mtbr member

Possibly moving to Maine...

Hey everyone,

Possibly looking into moving to Maine within the next 12 months. I work in anesthesia (made obvious by my screen name) and will be in the Bangor area.

I'm hoping there are some good trail systems in the area. I ride epics, endurance racing and XC riding/racing. Are there any trail systems in the area? If not, how far of of a drive.
    Also I'm coming from Florida, yes I know, culture shock is inevitable.....how long is a typical riding/racing season there.

Thanks in advance. Oh, if anyone knows of other info, such as good schools (grade school) and Elite Level Gymnastics facilities in the area I'll take info on that too.

Thanks again!!!

mtbr member
    I just want to point out that city-data.com is an awesome resource for moving info. Good luck up there, you'll need it.

sinner
    Jan 2007
    There is a pretty large riding scene in the Bangor area. Most of the trails and going to be more rooty and rocky compared to what you are used to. It will take a bit to get your upper body working the right way. We ride from when the snow leaves(aprilish) to when it starts falling(dec). There is at least 50 miles of trail in the greater area. A lot of it can be linked together to make big rides.

I know of at least 7 or 8 other doc's who ride and race so you could meet some guys to ride w/ at work pretty easily. 2 are anesthesiologist's that rip pretty hard.

It does get cold in the winter and we have a long bug season. But its Maine.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    I just want to point out that city-data.com is an awesome resource for moving info. Good luck up there, you'll need it.
    Why will he need luck?

mtbr member
    I live in Orono, a few miles outside of Bangor. We have trails that run through 4 towns-Bangor-Veazie-Orono-Old Town. They all interconnect and maps are available. The area has an active riding scene. Ski Rack (Bangor) and Rose bike(Orono) are 2 local shops you should check out. I am a teacher in the Bangor area and there are many great school systems- Bangor, Orono, Old Town, Hampden, Holden, Orrington, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you have a cross bike, the carriage roads in Acadia National Park, are really really nice. Not mountain biking, but fun in a more roadie sorta way.

mtbr member
    I also know some guys who take Pugsleys out on the snowmobile trails in the winter...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Why will he need luck?
    I don't know how to put it without getting into a whole thing; but i found inland Maine to have a weird born and raised attitude towards outsiders. Not overwhelmingly so, and nothing to do with this board or the riding scene.

But the shock of moving from FL to upstate ME is going to hit on so many levels.

mtbr member
    IDbrian, you are right, there are some negetive attitudes toward people who ove here form "away." I'm not sure if Bangor might be a bit better, since it's a "city."

I work in Newport, near Bangor, but I live an hour to the west and do my riding there. I had wondered if there were any good trails out that way, and I'm glad to hear there are. The rocks and roots will take some getting used to as will the MUD in April-June. Some people do ride year round. I'm not one of them, though I would like to be some day.

Good luck with the move.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Yeah, those guys up north are pretty harsh towards outsiders. Don't ask for directions, that's for sure. Should've moved to Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hello all,

I just moved to southern maine in the cornish area. ..no negative attitudes yet...everyone has been really friendly.They've even given me directions when lost Now if only I could find someone to point me to some trails...

mtbr member
    The Maine attitude i was referring to wasn't so much as mean, but more of just not excited about outsiders. More of just caught up in being born and raised there.

On my first trip to the LL Bean store a guy with a Maine shirt on walked by and an employee asked if he needed help with directions around the store and he responded "oh that's ok, i'm from Gorham." I laughed.

cranktankerous Mainer
    Girls from Canada excite me.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have lived all up the eastern coast, and now live in Lewiston, ME I have to say the roots up here are something else. I do enjoy the riding though, its a lot like where I grew up and learned to ride (north Georgia). The people in Maine are some of the nicest and down to earth I have met (as a rule). There are a ton of trails in central/southern Maine where I ride (Lewiston to Portland) they are just kinda "underground" the best place to find the good trails are from local bike shops. Most have group rides and also offer maps. Good luck and enjoy the mud!