mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Portland for a month

I'm going to be in Portland for a month and I'm trying to figure out what I should bring for a bike.

I've got an NS surge with a zoke 66 sporting a 1x9
    Or
    Banshee Wildcard with zoke 66rc3, it's a 2x9 but a lot heavier than the surge.

I'm always game for any type of riding, but I'd really like to hit a lift resort while I'm up there (late september to late october)
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Not familiar with those bikes. Are they DH, XC, AM, etc?

Most of the stuff around portland(within 30min) is XC with limited vertical. Bradbury state park(east side) is probably the best as the trails have been developed with biker input and assistance.

Sunday river is about 1.75 hours but I am not sure how late in the season they run the lifts.

Check in with Allspeed bike shop for local info and weekly rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wildcard 7" "slopestyle" bike, somewhere between AM and FR

Surge is a 6" HT, little lighter build than the Wildcard, but its overly built as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You should definitely check out the north shore Mass area. Go to the Mass forum and track down Bill W.

mtbr member
    If you want lift service go to Highlands mt. Bike park in N.H. it's about 2hrs away from Portland. It's the best DH around

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is the DH too much for a HT (or at least too much to really enjoy?)

I just blew my seals on my big bikes fork, I might not be able to fix it before I leave, but I could swap my old 66 over and put my rigid fork on the hardtail, make it more of an XC ride.

mtbr member
    Bring a xc bike to Portland. Sunday river bike park is only open weekends and closes the first weekend in oct. the remainder of portland riding would be a drag on a dh bike. The sr bike park is very steep, rooty, rocky, big drops. The blue runs are hard. I think big bike is preferred.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Camden Snow Bowl (1.5 hrs from Portland) will be spinning the lifts a bit in Oct. Check here for details. Camden Maine (Snow Bowl) Lift serve riding

Folks ride anything from rigid single speed to full DH bikes there.