Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Planning trip to Stowe and Waterburry... trails closed ???

Hi! We are planning for an unorganized first trip to stowe and a second to waterburry. I read that a lot of people here love Stowe BUT it seems that I can't find a good video of their trails. I only see beginner trails :s

We loved waterburry last year for its all-mountain spirit, it's not really technical, but so much fun. We bought the local map of Stowe's trails last year, FYI.

Well, I also read that Stowe and Waterburry are closed? For real? I admit that we also had a lot of rain in Québec too, so it's not that surprising. But it's deceiving :'( Does any locals give me a hint about the trails conditions?

We are on vacantion right now and we planned to leave on monday. What a deception to read the word ''closed''

Well, that said, do you have nice vid about Stowe? Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Last night we had something resembling a tornado and hurricane put together. I don't know what the actual trail conditions, but they can't be good.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    this morning ride after the squall was pretty good trail surface lots of trees and branches down though sadly...

trails are open though...

mtbr member
    Just go the old-fashioned way and explore the trails (when open). Previewing with video is over-rated. Bring a small saw to help out with any small blowdowns from last night's wind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    really nice video! Where is it?

mtbr member
    Ahh, the wipe out videos..They help while I count the scabs, fresh strawberries, bumps and bruises I've aquired so far this summer. I had to sit and get fat for two months of not riding after bouncing my tailbone off a rock this winter. I should take up fishing, but how much fun would that be? That's some ballsy riding Davevt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That was all Stowe and Waterbury from 10 (yikes) years ago. The stunts are all gone but some of the drops are still around. Actually, some of the freeride stuff is in the proposal for the cady hill town forrest trails...including the big step own. Interesting to see how that unfolds. All the rest of the stuff is typical Stowe, add 10+ miles of fun, benched, flowy, slightly less tech trail since this was filmed...Trapps, Kimmers/Hardy Haul, Piple line, Sterling and the town loops thanks to Hardy Avery (the dude I followed insanely close to) and sustainable trail works. Alot of stuff in this vid was illegal when we were riding it. Thanks to recent efforts by the Stowe Land Trust and tireless efforts by far-too-small-a-group of people in the SMBC. High fives to you peoples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    all right then! We gonna leave by saturday morning here at +/- 4ham. Sooo, we expect to be in a trail at 9-10ham. If some people are interested to ride with some crazy canucks, I'll give you more information about our trip. We used to ride technical stuff.

For now the plan is to ride 1 day in stowe, 1 day at waterburry(2nd time), 1 maybe 2 at KT.

thanks for the informations!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Things should be pretty good by the weekend, The chainsaw crews have been going non-stop for days. I just put on a new chain and am heading out in a few.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you like techy riding you should skip one day at KT and ride Millstone...... hit screamin demon, rollercoaster, herrington ridge and herrington heights...as well as some of the more xc stuff like locomotion, fellowship ring, ect. Some of the coolest trails in the east, wth some real pro work being done on the new stuff, and some classic NE singletrack as well. A good option if waterbury is closed for wetness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    yeah I know about Millstone, we've been there last year (East hereford, millstone and waterburry). The techy parts of millstone are really great, but, do I want to do so much milleage for the 3-4 tracks... hum... Still have to say that the techys are realllllly great! I had a too smal for me Anthem 2010 and now I got a bit-big Rumblefishpro 2013 with 2 ChunkyMonkey

For the Stowe's trail, is there any place that we can pay a daily fee for cheering up the Chainsaw crew? Or a paypal account? We a wonderful site over here that hold up because of the free-work and daily passes. Have a look for the Sentiers du Moulin on facebook or youtube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SMBC accepts donations via PayPal here: Donate

Alternatively you could become a member and get a sweet sticker or two out of the deal if you visit one of the shops with some sort of proof you're paid up. Stowe Mountain Bike > MEMBERS > REGISTRATION

Enjoy the trails, please be kind to the soft/wet areas (ie, walk them and take a sip of water or two), and keep your eyes peeled for debris and blowdowns. Locals, SMBC trailworkers, and pro builders usually keep all trails clear- but like Epic said we got hit with a freak storm the other day.

Enjoy the riding!
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Do any copies of Sniggle Unrest exist locally anymore? I've just been inspired to go shred Charlie's
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsingletrack View Post
    Do any copies of Sniggle Unrest exist locally anymore? I've just been inspired to go shred Charlie's
    I think in Lincoln. Or maybe Lowell...one last VHS tape...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    to be back on topic

can you confirm me that it is possible to do the Stowe trails in 1 time in 1 day? If not, which site would you skip?

We are now going on a 4 days trip... 1 waterburry, 1 stowe... maybe 1 in KT, but I rather try something new. Burlington? some idea?

for now, the roadtrip could look like this:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Be...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

can't wait to read some idea

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'd say you can ride everything that you will be able to find in one day. Get a map in town. Ride the Town Loops then down Charlie's to Stickhouse/Shween. Find your way through the Gershman property (not mapped, but not too hard to do) and over to the High School. Up Pipeline onto Trapp's property. Either go around their property, or pay for a pass and ride Luce Hill. Ride down Kimmer's. From there you could either ride down Rt. 108 back to where you started or ride up Hardy's Haul and take Haul Rd back to Trapp's down Pipeline and back toward town from there.

All the chainsawing is pretty much done, and things should be drying out by the weekend, so have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We already have the map from the last year trip, I guess the map didn't change that much. Right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't think it has changed at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post
    to be back on topic

can you confirm me that it is possible to do the Stowe trails in 1 time in 1 day? If not, which site would you skip?

We are now going on a 4 days trip... 1 waterburry, 1 stowe... maybe 1 in KT, but I rather try something new. Burlington? some idea?

for now, the roadtrip could look like this:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Be...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

can't wait to read some idea
    Hinesburg from the lot on Hinesburg Hollow rd...up and over Carse Hill via front door/henry heights to lincoln hill rd, up into the Hinesburg Town Forrest via Back Door for a quick loop on Dragons Tail to Fire Breather, pick up dragons tail back to back door, then head back through Carse hittin Preacher/crucible/front door back to the car. Pinner to slight return for a bonus loop at the end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Finally, we chose to add Pinehill and Madriver to our destinations (waterburry/stowe).

Maybe I was unlucky, but I didn't find a lot of videos of the different trails... and I think it's surprising... a good surprise??? I'd like to know.

Mountain Bike Vermont: Hinesburg | Bicycling Magazine
    Mountain Bike Trail Map
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Sleepy...m&z=13&iwloc=A
    ±20km de trail, intermédiaire à avancé
    ****no videos on youtube ?

Mountain Bike Vermont: Rutland | Bicycling Magazine
    Pine Hill Park Welcome
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Pine+H...-Unis&t=m&z=11
    trailmap
    http://www.pinehillpark.org/php/Maps_files/MapSat_2.jpg
    ***** the trails don't seem to technical from the little that we saw from the website. Can anybody confirm?
    ****Do you have a to-do-list in order to have fun? Can't wait to see the work they've done for the bridges!

Mountain Bike Vermont: Waitsfield | Bicycling Magazine
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Waitsf...tats-Unis&z=12
    trailmap
    Mad River Riders Mountain Bike Map #1
    Trails description O.o (nice!!!) : http://madriverriders.com/content/Tr...nprint2011.pdf
    j'ai pas trouvé de vidéos qui montre des trails sur le sens du monde...
    Sugarbush Mountain Bike Park: Jen 5 - YouTube
    *****any words? the bike park seems so f**** slowwww... maybe the brake are jammed?
    ***the map has no scale... long trail ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'd skip Pine Hill unless you're looking for less difficult riding. Good place when everything else is wet or if you're near by, but you pass alot of better riding to get there IMO. Waitsfield has good stuff but try and find a guide or hook up with the shop ride at Stark Mtn bike shop corner of rt 17and 100.w

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    we obviously can't beat the sh** out our leg everyday, but if you say that it's a waste of time, we go elsewhere

About Waitsfield, what happen if we are not lucky and there's nobody that is riding the trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rutland is very nice. It's all "built" trails, bench cut everywhere, but a little rougher than your average bench cut trail. It has a few rock gardens, but yeah generally pretty easy riding - that doesn't mean it isn't fun though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have no problem with rough terrain, until it's meaningless... I mean that an endless washboard is no fun at all. I don't ask for a smooth and boring terrain like we usually get at KT. The trails are really fun, but with boring terrain, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast