mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pine Hill Park - Route Recommendation

Going to be up in the Rutland area on Saturday and plan on riding at Pine Hill Park. Never been before so looking to see if anyone can recommend a good loop that covers most/all of the park.

mtbr member
    My favorite is Escaltor -> Svelte Tiger -> Droopy Muffin -> Underdog -> Overlook -> Stegosaurus -> Strong Angel -> Lonely Rock -> Rembrandts Brush -> Watkins Woods Rd. -> Halfpipe -> Escaltor. Should be about 5 or 6 miles.
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    I like:
    Escaltor -> Svelte Tiger -> Droopy Muffin -> Underdog ->999->overlook->stegosaurus->strong angel->santas little helper->lonely rock->Rembrandts brush, sissyphus to halfpipe. The new stuff on Broken Handlebar is pretty sweet as well..drops, big tabletop

trail magician
    Oh fun. Do this.

Furlough > Rembrandt's Brush > Lonely Rock >Doorknob > Overlook >Stegosauraus (top 3) > Doorknob >999 > underdog >Droopy Muffin > Svelte Tiger

Top of Droopy Muffin to Svelte is one of the best sectionsof trail in VT, imo. Just saying. SO many good combinations though. Oh and, you have to do halfpipe to finish any ride.

Actually, underdog is better in the other direction now that they added the berm bridge thing amazingness.
    Too many trails, so little time!

http://www.strava.com/athletes/645372

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's mine:
    Escaltor -> Svelte Tiger -> Droopy Muffin -> Underdog -> Overlook-> Jersey Turnpike -> Santa's Little Helper -> Droopy Muffin -> Svelte Tiger -> Escalator

There's so many good routes though, you can't go wrong with any of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Late to the party, but I'll add mine...

Furlough-> Sisyphus-> Svelte Tiger -> Underdog ->Overlook ->Stegosaurus -> PA4J -> 999 ->Overlook ->PA4J -> Strong Angel ->Jersey Turnpike -> Lonely Rock - Rembrandt's Brush -> Watkins Wood ->Halfpipe

Little longer, but if you miss out on Strong Angel, you missed one of the better sections of trail in the park.
    2005 Cannondale Jekyll with Manitou Minute Super 140mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I saw a few videos on Youtube and this looks like a rocking place!
    Is it technical? Out of 5 (5 being the hardest)? Say Kingdom Trails is a 3/5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For the most part it is not very technical. More fast, flowy and bermy. Park sees a lot of trail runners too, so they keep it more buffed out then tech.

Definitely doesn't take the fun away though.

mtbr member
    KT is a 3? I need to get back there i guess. The mountain side wasn't open when i was there last.

InCharaWeTrust
    My wife and I are begginers. Do you guys think this is a good system for the "less" skilled?

mtbr member
    You will not have any problems as long as you avoid 999, Stegosaurus, Broken Handlebar and Halfpipe...even those you might be able to get down with some care.

InCharaWeTrust
    Quote Originally Posted by jlkvt View Post
    You will not have any problems as long as you avoid 999, Stegosaurus, Broken Handlebar and Halfpipe...even those you might be able to get down with some care.
    Thanks, the wife has done a couple of blue trails (Bemis and vast i think...it was a womens ride so did not go with her) at KT (we live 5 mins from there) and did ok on them . However we went to Trapp and she tried the "easiest" blue single track they had and it was way over her head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Due to the largely non-technical, buffed-out design of most of the trails at Pine Hill, it lends itself as a great place to get introduced to singletrack (so long as there is a reasonable level of fitness - the entire early part of the ride is climbing). As was mentioned, avoid Halfpipe, Stegosaurus, Broken Handlebar, and 999 as those are the more advanced or technical trails in the network.

I just recently took a first-time singletracker there, and they were not over their head on anything. The route I took him was:
    Escalator -> Svelte Tiger -> Sisyphus -> Rembrandt's Brush -> Sore Elbow. At this point he was tired from the climb in, so we shot up to Rocky Pond via Pond Road, then returned via Pond Road to come down Svelte Tiger back to Escalator to the trail head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you are spending the day there, you will likely be able to ride every trail you want. Pistol75's recommendation (which is similar to the one on the map at the trailhead) took me about 1 1/4 hrs. I went back for more by riding Birches/Vista/Ledges/Salamander/PA4J/Lonely Rock/Annex/Sore Elbow/Woods Rd/Freefall in another 45 min. or so.

mtbr member
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by jlkvt View Post
    The new stuff on Broken Handlebar is pretty sweet as well..drops, big tabletop
    I agree and was quite surprised when I saw this yesterday. Very well laid out! Having a safe jump in the park like this will help riders progression immensely!!!

I ended up hiking out there with my wife this AM, so I brought my big bike out and played around for a bit...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pine Hill Park - Route Recommendation-nh2.jpg  

Last edited by KillingtonVT; 08-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.