbar was dryer than I've ever seen it, and upper jbar has never been open while I was up there so I had to hit it. Props to the builders especially on burnham down, can't believe all the bridge work very unique... then off to heavens bench for a picnic with the fam... I have to say, I don't really care what people say about other areas.. I haven't found a place better than east burke I love it more every time I go...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Got A Lust for Life...
    My sentiments exactly.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    +2, burnham is one of my favorite trails. I haven't been able to get up to the summit yet though...I really need to just cough up the $7 for a shuttle. Took DMA down and it really wasn't very fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    HOLY $HIT MANCH!

that has GOT to be the most glass half full report i've EVER heard from ya!

the mountain side is pretty dang good. burn'em rocked on the cross bike!

rog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you like Burnam, then you have to hit JAWS, its got a lot of boardwork too but its pretty weak as a double diamond ride.
    Just finished my 16th day on the mountain, we came down the same time last year for 8 days and liked it enough to repeat.
    BUT I will admit, I'm pretty much considering KT ridden "out" by my wife and I....riding 15miles or less daily(with the wife) for a week ends up with a lot of repeat rides and rides just to pickup some tiny trail we missed and of course riding everything within reason,backwards...obviously us geriatric riders dont ride up trails like Tap and Die, although I'm sure we've pushed up everything we couldnt ride.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You should have gone up just a bit more( I pushed up from below the campsite 4 times in one day last year and I'm 60+, so its not that hard) and taken Dead Moose Alley down, its pretty rough and has a few fairly interesting turns. Lets put it this way, it pounded the dueky out of my AM ride and its pretty plush. Was looking forward to riding it this visit on my DH rig, which is also my (only)trail bike but I ended up riding a LOT with the wife and sessioning Moose Alley on the next hill over 114

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    +2, burnham is one of my favorite trails. I haven't been able to get up to the summit yet though...I really need to just cough up the $7 for a shuttle. Took DMA down and it really wasn't very fun.

mtbr member
    How much gnarlier is burnham down compared to jaws?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain48 View Post
    it isn't.

mtbr member

X 2 on Kingdom Trails/East Burke....

...never lets us down....even in wet weather a few years back...and the begining of Hurricane Irene last year.......we do try to throw in some hiking, swimming at Willoughby, a trip to Louis Garneau to break up a 3 day trip there.....a ride at Millstone to really makes things interesting ....we have a trip planned labor day weekend again this year......
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    May 2008

east burke sports

More props to the guys at the shop for saving our day of riding when they came up with a missing cog for my buddy's cassette, and gratis at that! We just finished our 3rd trip to KTA this past weekend and each time we've had great riding, great weather, and a great ice cream at the end of a long day (go Chappy's!). I'm already looking forward to our 4th visit later this month. We are all very fortunate to have KTA to play in.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    When I said Jaws was weak, I wasn't implying Burnham was better, just didn't want to make it sound like Jaws was super even though its fun, if you want gnarly, you have to ride the bike park top trails like upper JBar and the DH/FR stuff

mtbr member
    burnham down isn't really gnarly or super insane fast or anything, it's just very unique the way they've built the bridging just feels like a whole different place... to go from the top of burke from super steap on upper jbar to stupid fast on lower jbar, and then hit burnham down for a really unique trail was just really cool. It was an awesome weekend.. doin the top notch tri up cannon is always a crazy challenge, then relaxing in the river in the afternoon, campfires at night and then burke on sunday despite the mechanical breakdown and a picnic to follow with my girls at heavens bench just made for an awesome weekend with so much awesome scenery... as others have said, we really do live in a cool area
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    When I said Jaws was weak, I wasn't implying Burnham was better, just didn't want to make it sound like Jaws was super even though its fun, if you want gnarly, you have to ride the bike park top trails like upper JBar and the DH/FR stuff
    Cool I have ridden Jaws and found it to be not that challenging other than the last ten feet of the final bridge or so. Thanks for your answer but you bring up another question is upper jbar doable on a 29er hardtail? not asking if its ideal for a hard tail just wondering if its to gnarly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    burnham down isn't really gnarly or super insane fast or anything, it's just very unique the way they've built the bridging just feels like a whole different place... to go from the top of burke from super steap on upper jbar to stupid fast on lower jbar, and then hit burnham down for a really unique trail was just really cool. It was an awesome weekend.. doin the top notch tri up cannon is always a crazy challenge, then relaxing in the river in the afternoon, campfires at night and then burke on sunday despite the mechanical breakdown and a picnic to follow with my girls at heavens bench just made for an awesome weekend with so much awesome scenery... as others have said, we really do live in a cool area
    my buddy finished 58th on that top notch tri

mtbr member
    May 2007
    is upper jbar doable on a 29er hardtail? not asking if its ideal for a hard tail just wondering if its to gnarly?
    Yes you can. If it's your first time down the trail, no shame in stoping to look at a spot if you roll up to it with less than full confidence. Most of my riding group made it down on all different sorts of machine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You should have gone up just a bit more( I pushed up from below the campsite 4 times in one day last year and I'm 60+, so its not that hard) and taken Dead Moose Alley down, its pretty rough and has a few fairly interesting turns. Lets put it this way, it pounded the dueky out of my AM ride and its pretty plush. Was looking forward to riding it this visit on my DH rig, which is also my (only)trail bike but I ended up riding a LOT with the wife and sessioning Moose Alley on the next hill over 114
    Sorry, got confused. Dead moose alley is what we took down. Fun trail but I think it would be more fun with about 30% fewer switchbacks and just a degree more decline. Despite the elevation drop, it felt like a flat trail. I dig the terrain, I just didn't like the trail after 16 miles hillside.

Burnham isn't a gnarly trail, really. The upper half is bridges which are nice and wide, and are probably rideable by anybody who could ride any other "blue square" trail. It's just that the bottom half is sooooooooo flowy and fun. It's the perfect degree of decline so you can go as fast as you like without spontaneously combusting and also get up the small inclines with ease. It reminds me quite a bit of webs and old webs or even tap'n.

JAW is just a pain in the backside, literally. Lots of roots, rooty climbs, bridges that shrink, and more roots. It's a challenging trail for sure.

I bought a seasons so I'll hopefully force myself to get up there at least two more times.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just to freshen up your memory......the end of the last boardworks...the last ten feet is nothing but that curve before it only gives you an inch to spare and then there are the two trees right there just to keep you honest

Cool I have ridden Jaws and found it to be not that challenging other than the last ten feet of the final bridge or so. Thanks for your answer but you bring up another question is upper jbar doable on a 29er hardtail? not asking if its ideal for a hard tail just wondering if its to gnarly?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails props to east burke sports and kingdom (upperjbar to burnham down)-2012-08-03-16.07.29.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009

Moose Alley

After spending 3 hrs on my last day there trying to find the Golden Trail(other side of Burke Mt) with directions from a local in the Sport shop and climbing 1720' for nothing, I decided to salvage the ride and day by ending up with a maximum speed blast down Moose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails props to east burke sports and kingdom (upperjbar to burnham down)-2012-08-05-17.29.35.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hehe, try Jaws backwards for a real challange, my bike is pointing UP the trail cause thats how I rode it first

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post

JAW is just a pain in the backside, literally. Lots of roots, rooty climbs, bridges that shrink, and more roots. It's a challenging trail for sure.

I bought a seasons so I'll hopefully force myself to get up there at least two more times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After spending 3 hrs on my last day there trying to find the Golden Trail(other side of Burke Mt) with directions from a local in the Sport shop and climbing 1720' for nothing, I decided to salvage the ride and day by ending up with a maximum speed blast down Moose
    is that some kind of ultra secret trail for locals only? Seems silly with the quality of the other 99%

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Naw, its just something I had not already ridden a dozen times like the rest of KT...word is the state came in several years ago, put in a killer trail suitable for 4 wheelers with no less than 30 bridges then abandoned it. Local guy said it was a great ride despite being more like double track.
    Another attraction was it is supposed to be 6-8 miles long...with another trail even longer which runs into the CCC road in the upper Kirby road area.
    Also its one of the few ways one can ride completely around Burke Mt on real trails instead of CCC roads/firetrails. There is supposedly a route off Golden that allows one to ride the Southern side of Burke at a somewhat low altitude, which reduces the climbing to merely epic.
    So I poked around Victory Rd for a while, found a gated entrance that matched the hand drawn map I had. After climbing/pushing(10%/90%) well over half way to the summit I found this at the dead end:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails props to east burke sports and kingdom (upperjbar to burnham down)-2012-08-05-16.41.07.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice house! I want to live there, surrounded by VT singletrack.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    super cozy house but zero view...just woods in your face. It looks pretty new. and I guarantee you, nothing less than a 4WD jeep can handle the grade of the road in good conditions. One rain and you'll not make it until it dries out

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just commute on ya' bike!

edit: I bet it's actually a demo ski chalet. I bet there will be 30 more in two years with a road getting to them...

mtbr member
    May 2009

Outlying trails, bushwacking etc

So as you might guess, I get bored riding the same trails so I spent a far amount of time riding the XC ski trails(seems like Frost Hill goes everywhere) and undocumented stuff.
    We stayed on the mountain at Spucewood(just below the MidBurke Lodge) and I found a good setup was to ride down the road to Dashney Rd and follow that to Trillium then Magill
    fields. From there you can access the XC trails and Moose Alley. I actually ran half way down Moose on most of my outings and pushed back up. Thats because from Magill, its all downhill to Mountain Rd, and not too bad of a climb up Mountain Rd to Sprucewood. About 30 mins total to return
    On my failed attempt to find the Golden Trail I even ended up bushwacking 1/2 mile of bog with bull rushed/weeds over my head cause it was too hard to back track and slogging thru 4" of stagnant water seemed the lesser evil
    So what about you guys? Any adventures?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast