mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Planning our summer trip

My son and I have been making an annual trip for mountain biking only. We bike locally (MA) and for the last 5 years have gone to the Kingdom Trails. We always camp nearby. This year we'd like to do something a little different. We're going to try lift served trails and I've narrowed my search to 2 mountains. Sunday River & Killington.

My questions are:

1. Can either or both of these mtns be done on hardtails?
    2. Full-face helmets mandatory?
    3. Any camping recommendations nearby?

*edited to add the fact that we'd like to get a small taste of the downhill only. Nothing too technical.
    Last edited by guitrmn; 01-22-2012 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    if your looking for a getaway and want to "try lift served" I wouldn't recommend either of those places. you do realize kingdom has lift served at burke now? If your asking if any lift served can be done on a hardtail haha you shouldn't be going to either of those places you listed. Go to kingdom, buy a trail pass, then go to burke mtn, you don't need a full face helmet, you can do a few of the trails on a hardtail to get a feel for it, make sure your brakes are in good shape and have fun. I would recommend renting a DH rig though, as if you get too much speed and case a jump it's going to hurt... alot. Here's a video of some of the lift served at burke... my buddies on a rental bike, I'm in front of him...

kingdom trails trip 10-8-11 - YouTube
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have you tried Highland Mountain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    manchvegas, thanks for the info. Great video too!

Yes, I realize KT is lift served now. Looking for some different scenery so-to-speak. And no, not asking about "all" lift served trails, just these 2. We pretty much want the whole "Kitchel" experience without the climb.

There are 3 of us that actually go and after some discussion, decided to book Killington.

mtbr member
    no problem... killington looks big, should be good. If you get back up to kingdom an want the Kitchel experience... the new trails there "jester" and "knightslayer" are unbelievable machine made trails.. (the ones in the video) they make kitchel feel boring after you ride em... hopefully they keep building more stuff at burke, as right now it's only like 4-5 trails lift served....
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Have you thought about highland? Also are you looking for more traditional DH trails or something with more jumps? Ive been to Burke twice and the trails are amazing, and ive also been to killington. Killington is very big and is very Technical you definantly couldnt ride that on a hardtail and you would surely need a Full face.

I'd Huck That....
    Check out Millstone Trails in VT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    And, just down the hill from Killington in Rutland City is Pine Hill Park. Google it!
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    And if you go eight miles down rt 100 north there are twenty miles of worthy, free to the public trails in Pittsfield, aka Green Mountain Trails http://www.greenmountaintrails.com. There's beautiful primitive camping at Gifford State Park right next to Killington Access Road. If you want the whole experience of the immediate region (a best of, in terms of mountain biking) ride Killington, Pittsfield, Pine Hill, and check out the incredible new trails in Moosalamoo near Brandon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can ride Killington on a hard tail, I did it for years. There are "easier" trails, and sketchy wet rocky root filled ones. I'd stay of the latter. If you feel the need there are 2 nearby shops that rent DH rigs. If its really wet head down to Pine Hill. It's easily rideable on a HT and dries out fast.

Full face helmets are not mandatory.

Closest camping is Gifford woods, right off the access road, about 1/2 mile down rt.100n. Although many of the hotels offer great off season rates.